GD 1938 - the Future or maybe just a direction

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

RE: GD 1938 - the Future or maybe just a direction

Post by ernieschwitz »

Sounds like someone made a boo-boo, in programming...

Looks around, hoping to put blame on someone else.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Don´t worry, I can fix it, but ongoing games are probably lost. Since territory taken by initimidation will turn into other countries property, when drift has set them to do that...

So I am sorry for your game, and others, I will fix it, in the next version. Bombur has the edit rights, at the moment for the file, but when he is done, I will do it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

I've found out that the same unit can be seen as different picture by different regimes.
So, in fact Germany can have their own Tank Destroyer III or IV (with the same stats as default).
Lots of work, but one can dream ;)

PS: What about increasing number of staff points for more advanced staff SFTs? Now it looks like Staff I and Staff II have the same general abilities, only combat is better. But staff is not combat unit.
Attachments
jagdpanther.jpg
jagdpanther.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 139 times
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Ok, Hanti, you´re half right on planes. Yours is a He-111, but it is the He-111H, not the He-111E. Look at the glass nose. Anyway, thank you for your contributions. I´ve sent a selection of your graphics to ernie and they will be incorporated to next version, I hope.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I noticed Hanti remarks in the community forum. He is right we made some units generic and other custom. It won´t be possible to create custom units for all countries, unless we start to made fantasy units. This happens because most countries lacked some specific units. For instance, USSR never had naval fighters. Italy didn´t have dive bombers and so on. I think I can add more custom units as soon I get edit rights back, and if ernie agrees.
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

"It won´t be possible to create custom units for all countries" but "the same unit can be seen as different picture by different regimes".

So some units can be "custom" only graphically. Some can't be at all (as Bombur mentioned).
Anyway there can be lots of other custom units (my example was German tank destroyers).

[;)] This is my "custom picture" of Tiger I (contemporary made)

Attachments
TigerI.jpg
TigerI.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 139 times
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Maybe I also could create fantasy units.....and also mix historic with generic units....
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Maybe I also could create fantasy units.....and also mix historic with generic units....

I don't know yet. All generic units are fantasy anyway (Italian Heavy Tank IV, French Dive Bomber IV). I would go that way: first units that were existed and can be customized (fully or graphically) then the rest.

Hint: Halftrack vs Heavy Truck. Truck weights more, use more supply, carry the same, costs the same, is more fragile and does not shoot. Who needs Heavy Truck then?

Question: Don't you think it's too easy to sink ships with airpower (divebombers/torpedobombers)? Is it useless to build ships?

I used 8-10 divebombers squadron (experienced of 50+) to kill virtually all ships around.
Maybe ships should get "kill-becomes-retreat" value?

Question: Why should I use SPAA I (cost 1500, supply 8, hp 400, fuel 1/2/1) if I can use halftrack plus 20mm flak (cost 1000+500=1500, supply 8+5=13, hp 500+150=650, fuel 1/2/1)?

Both aa cannons have the same firepower but halftrack adds its own and it can carry a few those guns.

This is "custom" picture for Italy: Battleship Roma.

Attachments
Battleship..a_1940.jpg
Battleship..a_1940.jpg (6.37 KiB) Viewed 139 times
═══
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: LJBurstyn

The biggest thing would be achievable victory conditions for all the players. Some have goals that are not IMHO achievable.
Also give victory conditions that don't REQUIRE one nation to fight another specific nation to achieve any one of their goals (...).

As I have noticed USA has one of its victory conditions set as "carte blanche" - achieve XX number of victory points (in fact: conquer number of random important cities).
Maybe these conditions could be added to every nation (such "wild card").
═══
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The structure of the current victory conditions were chosen very carefully. Giving every nation a "carte blanche" would be destabilize the behavioral pattern that the victory conditions create. Say Germany and the Soviet Union both had a "Carte Blanche" option, choosing basically whatever conditions they would want to win, they would no longer need to go to war. That would then (play testing showed before the victory conditions were implemented) lead to the Soviet Union and Germany basically being best friends, each game.

EDIT: Which was something we found simply too far fetched from history.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

WADR Ernie, the current 'state of play' is essentially bypassing the intentions of the automatic DOW mechanic. Not the same as what Hanti mentioned but still something that gets away from the designers intent - IMHO.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Hanti
ORIGINAL: Bombur

I don't know yet. All generic units are fantasy anyway (Italian Heavy Tank IV, French Dive Bomber IV). I would go that way: first units that were existed and can be customized (fully or graphically) then the rest.

Hint: Halftrack vs Heavy Truck. Truck weights more, use more supply, carry the same, costs the same, is more fragile and does not shoot. Who needs Heavy Truck then?

Question: Don't you think it's too easy to sink ships with airpower (divebombers/torpedobombers)? Is it useless to build ships?

I used 8-10 divebombers squadron (experienced of 50+) to kill virtually all ships around.
Maybe ships should get "kill-becomes-retreat" value?

Question: Why should I use SPAA I (cost 1500, supply 8, hp 400, fuel 1/2/1) if I can use halftrack plus 20mm flak (cost 1000+500=1500, supply 8+5=13, hp 500+150=650, fuel 1/2/1)?

Both aa cannons have the same firepower but halftrack adds its own and it can carry a few those guns.

Aren't trucks "rear area" units ?

Ron Swanson
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Why doesn't occupation tech work on China? It works on Korea but not Chinese cities for Japan
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

It was a change made to fascilitate that conquering majors was less attractive, compared to conquering minors. In other words, major countries home people will struggle more against your attempts to make them work for you than minors.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Aren't trucks "rear area" units ?

They both are "rear area" units. Heavy Truck needs more fuel (3/3/3 vs. 1/2/1), is wheeled insted of tracked, does not have recon points and has less hp.
So who needs Heavy Truck then?

American "custom" assault gun suggestion. Sherman M4 105 (howitzer).

PS: What is strange is that in turn when US gets possibility to declare war, there is no info about it. I just see the standard isolationists info disappeared.
Attachments
Sherman_Tank_105.jpg
Sherman_Tank_105.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 137 times
═══
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Hanti, I will work in your suggestions ASAP, I also need to know what will be ernie´s decision on future development of GD1938
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

They both are "rear area" units. Heavy Truck needs more fuel (3/3/3 vs. 1/2/1), is wheeled insted of tracked, does not have recon points and has less hp.
So who needs Heavy Truck then?

Maybe they are cheaper to produce ?

Ron Swanson
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

No. As for now, just build halftracks and don't use points on heavy trucks ;)

This is "custom" picture for French Battleship-I ships (class Bretagne). Instead of "generic" Gangut picture.

PS: I just wonder why NIGHT versions of things have 0/0 attack points vs. land units.
Attachments
Bretagnec..nchBBI.jpg
Bretagnec..nchBBI.jpg (9.47 KiB) Viewed 137 times
═══
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Night bombers are intended for strategic bombing only. This could be changed in the future.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”