OT Loss of the family dog

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Schanilec

RE: OT Loss of the family dog

Post by Schanilec »

I hate to ask, but when did you lose your best freind. I think we were days apart. Rascal was the 6th of June.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

This was when he was 5 weeks [;)] He's staying with his litter until the 27th, but I still do the hour drive a few times a week, just to get him accustomed to me and minimize shock.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

A little interesting side note behind my boys.

Boomer (Yellow Labrador) or Shamrock Acre's Super Boomer II:
Born 24 December 1997
Passed 12 September 2004
Arrived here from Wisconsin 19 February 1998
Came back home from his first show circuit 6 June 1999
Rascal or Boomer's Richochete Rascal, Black Labrador (Boomer's son), his mother Dabbler (Jake's Dakota Dabbler) a chocolate.
Born 15 June 2004
Came home 9 August 2004
Passed 6 June 2015

Anyone see a pattern?
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

This was when he was 5 weeks [;)] He's staying with his litter until the 27th, but I still do the hour drive a few times a week, just to get him accustomed to me and minimize shock.
Good lord, he is going to be a bruiser. Of course puppy prrof the house. But in this case. puppy proof the block and inform the neighbors. Boomer was 122 lbs. Thus I called him Dogzilla or Labradorus Rex. But the most gentle Labrador I have ever seen. He had run of the neighborhood. Fence and railroad ties along the fence could not hold him. I have helped design a few correctional facilities. I alway said "Bring Boomer in after completion and see if it works". [:D]
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Mine is coming from Shamrock Arce's in Waunakee Wisconsin, just a few miles North of Madison. Flying him in as we have done with all our Labs from there. They adapt very well right away which is nice.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. It hurts. I’m an animal lover as well.

When I was 6 years old I had a beautiful black and white Collie.
She meant the world to me.
A neighbor man shot her dead because she was crossing his pasture.
I think he was just trying out his rifle. Just for fun.
I was told that trash collectors buried her somewhere along a nearby stream bed.
I searched but could never find her grave. I was never able to say goodbye.

I’m required to forgive him but somehow I’ve never been able to even after 55 years.

Special animals come into our lives sometimes and they change us forever.

I’ve never owned another dog.
I have two cats now.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I was told that trash collectors buried her somewhere along a nearby stream bed.

I’m required to forgive him but somehow I’ve never been able to even after 55 years.

I have two cats now.

I can't even talk of how my old friend passed. It defies imagination, same as you. But I feel your pain. Every day.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I have two cats now.
Now tragic. Mine that I just let go was born out of tragedy. A guy in town was getting ready for work when his Yellow male got out. running along the coulee and canterous of man shot him with a .22. Chance (the yellow Lab) made it home. He saw that the dog was badly hurt and off to the vet. That is when X-rays revealed a gunshot wound. The bullet was against the spine and Chance had to be put down. The local paper made a front page story the next day, with picture of Chance along with the X-rays. About a week later I recieved a call at the office asking about my yellow (Boomer). My first thought was oh God what has he done now. But it was Joe. He had asked a buddy of his from high school whose family raised Labrador at the same time we did. Also American/Canadian chanpions. He asked Jim "Is there any good looking Labradors in the area?" Jim raised his finger "There is only one. Schanilec's Labrador. Thus the phone call at work and Boomer sired a litter. Joe asked me about stub fees. I said no out of this I couldn't because of what happened and for the his family. It would have been $1,000. The next is pick of the litter. Again I declined. Boomer was a handful in himself. He persisted. Again I declined. But then Boomer was diagnosed with bone cancer. He asked again and I accepted. Thus Rascal.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

I'm sorry. As I was making my last post I got a call from the clinic. Rascal's ashes are ready. Yes, I am breaking down right now and crying like a baby. I'll pick them up tomorrow. I can't right now. Sorry.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Is the Moon a moon or a companion? I say companion. We're living on a double planet.

I've had 5 cats. All but one were allowed outside (because of age). His name was Fooey. Unfortunately I had to return him to the Humane Society because he was using my dirty laundry basket as his litter box. That was sad because he was extremely playful. Never have seen one so playful, but that was intolerable. Three of the others were also Humane Society cats. The first I named Bozo and he chose me. He was in a cage with two other cats that appeared to be siblings (of each other, not Bozo) and they were fighting. Bozo had both front paws out of the bars trying to grab me. It was like "please get me out of here". The jail break was successful. He wasn't too bright but that was ok. I lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of strays. He would try and make friends and when they would hiss and display and all that he didn't understand. He didn't hiss back or run away, he just found them to be unuseful. His first friend (though it started out pretty rough) was Meemo who was a grey tiger kitten (Bozo was a mostly white cat with black spots that looked clownlike, hence the name). Meemo was very aggressive at first but came to love Bozo. I was living in an apartment building which was shaped like the letter H. In the backyard part of the H fallen leaves would sometimes be carried up in the air in mini-cyclones that the H shape generated. Bozo would leap up into the air and try and catch those leaves. Meemo (that's short for something but I can't remember what at the moment, Mimonides or something) broke a foreleg once, maybe got hit by a car, and while wearing a cast caught a cicada and brought it in. He wanted to play with it but when he tried to use the casted foreleg to bat it around it instead came down on the cicada and went splat. He was very disappointed. Bozo died suddenly while outside of unknown reasons (there were no marks on him or anything) and Meemo died with a witness. No sign of distress of any kind before, just went into seizures and died. Then there was Shebee another grey tiger. Nothing remarkable comes to mind about her. Finally there is Erasmus Tazz. They named it Tazz and I added Erasmus (or Rassma- for short)I didn't get him from the pound, some friends wanted to be rid of him because he liked to pee on any paper left on the floor. It was either me or a death sentence. I got him to use the litter boxes for the most part but more recently he's reverted to paper. He's about 12. He's not going anywhere. I've just laid newspapers with plastic underneath where he likes to go and he uses them. For those of you who hate the NY Times, that's mostly what it is. I'm referring to a certain forumite who sometimes signs as "John". If he's made it this far I'll be surprised, not a cat person I think.

A philosophy prof I know once had a cat named "Lovable". This cat was smarter (from what I hear) than a lot of people I know. The professor would put him and another cat he had, "Spool", in the basement before bed each night. Lovable would promptly begin manipulating the doorknob til it opened. He would then go up to the top floor bedroom of another friend, an assistant to the professor who was living in his house at the time and wake him up. This guy would open his window so the cat could go out on the roof of the house and spend the night there. The routine never changed. Spool would follow Lovable out of the basement but wasn't interested in being on the roof.

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Minutes later the breeder in Wisconsin calls. A litter of Chocolates are ready to go. I could barely talk to her. Crying like a mofo. She apologized. I'll talk to her tomorrow.[:(]
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Minutes later the breeder from Wisconsin calls saying ther is a litter of Chocolates ready to go. I could barely speak so soon afet the first call. She apologized. I'll call back tomorrow. Crying like a mofo right now. To much all at once at the same time.[:(]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Four years ago I lost the last of a family that had grown to nine cats, four of whom were amputees.
After the family grew to nine I finally learned how to say no to friends asking me to take in another.

As they died off I resisted acquiring "replacements". You can never replace the ones you have lost, but you can start a relationship with a new one.
When the last of the nine died at the age of 20 I had also just lost my mother the year before after spending the prior five years caring for her in her infirmity.

When Tiger died I shared with my brother how hollow and empty I felt now that everyone who had depended on me to care and provide for them were gone, but I had never been the type to go running out to find a replacement.
I went on to say that besides, when the time was right one would find me. Either a stray would show up at the house or a friend would call asking me to take in a stray they had found.

Not an hour later I received a call from my 12 year old niece. She asked if I would take in a stray kitten a friend of her mother's had found abandoned in a plastic bag hanging form a tree on the edge of a golf course.

I started out saying "no I can't do this, not on the very day Tiger died, it isn't fair to his memory, I need time to grieve, I CAN'T do this!

In the midst of all those protestations it occurred to me that this was MEANT to happen.

That day this furry little bundle of joy I named Skeeter fell into my lap.

I truly do believe she was a gift from God.

Attachments
Skeeter.jpg
Skeeter.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Hans

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Sorry I was so broken from the last calls I thought I never sent the post not realizing a new page. But now Rascal's ashes and his Dad Boomer will sitting side by side in heaven and Earth.[:)]
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

Sad news sventhebold, agree with others the sooner you can get another the better you will start to feel better. There's no replacing them, but raising and caring for another sure helps.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

My condolences. I've been there with an 18 1/2 year old cat 9 years ago now. I still miss him, but his kidneys had gone south and there was nothing left to do. The one cat we have now is 20 and in decent shape for his age, but he is declining. It's been a bad day for him. He gets a tremor sometimes and it was bad today. It's died down now, but it's still there a little bit.

I'm dreading the day we have to make the call on this guy. It may be as much as a year away (if he's lucky), but I can see the day coming.

When I go back to the agonizing decision I had to make with the 18 1/2 year old cat, I also think about how much he was suffering and it makes it easier to bear. The worst thing about cats and dogs is our lifespan is so much longer then theirs.

Oh and I've had two pretty smart cats. The one who I had to put down could open any door if it wasn't latched. And once he learned something new, he would never cast about for a solution again, he would go right to the solution. The current cat starts over from scratch every time he encounters a door he wants to get through. Another cat I had in college could open latched doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle.

Unfortunately she never learned about cars can got run over. My father saw it happen and the sound of his voice when he came in the house cradling her body still haunts me.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My condolences. I've been there with an 18 1/2 year old cat 9 years ago now. I still miss him, but his kidneys had gone south and there was nothing left to do. The one cat we have now is 20 and in decent shape for his age, but he is declining. It's been a bad day for him. He gets a tremor sometimes and it was bad today. It's died down now, but it's still there a little bit.

I'm dreading the day we have to make the call on this guy. It may be as much as a year away (if he's lucky), but I can see the day coming.

When I go back to the agonizing decision I had to make with the 18 1/2 year old cat, I also think about how much he was suffering and it makes it easier to bear. The worst thing about cats and dogs is our lifespan is so much longer then theirs.

Oh and I've had two pretty smart cats. The one who I had to put down could open any door if it wasn't latched. And once he learned something new, he would never cast about for a solution again, he would go right to the solution. The current cat starts over from scratch every time he encounters a door he wants to get through. Another cat I had in college could open latched doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle.

Unfortunately she never learned about cars can got run over. My father saw it happen and the sound of his voice when he came in the house cradling her body still haunts me.

Bill
Geez, Bill! Sounds like our departed friends were about the same age and had the same smarts. We made a house hunting trip when relocating and had a sitter (her and her husband - two for the price of one!) stop over each day to give the insulin shot. When we got home we found a note that he had found a new hiding place. During the hunt for him they caught the other cat three times (bet he was happy!) before finally finding their quarry quieting hiding inside the bathroom vanity. [:D]

In the new house after we moved he used to go to a big draw in the kitchen island, slide it open, climb in on top of stuff, then close it and "meow" for one of us to come and play with him. [:D]
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

I have been outvoted for the replacement of Callie. The girls(wife and daughter) are finally understanding what I was trying to tell them ten years ago when they decided we were going to get a dog. The decline of Callie's health over the last couple months and the inevitable loss was much more then they could handle. They now get it and do not want to do this again. I have already somewhat arranged to help walk someone elses dog. I am doing everything I can to stay busy to keep from falling apart.
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

You know better than that. We chatted offline. A new beginning in the near future. The house is too quiet. It is to soon to decide.
The loss of Rascal was tough, very tough like Callie. But we move on as hard as it is to do, but we move on. I see another Labrador in your future. The quiet will kill you guys. I'll find out tomorrow if I drive over 700 mile to Madison Wisconsin to pick up a new Labrador, a chocolate this time.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

We were at our beach home two years ago and our dog Slipper was diagnosed with an incurable blood disease. She was not doing well. Here she is on our last ride, and then she was gone two days later. You should treasure everyone in your life as if it was your last minute with them.

Attachments
slippercropped.jpg
slippercropped.jpg (323.73 KiB) Viewed 140 times
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”