Apple apparently removing any war games with Confederate flag.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JWW

Apple apparently removing any war games with Confederate flag.

Post by JWW »

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-bans-confederate-flag-apps-2015-6

These stories started appearing about an hour ago. My intent is not to create a political discussion on the Confederate battle flag or any Confederate symbols.

In related matters, Amazon and some companies have said they will no longer sell Confederate battle flag items. And there has been discussion about whether such decisions affect, for example, book covers that may included the battle flag, and similar items.

I am genuinely curious about what Matrix is doing in response to the issue since it appears to be surprisingly spilling over into computer gaming. (My guess on this is that in the current atmosphere, some people are zealously searching out any use of the Confederate battle flag anywhere and raising objections, and companies are making business decisions relative to the matter.)

I implore my fellow forum members to not get this thread locked with unnecessary comments of the type that would cause Matrix to lock the thread before Matrix responds, if Matrix is going to respond. And thanks, Matrix, whether you decide to respond or not. I am just curious about how you plan to handle this, though you may well still be discussing it among yourselves at this point. Thanks.
Chijohnaok2

RE: Apple apparently removing any war games with Confederate flag.

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

Also an article here about this same subject:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/app ... rate-flag/

Will we a year or two from now find all Civil War topic computer games consigned to the dustbin of history?

Will the games remain but be forced to have all Confederate flags depicted in the games modified to some sort of non-historical generic substitute?

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

So what? Many nations in Europe ban the Nazi flag. Doesn't affect in the slightest how the game plays.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
berto

Post by berto »

Unbelievable. I was waiting with bated breath for this to happen. [:(]

But still one more addition to my long list of reasons to boycott Apple. [:)]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
TJD

Post by TJD »

Looks like the developer is not going to comply with Apple. "True stories are more important to us than money".
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

It will be interesting to see what response, if any, we might see from Matrix and NorbSoftDev with regards to Scourge of War: Gettysburg (and its follow on mods--Antietam, Brandy Station, etc).

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: berto

I think like most things in American political and social discussion, this will only last until the next major news event. In this case, that will almost certainly be the Supreme Court decision on gay marriage, which I think will swamp all other news when it is announced Friday or Monday, no matter what the court decides. (And, no, I did not express an opinion on gay marriage, just on how we seem to run from one issue to another in America, led by the 24/7 media.) But it will still be there under the surface and will come up again.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Not sure I even know where to begin with this [:(]

But then I do not understand why games sold in the UK do not display the Swastika; essentially "they" are saying were I to play such a game I would immediately become a disciple of Adolf Hitler, shave my head and join the British National Party [8|]

I think the best that can be said is that some of these companies are at least trying to do what they consider the right thing.

But most executives I suspect, wouldn't even be able to explain why they are seeking to ban this as they have little-to-no grasp on history and it's all about being seen to do "something" by jumping on the next bandwagon to roll into town.

What next? Yes slavery was, is and always will be totally abhorent, but where does this go? Ban the Union Jack, the French tricolour, the Spanish flag, the Belgian, the Portuguese etc etc? How many African flags could be displayed? Why is the Hammer and Sickle allowed?

Surely the best way, the only way, to beat racism (as with all mindless discrimination) is through education - and massive progress continues to be made in this across the globe. What is unhelpful is this kind of gesture politics "Ooooh look at me, I've got such a social conscience, aren't I wonderful"...... [:-]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

Which flag will be removed next?

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
TJD

Post by TJD »

I hope the Dev's stance on this will encourage Matrix, Ageod, Slitherine, and Steam to hold the line too.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You mean it's taken this long? I boycotted Apple and Mac years ago in its infancy. Once I saw the Apple green and orange screens and the colorful commodore 64 colors that was it for me.
berto

Post by berto »

I have no doubt that some among the PC Police would jump at the opportunity to shut down our entire war gaming hobby ("promotes militarism <blah blah> ..."). Not that they could ... not yet anyway.

Think it paranoia? Just to cite one example, if little boys nowadays are expelled from school for playing cops & robbers or cowboys & indians -- bang! bang! -- on the playground, how far-fetched is it to worry that the PC Police may come after us someday?

A world gone mad! [:(]
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

That means games like Norbsoft's Gettysburg and civil war series would be banned? Ageod's Civil War II? Yes, this will be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not boycotting Matrixgames or Slitherine over this. It wasn't the FLAGS fault. It's just a flippin symbol of an era of time in our history. I have one on my wall. Oh I want to say something you know what now but to preserve the thread I won't.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

You mean it's taken this long? I boycotted Apple and Mac years ago in its infancy. Once I saw the Apple green and orange screens and the colorful commodore 64 colors that was it for me.
Me too. My Apple boycott dates back to c. 1980, when I bought my much more capable Commodore 64 for ~1/5th the price of the Apple IIe. Been an Apple hater ever since.
KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

Apple...is full of vinegar!! [:@]
Which flag will be removed next?

[&o]
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

The flag being banned is not even the historical confederate flag anyway.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Well all the noise around banning the flag caused a 9000% increase in sales of online confederate memorabilia(flags and such). So if Matrix decides to eliminate the flag I better buy SOW now before they do.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Like others said, this will all blow over and be forgotten in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see these items gradually make their way back on to store shelves in the near future.

The CEO of Wal-Mart said he was "shocked" to learn that his stores sell such items. He probably hasn't set foot in a Wal-Mart in years. None of the corporate big-wigs making these decisions to ban the flag give a single flip about it, they're only interested in good PR. They didn't care two weeks ago, they won't care in two months.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Madness.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works

Return to “General Discussion”