Winter 41 - Axis Strategy

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Grandkenyon84

Winter 41 - Axis Strategy

Post by Grandkenyon84 »

Hi,

I am playing a buddy by email. As the German player it is approaching the end of October and I am beginning to worry about the upcoming winter Soviet counter offensive.

What is the best ways to mitigate the effects of the winter conditions? Prepare for the counter attack?

All Advice and comments welcome.

Thanks.

loki100

RE: Winter 41 - Axis Strategy

Post by loki100 »

there are a lot of choices, some based on the relative context of the specific game, some based on your mindset and so on.

Good idea is to have a look at the AARs - there are a few ongoing for the current patch that are currently reporting on the first winter so that may give you an idea of the range of options and their pros and cons?
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Any particular one that we can check out? I'm interested as well having only played v AI and am heading into winter in a pbem and would like to get some ideas. Browsing through them, but so far most have skipped over the first winter. Cheers!
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

I haven't play 1941's blizzard since 1.08.

From my experience:
1) Normal winter rules
Decembrer is hell. Nothing to do but give ground except if you have inflicted more than 4M losses to the USSR
At some time from january to february, you will be able to hold the line

1) Mild winter
More fun.
December is still really difficult.
North of Kaluga, it should hold
South of Kaluga, give some ground and use cities as anchors.
February is no more an issue.
Personnaly, I burn my Pzd While defending during this period. Others bring back in Poland their best Infs to keep a bulk of 90+ morale units for 1942
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

Any particular one that we can check out? I'm interested as well having only played v AI and am heading into winter in a pbem and would like to get some ideas. Browsing through them, but so far most have skipped over the first winter. Cheers!

there are two that are both in mid-Jan 42 (mine and M60s). Think this will give you an idea of how divergent views are, both are mild winter and in one the German is doing a very controlled and contested retreat, in the other they are gambling on having a core of a fresh elite army for 1942 while the bulk of their infantry are being battered.

Stef78 is right, with mild winter, if you contest the Soviet offensive, then by Feb you should be able to attack locally and March (if you get snow) is an ideal chance to make the Soviets pay.

Pelton-SmokinDave is another good one (I think with 1.08).
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

tm.asp?m=3738744
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

These are great, thanks guys. I think in my game I'll need to play very cautious and give ground as iirc we are playing regular blizzard and +1 Soviet attack, so will likely be a hellish winter. XD
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Are Russians strong enough to make German divisions retreat with hasty attacks in standard blizzard?
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Northern Star

Are Russians strong enough to make German divisions retreat with hasty attacks in standard blizzard?

In some cases, I lost over 40 divisions during blizzard to TDV and he only had 4.5 million men going into blizzard.

Game was a blood bath, I had under 3 million men and he had under 4 million by end of summer of 42, we called it a draw to play under next patch.

He won that game, again after I lost 40+ divisions during blizzard.

+1 and normal blizzard in the hands of an expert like TDV/Katza/MT/Hoooper/Bomazz/Kamil was simply Middle Earth. The guys new the rule set and had all the skills.

Why the options are part of the game now.

None of them ever lost a single game as Russia and none were close, game was way out of balance all things being equal. None could come close to defeating the other playing GHC not even close.

Be interesting to see how they do now.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “The War Room”