Game freezing and locking up PC

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

J4yrad

Game freezing and locking up PC

Post by J4yrad »

Anywhere from 15 min to 1 hour into a game the game will freeze and sound will loop requiring a hard restart like a bluescreen except there is no blue screen, event in the event log, or minidump file created. This is the only game this happens in I can play games such as GTA V, Rome 2 Totalwar, and Skylines fine for hours without anything like this happening.
System Specs:
Intel i5 3570 with stock speeds
EVGA Nvidia GTX970 ACX 2.0 SC
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
DeadlyShoe

RE: Game freezing and locking up PC

Post by DeadlyShoe »

despite other games working fine, a hard lock of this nature is likely a hardware fault or driver issue. can you post your dxdiag?

J4yrad

Post by J4yrad »

Here's the Dxdiag. It could be a driver issue because i didn't reformat my C: drive after building the new computer. I don't thinks it's hardware because everything except the PSU and the hard drives are only 3 months old and work correctly in everything else.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(23.3 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

It can be a driver conflict or a conflict created by a 3rd party program.
Try to disable all background programs. You can do this by running msconfig and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services. A tutorial on how to do this can be found below:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications
J4yrad

Post by J4yrad »

Tried doing that and it didn't work. Tried reformatting my C: drive and reinstalling all of my drivers and Windows 7 but itstill freezes the game after 30 min to an hour of play.
Edit: Also ran memtest and my RAM is fine too.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

**edited several times..**

I'm sorry if this doesn't help too much but you obviously have something set wrong in your system.. or hardware/software that Distant worlds conflicts with..

This game runs on thousands of others computers including a whole bunch of systems I've played on including bootcamp which is on an Apple Mac Computer! and it didn't freeze..

you definitely have something conflicting or even possible overheating.. this is a CPU-intense game when the maps are huge and 1000's of ships that it has to calculate..

If you truly clean installed windows and put the latest drivers including installing everything that is required for this game (directx,XNA framework,etc..)then again, that shows a hardware/software conflict on your specific system.. You need to test that same game on a different system.. but then again, we are already doing that.. as it works fine on mine with no freezes..

When You reinstalled your windows, do you know how to properly do a clean reinstall?

YOU MUST BACKUP/SAVE ALL YOUR pictures/music/everything YOU want to keep before you do so..

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/16 ... l?filter[2]

Return to “Tech Support”