1942 test!

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

jungelsj_slith

RE: 1942 test!

Post by jungelsj_slith »

Thanks for the feedback - yes! Stuka sirens are a must.. I'll try and see if its possible to make a unique sound per A/C

Data files - yeah baked in, only need assets like sounds and icons if the scenario calls them. Once data files are further along and a bit cleaner, I can upload a more finished version if anyone wants to make scenarios
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sorry, sounds are generic by type. You could redo the airstrike audio but it could play for any aircraft.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

I see, thanks. I noticed a prop plane sound in the audio directory as well as a prop plane icon - is there a unit type that will play those sounds? I couldn't find any, only saw jets in the database (may have missed it.)
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

That book is on order. BUT that's just one of dozens of books that cover the Eastern Front. My library has more than 2000 books in it. About a third of those deal with the Eastern Front.

We won't have a problem doing WW2 when the time comes.

Good Hunting.

MR

In an older thread it was suggested/mentioned that a game focused on a specific unit would be very interesting, so when this book came out I thought that a game based on the many battles involving Grossdeutschland and/or 2nd Tank Army on the 43/44 East Front would be great as a possible FPC follow up.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Molotov_billy, hi,

This is incredible stuff.. have reached 14 . 45 and fight is truly on. Note to self.. must remember not to form – up for an assault in view of the enemy. You get a “stonk...” delivered on to your men’s heads.. :).

More thoughts later.. getting late here in the UK... but the conversions works fantastically. Maybe artillery a little too good at counter battery and enemy HQ hunting for WWII/1942 by both sides? Setting up and “networking in...” to continue support too quickly after a move? That sort of thing ... but that is what national settings are for after more thought.

Anyway congratulations.. all I hoped for.. may now have to teach myself how to make maps.. :).

All the best,
Kip.

jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

nice! Glad someone is enjoying it. Should have a lot of your guys' suggestions in the next build, delayed artillery etc
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks MB. Have downloaded and will try out asap. It's not a historical fight, just a test, right?
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Thanks MB. Have downloaded and will try out asap. It's not a historical fight, just a test, right?

Yep. Historical weapons/units/formations, but a generic scenario in one of the stock maps.

Will do some real maps/missions once the data is solid and everything plays well
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: molotov_billy

Who said:

We aren't looking at a WW2 expansion of the series?

That some serious fighting took place in some of our current map locations?

That the system can't show infantry combat for WW2 at the current scale?

Good Hunting.

MR

I certainly didn't say any of that! The Flashpoint game engine is amazing, and I'm looking forward to anything you guys do with it.

We get bumps every so often about what we are or aren't doing. I just lumped all the questions into one place about what, where, when, why...and put out there that I would imagine before it crossed people's minds to ask us about it we have looked at it as a possibility to create for the series.

Not poking at your post specifically. Just making a comment in general.

What could very well happen is, that before we get there, a bunch of you modders may take the game series there on your own!

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Great scenario and WWII mod.. :).

Really is when played through to the end and you review the setup and units. .. This is the real deal..

Very professional.. :).

All the best,
Kip.

wodin

Post by wodin »

I'd imagine at 500m hex it would have to be Coy scale? I haven't seen any WW2 wargame actaully using that hex scale..well none I cna recall anyway. I do agree really at the scale of unit FC uses then WW2 really needs to be around 200m.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Wodin, our plan is to use 250m hexes for WW2 era fights and also any infantry heavy conflicts with the Southern Storm game engine.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Wodin, our plan is to use 250m hexes for WW2 era fights and also any infantry heavy conflicts with the Southern Storm game engine.

are you dropping the entire engine down to 250m hexes or some way of changing between 250m & 500m hexes?
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The plan is that there will be two scales. One for WW2 and infantry centric battles (250 meters per hex) and a scale for the longer ranged modern weapons systems (500 meters per hex). Now, having said that, testing could prove that this is a great plan or a not so great plan. We'll just have to see how it turns out when we get there.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
KEYSTONE0795

Post by KEYSTONE0795 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'd imagine at 500m hex it would have to be Coy scale? I haven't seen any WW2 wargame actaully using that hex scale..well none I cna recall anyway. I do agree really at the scale of unit FC uses then WW2 really needs to be around 200m.

Multi-man publishing's GTS series is a WW2 series that uses company units at 500 meters per hex. Very good system.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Well... I hope we will be able to use 500m for WWII. Clearly we are into “each to their own...” but at the tactical level, in wargame terms, I always go for true tactical games.

The semi-operational feel is the magic in Flashpoint for me.. :).

All the best,
Kip.

Tazak

Post by Tazak »

The plan is that there will be two scales. One for WW2 and infantry centric battles (250 meters per hex) and a scale for the longer ranged modern weapons systems (500 meters per hex). Now, having said that, testing could prove that this is a great plan or a not so great plan. We'll just have to see how it turns out when we get there.

Good Hunting.

MR

That would be very cool, if it is technically (code wise) possible, it'll be very nice to be able to switch scale for different battles in a campaign - 1 battle your leading a armour heavy battalion size group while the next battle your leading a dismounted infantry coy in a 'recon in force' mission
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
governato

Post by governato »

I think molotov_billy effort is great and I have offered some behind the scenes support ;).

It is possible that the best WWII scenarios to be developed at 500m/hex would be later in the war (engagements distance was higher) with lots of exploiting tanks and artillery preparation...umm so difficult to find. I think the true fun/value will be in testing a slower/clumsier C&C and arty support.
Also, having an idea of what an historical scenario outcome should be very helpful.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Governato,

“I think the true fun/value will be in testing a slower/clumsier C&C and arty support.”

Exactly so.. !

In wargame terms “operational..” means, to me, you issue the orders and then wait nervously for the results to come in. But don’t do the actual fighting. i.e. place the actual AT guns, put covering fire on a building and storm it in a certain way most appropriate to the circumstances.

In fact I am thinking of using Flashpoint as one form of operational layer for Combat Mission.

But operational games, with all their “running in mud..” feel are themselves incredible fun and create their own tension and immersion. I would love to see operational games use 1 : 50000 or in the case of Flashpoint 1 : 25000 style, topographical maps. Rather than the “satellite picture..” style. Although the maps in Flashpoint are themselves wonderful things.. I agree.

All the best,
Kip.
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yes, it's company scale @ 500m, with the exception of a few heavy weapons platoons etc (If you were referring to the mod that is.)

Makes sense to me at least, in that a company tended to be the smallest unit that moved independantly - not a lot of platoons did their own thing without radios etc.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”