2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

stevemk1a

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Post by stevemk1a »

For me, Steel Panthers ... (actually SPWAW). was always the playable ASL for the computer. I paid (literally [:)])$1000's of dollars on ASL stuff when I was in my early 20's and couldn't really afford it ... finding SPWAW on a cd gamer demo disc 15 or so years ago was a relevation to me, I loved it. I still have all the ASL stuff somewhere in my basement mostly unused (but I loved to read the manuals and scenario cards [8D]). I played the heck out of Steel Panthers and I would love to see it updated as original as possible, just improved. SPWAW and I have grown apart, but I want her back [:(]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

If this new game engine for Steel Tigers is based on Battlefield Academy game engine it better not have the same cartoon graphics.

From ESPN: Awwww cmon man!! [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Just to put to rest one rumor - Steel Tigers is _not_ going to be "watered down". [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Is the Achron engine 3D? If so can it do multiple heights, like units on bridges over other units on the ground or river below?
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Just to put to rest one rumor - Steel Tigers is _not_ going to be "watered down". [8D]

That's what I wanted to hear! Now you got my interest.
Thanks Erik
fvianello

Post by fvianello »

Steel Tigers is what you have all been waiting for, no more details for now, but when we can share we will. [8D]

YEAH!
H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

ORIGINAL: wodin

OK just read that the SUB engine i.e Battle Academy is the basis of the new Archon engine that will be used for Steel Tigers....make your own conclusions.

From Pip over at Slitherine

"We are continuing to support the STUB engine going forward, and it is the basis for the new Archon engine too.

Cheers

Pip"

So is ST going to be a watered down Steel Panthers that will sell on mobiles etc, like a gritty Battle Academy? I know there is Tigers on the Hunt in development which you'll say is for the hardcore however in my opinion it has a long way to go and isn't what a new SP would be like. I really hope this isn't the case and ST is a true successor to SP doing what SP did well even better and adding to it. Combat Leader was looking like it could have been the new SP but you dropped it!!
You are confusing engines with games. Even with BA the only thing stopping a game from being as hardcore as SP++++ is the designer. STUB and Archon are designed to put all the power in the hands of the designer. ST is going to lead on PC, no compromises.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

WOOT !!!
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

OK just read that the SUB engine i.e Battle Academy is the basis of the new Archon engine that will be used for Steel Tigers....make your own conclusions.

From Pip over at Slitherine

"We are continuing to support the STUB engine going forward, and it is the basis for the new Archon engine too.

Cheers

Pip"

So is ST going to be a watered down Steel Panthers that will sell on mobiles etc, like a gritty Battle Academy? I know there is Tigers on the Hunt in development which you'll say is for the hardcore however in my opinion it has a long way to go and isn't what a new SP would be like. I really hope this isn't the case and ST is a true successor to SP doing what SP did well even better and adding to it. Combat Leader was looking like it could have been the new SP but you dropped it!!
You are confusing engines with games. Even with BA the only thing stopping a game from being as hardcore as SP++++ is the designer. STUB and Archon are designed to put all the power in the hands of the designer. ST is going to lead on PC, no compromises.

Cheers

Pip

WOOT WOOT !

Ron Swanson
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Righto. There used to be rumours and claims that Civilization IV would be watered down or simplified before it was released. It wasn't.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I got absolutely no worries on this one. 2by3's record on games is impeccable, and I can't imagine they would have pulled the trigger on resurrecting (well, that's the wrong word as WinSPWW2 and WinSPWAW are both doing quite fine...) this franchise unless they were confident the time was right and the right engine there.

So I'll just go back to drooling on what is to come.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Seriously, if it goes that route, I will wait until the "platinum edition" goes on sale for $5, and let the others pay $100 for another stupid Bulge game.

...Or another stupid Eastern Front game. How can people not be sick of that front. It's been done over and over by multiple publishers since the birth of PC gaming in 1978 at which I was present and have been playing since.

NO MORE EAST FRONT! How about Italy, or the Pacific, Southern France - HELL! Even another N. Africa or maybe Korea 50.

But please GOD! No more Eastern front. Give it a freakin' rest!
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
wodin

Post by wodin »

Never get sick of the east front..aslong as the game brings something new how can you..if you went with that kind of philosophy no more wargames would be made by now.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Never get sick of the east front.. as long as the game brings something new how can you..if you went with that kind of philosophy no more wargames would be made by now.

New...
That's the problem. It's all been done before. Only so many ways you can treat it.

Ah well...
Each to his own. We're all different. Imagine how boring the world would be if we were all the same.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Zipuli

Post by Zipuli »

Brilliant news! If only the other good things from my youth would make a comeback ;)
wodin

Post by wodin »

Well I have several different wargame design ideas floating around my head that are totally unique. SO I don't think it's all been done before at all..infact innovation in digital wargames has barely moved on from boardgames. Infact I think digital wargames have been hindered by boardgames.

it's all about thinking outside the box and designing a wargame without what's gone before influencing you. It's barely happened.

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326
Seriously, if it goes that route, I will wait until the "platinum edition" goes on sale for $5, and let the others pay $100 for another stupid Bulge game.

...Or another stupid Eastern Front game. How can people not be sick of that front. It's been done over and over by multiple publishers since the birth of PC gaming in 1978 at which I was present and have been playing since.

NO MORE EAST FRONT! How about Italy, or the Pacific, Southern France - HELL! Even another N. Africa or maybe Korea 50.

But please GOD! No more Eastern front. Give it a freakin' rest!

or... how about a Steel Tigers WW One ! <gasp>

Ron Swanson
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hurrah!!

Good news. I was a little concerned once I read about the engine.

Going back to the East front and all been done one game in development Decisive Campaigns 3 is bringing some major new features\mechanics which are a breath of fresh air and will bring a whole new Eats front wargame experience to our screens..so as I said it's all about innovation or lack of it that makes a War or Theatre stale\boring.

Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

The thing is if you want a tactical level game where the sides are remotely equivalent in strength and we have historical data to use as a basis - WW2 is the most recent option.

Same deal for large scale operational or strategic level games.

But there is an enormous amount of uncharted territory within WW2 - for example I've just finished up Viscount Slim's autobiography and I'd love to see a game that focused tightly on the Burma-India campaigns from 42 to 45 and the unique nature of that theatre.

e: I really want to love AGEOD for the incredible breadth of periods they cover with their games and I think it's great that they do that, but the sheer terribleness of their engine makes it impossible to recommend them to anyone.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

But there is an enormous amount of uncharted territory within WW2 - for example I've just finished up Viscount Slim's autobiography and I'd love to see a game that focused tightly on the Burma-India campaigns from 42 to 45 and the unique nature of that theatre.

I believe Frank Hunter is working on one for the CBI theater. If Piercing Fortress Europa is any indication of its quality, I'm really looking forward to it. My grandfather served there, so always been wanting a good operational level coverage of it.

Return to “General Discussion”