One large unit versus several smaller units?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

One large unit versus several smaller units?

Post by GaryChildress »

Is there any difference between having one large unit versus several smaller units but with the same # of subformations of each type? For example, does it make any difference to have one unit of 30 rifles and 9 machineguns versus 3 units of 10 rifles and 3 machineguns each in a single hex?
Twotribes

RE: One large unit versus several smaller units?

Post by Twotribes »

Depends on size of unit. from 2 hex sides you can attack with no penalty with 100 stackpoints. It goes up as you add hex sides to the attack. If your 3 units all add up to less thenn 100 and so does your big unit no difference.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Simple answer is no. Complicated answer is yes. The positive thing (already mentioned) is you can more easily gain concentric bonuses. The negative thing is if you split them up they might not retreat at the same time leaving a smaller force out on the battlefield than if all would have retreated together => resulting in more casualties.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
davebob

Post by davebob »

In my last two games, I have gone with smaller units, separating heavy weapons into designate units. 30 rifle is the basic. 10 rifle,6 mg,4 bazooka/or 2 at for defensive areas. 10 rifle,6 mortar, 4 bazooka for attack. This allows great flexibility to get the best weapons where they are needed. Can cover more hexes when needed too. That mortar unit can defend a less important hex if needed. As a bonus, I am not losing mg on the attack or mortars on defense, thereby reducing the amount of clicks to replenish units(or the loss of experience wasting units in combat they are not suited for) in an emergency, I can attack a flank w those mg's. I find this to be realistic also, as heavy weapons are separate units in most armies.
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”