Some practical suggestions to prevent unrealistic ai formation behavior!

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

mitra76

RE: Some practical suggestions to prevent unrealistic ai formation behavior!

Post by mitra76 »

I agree with RCH, people please lower the tones of discussion. Personally, but I think all the team, I appreciate both the support posts than the critical posts.

My reply to Oho was a honest answer to a honest question: he asked for commitment on the problem and I replied positively, explaining the reasons why in GB the problem seems less stronger; like for the other gameplay suggestions\problems and new features we have in mind, we will continue to work for improve the game, 4 years of patch support for Gettysburg demonstrate this; we're not going to disappear to the Caraibi with your money :).

I can understand some of you can consider the various problems you signaled in these various threads essential or breaking the game and we respect your opinions; we're taking notes of all the negative feedbacks related to the gameplay not only of bugs, in order to face them too.

Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
roy64

Post by roy64 »

ORIGINAL: mitra76

I agree with RCH, people please lower the tones of discussion. Personally, but I think all the team, I appreciate both the support posts than the critical posts.

My reply to Oho was a honest answer to a honest question: he asked for commitment on the problem and I replied positively, explaining the reasons why in GB the problem seems less stronger; like for the other gameplay suggestions\problems and new features we have in mind, we will continue to work for improve the game, 4 years of patch support for Gettysburg demonstrate this; we're not going to disappear to the Caraibi with your money :).

I can understand some of you can consider the various problems you signaled in these various threads essential or breaking the game and we respect your opinions; we're taking notes of all the negative feedbacks related to the gameplay not only of bugs, in order to face them too.

I agree with your post.
When you start to iron out the problems I can see this is going to be a very good game, but lets face it, anyone who dares to report a problem or has been critical of this game so far, has instantly been attacked by other forum members. This does not look good on your company or encourage people to report bugs or problems.

Would I recommend the game as it is, yes I think I would. It still needs plenty of improvements but it's only going to get better.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: JamesL

What more can one say.....

warspite1

Looks like it was coded by Busby Berkeley.......[:D]

This is a real shame [:(]. Second only to WWII, the Napoleonic era is fascinating and Waterloo is such an interesting set-piece battle. I really want to get this game but the above puts me right off.

I will keep checking in to see if this can be fixed.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
kg little mac

Post by kg little mac »

I've been playing the SOW series from the beginning.

The multi-player games are beyond tremendous.

The more you play, the easier it becomes to keep your troops in proper formations while moving.

I rarely play single player, but I know the ai often struggles moving its units without bunching and such.

But I think this game is at its best when you have a 5 on 5 or bigger multi-player games.

We've had 20+ player games at the GCM and they're fantastic. sow mp dot com

And the Kriegspiel group does fantastic multi-player HITS games. kriegsspiel dot forumotion dot net/

My opinion is that if people gave multi-player a try, they'd fall in love with this game.

Come join us sometime. All are welcome.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Aurelian
Well, I'm convinced. To not buy it. Thanks aaatoysandmore.
Yup, me too. And I'll tell all of my griefer and troll friends not to buy it either...

I can put up with the formation oddities. I'm not a programmer. The best I ever did was to get one to count to 10. So I can't say if it's easy to fix, hard to fix, or not fixable.

But what I won't put up with is the grief I've been reading here. Don't really want a game that causes people to do that.

And I *like* Napoleonic games. Given a choice between say, Campaign Waterloo and Campaign Gettysburg, to play, it's the former. Every time. (Both are John Tiller games )
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: kg little mac

I've been playing the SOW series from the beginning.

The multi-player games are beyond tremendous.

The more you play, the easier it becomes to keep your troops in proper formations while moving.

I rarely play single player, but I know the ai often struggles moving its units without bunching and such.

But I think this game is at its best when you have a 5 on 5 or bigger multi-player games.

We've had 20+ player games at the GCM and they're fantastic. sow mp dot com

And the Kriegspiel group does fantastic multi-player HITS games. kriegsspiel dot forumotion dot net/

My opinion is that if people gave multi-player a try, they'd fall in love with this game.

Come join us sometime. All are welcome.

Now we're talkin the good stuff. [&o]
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Well, I'm convinced. To not buy it. Thanks aaatoysandmore.
Yup, me too. And I'll tell all of my griefer and troll friends not to buy it either...

I can put up with the formation oddities. I'm not a programmer. The best I ever did was to get one to count to 10. So I can't say if it's easy to fix, hard to fix, or not fixable.

But what I won't put up with is the grief I've been reading here. Don't really want a game that causes people to do that.

And I *like* Napoleonic games. Given a choice between say, Campaign Waterloo and Campaign Gettysburg, to play, it's the former. Every time. (Both are John Tiller games )

Give me a break. What are you talking about "grief" ?????? Have you been harmed in some way because of a few comments??????? If you don't have all the facts, and you don't, it would be prudent to exercise a level of restraint before you make yourself out to be some kind of victim.

Some Sow players are a bit defensive. Does it matter that there is a large number of players who not only like SOW games, but are more than willing to step up and sing its praises?

I have played 100s of games.

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/?player=13

Do you think that we play and put up with some kind of circus game? Again, you don't have all the facts.

The player must learn how to operate his troops by keeping them in good order. It is a very playable and realistic game. It is not a table top game. Big difference here.

Waterloo needs some tweaks. Gettysburg is better (for now), but the tweaks will come and more smooth play will happen. There are new tactics that this game is bring forward. Give it a chance. It "is" a very playable game as is. Tweaks "will" make it better.

I highly endorse the game. If you like SOW GB you will Waterloo. The opposite is also true.

So forgive us for liking and promoting SOW.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: RCH

Give me a break. What are you talking about "grief" ??????

I would say try reading the grief directed toward 76mm, but that is beyond you.

Promote it all you want. But obviously your nerve has been pained. Too bad too bad. Oh too bad. But take heart. You've confirmed the decision not to buy.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

The post was meant for you. 76mm and his thoughts I respect. I can disagree with, but I respect. You used the word "grief" yourself. You should reread your own post.

And how many times are you "NOT" going to buy it?
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: RCH

Gentlemen,

Lets return to some civility. Lets let Norb and his team answer the questions and us who are supporters of the game not get into confrontations.

As you don't follow your own advice, (see your response to me) why should anyone else?

Gunfreak

Post by Gunfreak »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
ORIGINAL: psynnott

Norb said that? I don't believe it till I see it from his on post. I don't believe NORB the HEAD developer said that at all since he knows it's been a problem from the beginning. Now if some wannbe developer said it I take it with a grain of salt cause that too has been going around since the beginning also about how they are gonna fix this or that. As I said I'll believe it when NORB says it HERE. [:-]

Lol gunfreak is a USER and MITRA is a moderator/tester (loot at his tag and read) not designer or developer. Try again. MITRA doesn't even speak good engrish to understand him.

The closest thing to a designer developer over there talking about this is RebBugler. This is what he says:

Actually mitra is a designer, having done tones of ai coding.
And he has been one of the best of the developers to answer questions.
And his English us just fine.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

ORIGINAL: zakblood

as friendly fire isn't on in the game atm, it wouldn't matter if the troops fired though another friendly unit, units to close eg not given enough space will try not to collide with routing, but if not they will cross etc i'm given to believe, depend on what is asked of them to do, and what there commander told them to do is to totally different things some times, as try and do the same move a few times and it may or may not happen, with different spacing units and commanders / etc

i maybe wrong as i'm only going by what the developer has said in other posts or seen online / twitch etc

Can you name another game covering any period in which friendly troops are depicted firing through each other's ranks?

Just following up here...POA2 also didn't have small arms friendly fire. Neither did Steel Panthers...in any iteration I remember. Were those enough examples for you?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

not worth the arguement. Both Mitra and Reb already said to curb it and that means all of you too. [:'(]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Curb what? A question was asked and I followed up on it.
sspoom

Post by sspoom »

Much of the erratic behavior mentioned above can be avoided (by humans) by using way points.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Wasn't talking to you was talking to them. [:'(]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Ahhh...might want to make it clearer to avoid misunderstandings.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Ahhh...might want to make it clearer to avoid misunderstandings.

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to mention names to protect the innoncent. [:D]
risorgimento59

Post by risorgimento59 »

Wrong thread, sorry.
Had too many windows opened.[;)]

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”