Winston's Soft Underbelly -- A Dream Realized?

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

Winston's Soft Underbelly -- A Dream Realized?

Post by rkr1958 »

This AAR starts in the middle of a Global War Scenario being played solo, by me. I don't plan to give impulse by impulse or even turn by turn accounts. Well, maybe close to turn by turn accounts starting from this point on?

I think I've followed most of the criticisms posted on this forum against this game,
"MWiF is best played between two or more actual people."
"MWiF doesn't have an AI."
"MWiF doesn't have all the optional rules coded that I need to play."
"MWiF is buggy."

While I don't want this thread and this AAR to degenerate into arguments on the merits of these criticisms, I wish to only take exception to the last, which is "MWiF is buggy." I disagree and find the program very stable given the complexity of the software and the game it's modeling. That's not to say I don't stumble across an occasional bug, which I do, but I find that Steve and Matrix always address and when necessary puts in a fix for it. The most serious bug I've encountered to date was the Italian surrender bug, tm.asp?m=3880105 which occurred in this game (i.e., covered by this AAR). Even then, Steve fixed my game file to correct that bug. And even if he hadn't, I would have found a way to work around this bug the best I could and continue this game.

Now back to the first three criticisms, which I'll (hopefully) leave alone after this paragraph. I would say that the strength or merit of them, in my opinion, is a matter of taste. All I know is that I'm hooked on MWiF and enjoy every aspect of the scenario I'm playing. It's that joy I'd like to share through this abbreviated AAR with this community. I've said this a number of times before and I'll say it apologetically again, MWiF is the most accurate, in-depth and rich WW2 gaming experience that I've had in my 44+ years of playing wargames. It started for me back in 1970, when I was 12, commanding Army Group North with my older brother in command of Army Groups Center and South in a game of Stalingrad against my two cousins.

Now back to my game and this AAR. I just completed the May/June 1943 turn and will be reporting on the status of my game at that point. Over the last two turns I've wondered if this game was what Winston Churchill envisioned as the soft underbelly of the Axis? Would this have been his dream realized? Or will this dream in my game turn into a nightmare for the Western Allies?

Attachments
23churchi..2364949b.jpg
23churchi..2364949b.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: Winston's Soft Underbelly -- A Dream Realized?

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Winston's Soft Underbelly?

Where to start? Probably here is best. In my game as the Western Allies I did intend to deal a knockout blow to Italy. However, I didn't intended to have control of all of Italy (well except for the part with the numerous out of supply German units), have moved into Austria and into the Balkans (Croatia and Bosnia). So how did I get to this point? Well ...

The USA and CW landed between Naples and Rome in the Jul/Aug 1942 turn and built a secure bridgehead there in part due to an o-chit played by the USA. The USA was then able to use a second o-chit on the next turn (Sep/Oct 1942) to capture the city of Rome. With the CW in control of Tripoli and the USA in control of Rome the Western allies only needed one more of the two remaining Italian surrender conditions to knock Italy out. That is, either the captured of a factory not in Rome or having a larger garrison value than the Italians in Italy. The USA played a third o-chit during the Nov/Dec 1942 turn and captured Naples, the needed non-Roman factory, which gave the allies the 3 of 4 conditions necessary for an Italian surrender.

Now as the axis player, not knowing exactly what happened when Italy surrender but assuming that any Italian hexes from the German lines north would be German controlled (bad assumption), I moved in strong German forces opposite the allied positions in central Italy. So when Italy surrendered all hexes not occupied by or in the sole zoc of a German corps went to CW control. This put Kesselring and the German army in Italy under his command out of supply, but not physically trapped by allied units. But, the USA and CW exploited CW control of hexes north of Kesselring's lines in Italy to easily land strong forces behind his (Kesselring's lines) and physically trap him and his forces in Italy. The Germans did mount a strong relief force to try and link up with and reestablish supply to the trapped German army. However, this force which initially made it through to the Italian alps was driven back by the Western allies. When all this was going on, the Soviets took the opportunity to crank things up on the Eastern Front and put some hurt on the Germans there.

Attachments
23SoftUnderBelly.jpg
23SoftUnderBelly.jpg (974.55 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

FLASHBACK. Mar/Apr 1943. Destroyed Pool.

Here are the losses for the prior turn. German SS units suffered badly.

Attachments
1943MarAprLosses.jpg
1943MarAprLosses.jpg (402.59 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. International Relationships.

I need to point out that the US and CW have yet to declare war on Vichy France. So, North Africa, Syria and Metropolitan France are still Vichy and still "neutral".

It was rumored that Winston sent De Gualle a message that they, the CW and USA, would take care of Italy and Germany and that he (De Gualle) and whatever forces he could muster could deal with Vichy. It's only a rumor though.

Attachments
23Relationships.jpg
23Relationships.jpg (372.19 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Optional Rules.

I love all aspects of the global war scenario. I love the land battles, the air battles and the naval battles. I love having to work the production and having to concern myself with the entire world. I just thought I'd get that in before turning to a discussion of the optional rules (or some of them) that I'm using.

1. Extended game length. I plan to play this game out to the bitter end without the "aid" of dropping two atomic bombs on Japan to accelerate their surrender. I'll definitely won't be playing through to Nov/Dec 1952. I just set the length to the max to give me the flexibility I need to properly play this game out to my satisification. As of now, unit production decisions aren't limited to any end date. For example, with the default end date of Jul/Aug 1945, the US would stop 1st cycle builds of large ships (e.g., CVs and BBs) because that couldn't be completed by the end of the game. However, that's not the case in my game at this time. Those types of builds will continue with the same priorities as they did in the early years of this game.

2. Carrier Planes, Pilots. Did I say already I love naval battles and air battles? I really love naval air, carrier battles. I love planning and managing keeping my carriers supplied with planes and pilots and with keeping my army airforces supplied with what they need too.

3. In the Presence of the Enemy. I believe this is an absolute critical optional rule to getting the feel of the Pacific War to play right. I can't image playing without it.

4. 1D10 CRT, Blitz Bonus, HQ Support. I know, I know, the (M)WiF purists play with the 2D10 CRT. However, I just like the feel and play of the 1D10 with Blitz Bonus CRT.

5. Oil. I can't image playing this game without oil. For me it just adds a realism that I've not experienced in other games. In the 1940's when the USA and CW start squeezing Japan with resource and oil embargoes, as the Japanese player I definitely feel the squeeze as my flow of oil has stopped except for the 1 or 2 synth oil plants that I had to build, my oil stockpiles are shrinking and sitting to my southeast are the rich oil fields of the Dutch East Indies. As the German player, keeping an eye on my oil with levels just barley supporting full production and fueling my war machine.

Attachments
23OptionalRules.jpg
23OptionalRules.jpg (412.87 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Destroyed Pool.

A couple of posts back I showed the units destroyed in the previous turn. This post shows the units destroyed this turn. In the East, the Soviet Bear who grab the Germans by the throat last turn held on this turn and continued to pound them. It was because of this pounding by the Soviets that the Western Allies were better able to secure their position in northern Italy and spill over into Austria and the Balkans. Over this turn the Western Allies on the Italian front conducted 4 land combats. Two on the 7:1 assault table and two on the 4:1 blitz table.

Attachments
23Destroyed_Pool.jpg
23Destroyed_Pool.jpg (357.72 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. The Eastern Front.

In was in the East where most of the land combat occurred. The allies won the roll for the initiative and the Soviets never looked back. Over this turn they conducted 19 land combats. The Germans, who were reeling from the start, conducted zero!

True to the philosophy of the Red Army, they carried out these land combats at all odds. Here's a breakdown of the 19 land combats by odds and CRT:

2:1 Assault - 2
3:1 Assault - 1
4:1 Assault - 1
7:1 Assault - 1
10:1 Assault - 1
3:2 Blitz - 3
3:1 Blitz - 5
4:1 Blitz - 2
5:1 Blitz - 1
7:1 Blitz - 2

There was one impulse pair where the weather turned to storm in the north temperate and snow in the Arctic. With snow in the north, the Soviets used their winterized units to good effect turning one 3:2 attack on the Blitz table to a 3:1 attack. Also, the snow froze the marshes and gave the Soviets flanking opportunities, which they took full advantage of.

This turn, the Soviets continued to shred Army Group North (AGN). The Soviets managed to break AGN northern flank and managed nearly to relieve the siege of the city of Leningrad. A siege which has been in place for almost 18-months since late 1941.

Army Groups Center and South didn't fare much better taking heavy losses but holding their lines intact even through they were forced to pull back some. This allowed the Soviets in the south to liberate the cities of Kharkov and Stalino.

Attachments
23EasternFront.jpg
23EasternFront.jpg (895.08 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Finland and the Arctic.

Two of the Soviet attacks detailed in the previous post occurred in Karelia and Finland. The Soviets managed to capture the Finnish city of Petsamo, which contained a non-oil resources. This resource was conveyed by CW merchantmen to Murmansk and then railed to Soviet factories. The second attack is this theater was the destruction of a Finnish ski division that had cut and was keeping severed the rail line from Murmansk to the rest of the Soviet Union.

Attachments
23Finland..ic_Ocean.jpg
23Finland..ic_Ocean.jpg (654.89 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Egypt.

Before moving to the Pacific and the China-Burma-India theaters, the developing situation in Egypt needs to be shown. While the Italians were definitely knocked down they aren't completely finished in Egypt. An Italian territorial, which is out of supply and has no hope for supply, can capture Cairo at the start of next turn if the axis win the initiative. Like it or not, the CW is going to have to divert some resources and attention from securing Italy to take care of this wayward Italian corps.

Attachments
23Egypt.jpg
23Egypt.jpg (845.7 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Burma-China Theater.

In the Burma-China Theater the CW has had two good opportunities in a row this turn and last to captured the city of Bangkok, Siam from the Japanese. Last turn they rolled a 1 on a 7 out of 10 chance to captured the city and this turn they rolled a 2 on another 7 out of 10 chance. During the RTB phase the 4-4 IJN marine corps defending Bangkok was reinforced by a IJA 7-1 elite garrison. Oh, the missed opportunities and the fortunes of war.

Attachments
23IndiaBurma.jpg
23IndiaBurma.jpg (724.99 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Southern, Nationalist China.

I'm playing with Chinese attack weakness which makes attacking with the Nationalist Chinese near impossible unless one wishes to commit unit suicide. With that said the nationalist through maneuver are holding their own. While the Nationalist didn't launch any attacks the Japanese did. They conducted 3 land combats (3:1 B, 7:1 A, 5:1 A) against the Nationalist.

Attachments
23SouthernChina.jpg
23SouthernChina.jpg (903.07 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Northern, communist China.

Against the communist, the IJA conducted only 1 land combat, which was at 2:1 on the Assault table.

The communist conducted two attacks, which prior to IJN air support were at good odds but finished at 2:1 A and 2:1 B. Though losses were heavy the communist managed to destroy Terauchi's HQ unit. However, they lost three units (as did the nationalist). Losses that are too high and which aren't sustainable.

Attachments
23NorthernChina.jpg
23NorthernChina.jpg (876.55 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. The Coral Sea.

The Japanese continue to expand their defensive perimeter to thwart the USA. This turn they captured the CW port city of Rabul. This was accomplished with the same amphibious forces (6-3 inf, 5-3 marine and 2-4 marine) used to capture Guam last turn. The IJN task force required is 1 Amph, 1 TRS and 1 BB usually supported by 1 CVL. This amphibious force is ideal for operating in IJN secured sea areas.

Attachments
23CoralSea.jpg
23CoralSea.jpg (673.42 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Truk-Kwajalein.

The main part of the Japanese shield holding off the USN is operating out of Truk and into the Bismarck Sea, the Marianas and the Solomons.

While the USN did "grab" Kwajalein early in their war with Japan, they are stalled until they can reduce IJN strength, especially their carriers. While in this game there was no Pearl Harbor that knocked out a handful of the USN older battleships, there also hasn't been a Midway they sent 4 IJN fleet carriers to bottom.

Attachments
23TrukKwajalein.jpg
23TrukKwajalein.jpg (727.53 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Japanese Home Islands.

While the US has tried with little success to whittle away at IJN carrier strength, there have been two major carrier battles this game that have resulted in the loss of 1 US and 2 IJN CVs. However, the biggest losses in these battles are in carrier planes. Shown in this cap are the Shokaku and Akagi moving back to the China Sea in order to replace their lost air squadrons and crews.

Attachments
23JPAHomeIslands.jpg
23JPAHomeIslands.jpg (590.13 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Hawaii Island Archipelago.

The USN island hopping campaign is stalled until the USN can significantly reduce IJN carrier strength. The USN will continue to seek out and engage the IJN carriers where they can and hopefully score a "Midway". USN carrier strength is slowly growing and their battle with the IJN is expected to be one of attrition. The bottom line is that until IJN carriers are out of the way, the risk is to great to mount any large scale amphibious operations.

Attachments
23Hawaii..hipelago.jpg
23Hawaii..hipelago.jpg (465.91 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Repair Pool.

While no carriers were sunk this turn, the Zuikaku and the Hornet were damaged in a carrier battle in the Solomons.

Attachments
23RepairPool.jpg
23RepairPool.jpg (296.11 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Allied Convoy Routes.

Attachments
23Allied..yRoutes.jpg
23Allied..yRoutes.jpg (703.74 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Convoy Losses Through May/June 1943.

Attachments
23CPLosses.jpg
23CPLosses.jpg (293.1 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

May/June 1943. Country Economic Reports.

Attachments
23Country..Reports.jpg
23Country..Reports.jpg (218.06 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ronnie

Return to “After Action Report”