Question about parachute assaults

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

richlove

Question about parachute assaults

Post by richlove »

I am planning to use these guys to assault Salamaua:

[center]Image[/center]

I am trying to figure out what devices in its current TOE will drop, and how many transport planes I'd need to drop them. From michaelm, I have:
Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Common for ready devices:
b) Aviation support - 2 devices moved plus 2 more if a/c max load is 7500 or more
c) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

Common for disabled devices:
d) Aviation support - 2 devices moved
e) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

Looking at Tracker, the Para Squad and Support are both categorized as squads, so they'd qualify under a) above. The Engineers are not squad devices and have a load cost of 10, so they would not.

48 squad devices loaded onto C-47s (max load 6000) ===> 48 planes. Is my understanding correct?
Thanks!
HansBolter

RE: Question about parachute assaults

Post by HansBolter »

Never bothered to try to calculate it to a nats behind.

You might want to consider having extra to carry supply.

Hans

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Never bothered to try to calculate it to a nats behind.

You might want to consider having extra to carry supply.

+1

richlove

Post by richlove »

I'm worried about not having enough transport groups to make the operation a success, not about making sure I have the perfect number of groups.

Is it correct to say that the engineers won't drop?
tiemanjw

Post by tiemanjw »

ORIGINAL: richlove

I'm worried about not having enough transport groups to make the operation a success, not about making sure I have the perfect number of groups.

I can't answer for para-drop, but I move engineers and combat engineers by air transport on a regular basis. The manual says the air drop max "load" is 7 (as you state above), and the air transport max "load" is 9. Engineers (in stock) only have a load cost of 8, but US combat engineers cost 10. Since 10 > 9, I always assumed that meant the devices under "type" "engineer" in were "squads" and treated as such. (note "engineer vehicle" is a "type" vehicle, and not a "type" engineer - hence it won't transport by air).
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: richlove

Engineers in para-capable LCUs don't parachute. They walk or ride. I have some touring some nice jungle hexes right now.
The Moose
richlove

Post by richlove »

Got it, thank you!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”