Wellington clones.

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

jomni

Wellington clones.

Post by jomni »

I recently played Army vs Army sandbox and to my horror, there are three Wellingtons (overall commander, army commander, corps commander). I guess he historically did those roles but playing this way is kinda strange.

Why not reorganize the OOB to reflect just one Wellington? He can still command the Prussian army commander, then command the Allied Corps commanders. For his own personal corps, he just command the division commanders. Quite strange to command "myself" to maneuver the army / corps. Is this a limitation to the engine?
con20or

RE: Wellington clones.

Post by con20or »

We call them 'Dupes' - they are required to ensure a consistent OOB and to allow you play the overall or lower level wellington as commander. They wont do anything in the scenarios so you can just forget about them.

We have a Side - Army - Corp - Division - Brigade structure in SOWWL and each one needs a head. Having said that I am not the OOB expert but that is what I understand from working with the Dev team, they may have more info for you.
jomni

Post by jomni »

So if I want to play historical, I can just ignore the Wellington clones since I can TC all the subordinate corps commanders and the divisions (of his own corps) anyway. But if I am lazy then I can imagine the clones as some other general assigned to handle the lower echelons.
con20or

Post by con20or »

We toyed with the idea of just calling them "General No Body", we had that in Gettysburg for a few contingencies - but figured it was better to have him in his historic locations in the OOB.

If you really don't like it, it would only take about 60 seconds for you to change the display name in the OOB excel file - you could rename them as "Wellingtons ADC" or something of your choosing. Then pretend they were ADC's relaying the senior Wellington's orders. You could even change the sprite to a generic general to avoid having more than one sprite.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have brought this up before I really can't see the logic of his name appearing twice, He was the overall commander of the Allied army, was there a 3rd Corps. Wellington had the reserve under his command didn't he?
Formerly Goodwood

ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

He had Prince Fredrick in Tubize as you look at the map this would be to the left they were there to guard his flank in case Napoleon sent troops around his flank.
ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

Under Wellinton he had 5th Div Picton, 6th Div Lambert, Nassau Brig, 56 guns, Brunswick Div.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

They should have just used staff officers that were of Wellington's staff. Would have looked a whole lot better.
joemann

Post by joemann »

Why don't you call one of them Wellesly. It would be correct but less confusing.
LittlePowell_NSD

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

ORIGINAL: RCH

They should have just used staff officers that were of Wellington's staff. Would have looked a whole lot better.

Yeah this was my idea. You can blame Norb for denying the request.. lol ;)

But then there's the issue of having a staff officer with the elite attributes that Wellington has. It's a tricky issue, and there's really no perfect solution.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Norb Founder (Army)
Norb Producer (Corps)
Norb Designer (Division)

LOL.

No offence intended!
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”