2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Because the original had "implied" terrain elevations anyway to determine LOS, imaging how much better if would be to actually view the battlefield in a 3D mode.

So, chew on that !
I chewed that with Combat Mission 2 and MegaMek. Didn't like it. In case of MegaMek, I prefer it 2d. I play Civ4 and like it a lot, but at times 3d is hindrance: I click on a unit in the map, but instead another unit in tile below it gets selected. Don't like.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Much like everything that changes I feel SPWAW graphics should change also. The top down board game look is getting old even I will admit that in my 60's. Isometric of 3d I think is here to stay. Look at Ageod's icons even. They don't lay down flat on the map and look pretty good I think. Hopefully that's the way Matrixgames and Slitherine will see it also. Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]
Are Unity of Command and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon for old grognards becouse those aren't 3d?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Isn't the game engine being made by Slitherine and not 2by3? I read Slitherine is making an in-house game engine for multiple games and Steel Tigers will be the first game to use it. That means 2by3 will be doing all the other stuff and not the actual graphics engine used. I expect it will be 3D.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]
Are Unity of Command and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon for old grognards becouse those aren't 3d?

And I don't play or want either of those. [:D]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

Isn't the game engine being made by Slitherine and not 2by3? I read Slitherine is making an in-house game engine for multiple games and Steel Tigers will be the first game to use it. That means 2by3 will be doing all the other stuff and not the actual graphics engine used. I expect it will be 3D.

Yahooooooo scooby dooby doooooooo!![:'(]
wodin

Post by wodin »

My wish list..

I want top down graphics, WEGO\ Simulation turns (this should be the major new feature for SP\Tactical wargame made by 2by3, I also want squad size units and individual vehicles. Campaigns, dynamic weather, detailed damage model, multi story buildings, Cellars, Fortified buildings, sewers, be able to breach walls, leaders, detailed AAR's, award\medal mechanic, detailed unit stats, huge selection of vehicles and weapons, a good close combat mechanic, air support, off map Arty, Counter Battery, well made maps with decent amount of terrain features like walls both high and low, raised railway embankments, ravines, variety of crops and different heights depending on season etc etc, maybe get rid of hexes and use pixel movement this would help solve oddities with regards to terrain abstraction , high level command for very big scenarios so you can give orders to platoon or even company, good selection of SOP's, a good choice of FOW settings\options upto friendly FOW, AI Allies and finally a great TAC AI.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Nice "wish" Wodin but I HIGHLY doubt you're going to get all that.

My wish is simple. Same game better 3d graphics. [&o]
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I second Wodin's list but also acknowledge the unrealistic expectations of it.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Just as a thought, I wonder if Steel Tigers should take on a pseudo-Crusader Kings 2/ Europa Universalis model of development and distribution. AKA, start with a reasonably sized aspect of the war (East Front 41-5, come on there is no other option), then expand gradually with DLC for other theaters, all the while (and this is critical), updating the core game and owned DLC for free, just like CK2 does now. That would allow a fairly constant revenue stream, and might make for a lot more detailed and specific theater details as each one is "hand-crafted." And it might be a model that would keep Steel Tigers being updated and improved for as long as many of us have been playing Steel Panthers (aka approaching 20 years.)

And heck, I'd have no issue in a Steel Panthers sequel paying for cosmetic DLC like Paradox constantly releases, for example desert camouflage on tanks or some such.

But the key is to do it like Paradox does on CK2, of always making the core changes to the engine available free to all, while broadening the game through new bought content for those who chose to. I could also see Steel Tigers being a game which could potentially be very successful on Steam--- I mean CK2 came out of near no-where, and it's probably a more obtuse and complex game than the original Steel Panthers.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Nope, that ^^^ won't do. Steel Tigers needs to keep the old system of "everything" in one package. It's what sold me on the game in the first place getting all the nations to play against one another. Talk about a great "what if" game. SPWAW gave that in spades. I don't or won't ever buy DLC, now on occasion I will buy an expansion. But, by no means will I be nickeled and dimed with DLC. Even if it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW. If it's $60 to $80 out the chute then fine. I'm for that but not charging me for every little thing in the game. I don't buy Paradox's stuff that way and I won't buy this that way.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Unrealisitic I agree..but what I game that would be...Also it's not like 2by3 couldn't do it.
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Have faith people. We have the original designers of Steel Panthers and the founder of SSI making the new game. I am sure they know what they are doing.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

wodin, it sounds like your wishes would create another CM/Panzer Command type of game. Why another one of those? Aren't they good enough now? I want the tried and true IGO-UGO style, hexes and the like so you can have easily done pbem games with results as soon as you move and fire. I dislike plotting moves -- especially travel columns -- with a passion.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

SPWAW gave that in spades.
Don't you mean SPWAW - Generals Edition?

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

When I talk about SPWAW I'm talking about the whole. I live as a whole. I buy as a whole and some would say I am a hole. [:D]
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I suppose I'll propose my unrealistic wish: to have the option to fight out TOAW3 battles in an SP/Steel Tigers type of game (so inputting the equipment and terrain type from TOAW3, interpreting that into SP/ST forces, fight the battle and the results are exported back to TOAW3).
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Nope, that ^^^ won't do. Steel Tigers needs to keep the old system of "everything" in one package. It's what sold me on the game in the first place getting all the nations to play against one another. Talk about a great "what if" game. SPWAW gave that in spades. I don't or won't ever buy DLC, now on occasion I will buy an expansion. But, by no means will I be nickeled and dimed with DLC. Even if it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW. If it's $60 to $80 out the chute then fine. I'm for that but not charging me for every little thing in the game. I don't buy Paradox's stuff that way and I won't buy this that way.

While I agree that it'd be nice to have all WWII in one game, I also don't see that as realistic. The trend in gaming, to include Matrix/Slitherine games, is to have DLC and expansions to add onto a core game. I don't mind it at all, as I like supporting good games.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Not unrealistic at all. If it can be thought of by me it can be thought of by many. Lot's of people are against DLC maybe not as many by expansions and I even said I'll buy an expansion from time to time. Don't ever forget the "silent" majority also. Having looked at steamcharts.com of many of the Slitherine titles that are on Steam they need all the support they can get I'm sure. I just won't be one of them as far as DLC goes.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

When I talk about SPWAW I'm talking about the whole. I live as a whole. I buy as a whole and some would say I am a hole. [:D]
If you mean what you say there, it should not matter to you whether or not given game has DLC or not. Becouse when all the DLC has been made, it all can be sold together with the game itself in one whole package which you can buy. I did just that with Dawn of War and Civilization IV. If you argue against that, then you are hole [:'(]

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”