PBEM turn 1 nightmare scenario

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

undercovergeek

PBEM turn 1 nightmare scenario

Post by undercovergeek »

Having recently received a request to start a PBEM as the Japanese i needed to catch up and brush up on the opening move - i started a 'Allied Computer' game so i could make my moves and test them, after maybe 20 hours of all the required fiddling and testing im ready to send turn 1 but realise it isnt a PBEM turn - is there anyway i can drop my saved game into a PBEM scenario before having to start all over again? [&:]
Bullwinkle58

RE: PBEM turn 1 nightmare scenario

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

Having recently received a request to start a PBEM as the Japanese i needed to catch up and brush up on the opening move - i started a 'Allied Computer' game so i could make my moves and test them, after maybe 20 hours of all the required fiddling and testing im ready to send turn 1 but realise it isnt a PBEM turn - is there anyway i can drop my saved game into a PBEM scenario before having to start all over again? [&:]

The issue is where the password is assigned. I've never started a PBEM as Japan.

You can test it locally. Make a copy of the turn and put it aside. Then start a PBEM game and drop it into the slot. Was it closed out with the red triangle before you saved it? The PC doesn't know there's no opponent. If you want to get fancy you can mail it to yourself and install it in another install of the game. Open it as an Allied PBEM player and se if it runs.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

If you didn´t select "PBEM" but rather "Allied computer I think you are toast. [:(]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Correct.

Japan is the first player. So Japan sets the parameters of the game including if it is a PBEM or not. If you as Japan did not have the parameters set properly for the PBEM, including First Turn Surprise, etc. and not just the PBEM setting then the game is not going to be set up correctly for the two of you.

So you are toast and have to redo the turn as there is no way that I know of to turn a save into a PBEM one[:(].

What you can do is use the turn you have done and play against the AI a bit to see how your plans work out. If this is your first time playing Japan, I highly recommend it [:)].

The other thing I would like to stress is you do NOT have to do EVERYTHING on turn 1. [:)] I actually take all my xAKs and TKs that are not carrying troops and/or already on a transport mission and stick them all in the same port in Japan. I use the first few weeks to do this and this helps a LOT in sorting out Japan's transporting mess that the game starts you off in.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I don't see why he is "toast".
What he got out of it was a chance to see how his first turn moves might execute.
There is a HUGE benefit in that.

What he DIDN'T get was a free ride to translate those first turn "test" orders into a competitive game WITHOUT having to issue those orders all over again.
Hans

undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I don't see why he is "toast".
What he got out of it was a chance to see how his first turn moves might execute.
There is a HUGE benefit in that.

What he DIDN'T get was a free ride to translate those first turn "test" orders into a competitive game WITHOUT having to issue those orders all over again.

im right here! [:)]

theres nothing to be done, i need to reprocess the turn under the PBEM section, thanks for all advice
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Like the others have said, it's done. Can't treat this as a PBEM, unfortunately.

I wish that I could say that I haven't done this very thing myself. Maddening.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I have a spiral notebook full of plans and other stuff. I write it down, make adjustments as needed then I follow the instructions I wrote down. I also have a lot of stuff like submarine intercepts with convoys etc., hex it occurred at and date along with any course info on the convoy. I use that to position my sub patrols. Different opponents will do different things, but it's a starting point. I have a first day plan, a second day plan etc.. I keep a record of when certain enemy ships are scheduled to arrive, particularly CVs. I keep a note on when my paratroop units are scheduled to arrive, and his. Don't throw anything away, just notate it. As the Japanese I maintain plans on which planes to build when, engines too. What production of whatever type needs to be initiated when. Other types of production increases are also on a schedule. I have notes on ship production. On ship conversions (that's a biggie). I also have my last campaign PBEM first few moves recorded, but just for review. I'll update to the new patch and the latest beta before my next PBEM. I've started working on HQ issues but haven't got far yet. It's been rather decide as you go so far.

I also have printed out "Japanese Aircraft Wire Chart" by Hanzberger. It has a few minor errors, he has the Rex listed as IJA, the Seiran is not ID'd as a floater, and dates of production are not all up to date depending on the mod you're playing, but it is extremely helpful to have. Also go see https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home?pli=1 . I don't remember who wrote it, he didn't sign his stuff, but you want to print out his economic primer. Also there's "A Japanese Production Primer- May 21, 2013" by someone who didn't sign his work either and I forget who it was. There's something a bit gamey in it about research factories, but overall it's a very good effort. Someone will pipe up as to where to find these things.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

This is also useful to have: tm.asp?m=2990845

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I have a spiral notebook full of plans and other stuff. I write it down, make adjustments as needed then I follow the instructions I wrote down. I also have a lot of stuff like submarine intercepts with convoys etc., hex it occurred at and date along with any course info on the convoy. I use that to position my sub patrols. Different opponents will do different things, but it's a starting point. I have a first day plan, a second day plan etc.. I keep a record of when certain enemy ships are scheduled to arrive, particularly CVs. I keep a note on when my paratroop units are scheduled to arrive, and his. Don't throw anything away, just notate it. As the Japanese I maintain plans on which planes to build when, engines too. What production of whatever type needs to be initiated when. Other types of production increases are also on a schedule. I have notes on ship production. On ship conversions (that's a biggie). I also have my last campaign PBEM first few moves recorded, but just for review. I'll update to the new patch and the latest beta before my next PBEM. I've started working on HQ issues but haven't got far yet. It's been rather decide as you go so far.

I also have printed out "Japanese Aircraft Wire Chart" by Hanzberger. It has a few minor errors, he has the Rex listed as IJA, the Seiran is not ID'd as a floater, and dates of production are not all up to date depending on the mod you're playing, but it is extremely helpful to have. Also go see https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home?pli=1 . I don't remember who wrote it, he didn't sign his stuff, but you want to print out his economic primer. Also there's "A Japanese Production Primer- May 21, 2013" by someone who didn't sign his work either and I forget who it was. There's something a bit gamey in it about research factories, but overall it's a very good effort. Someone will pipe up as to where to find these things.

The production primer was done by me you silly Gorn [:)] Here is the link as well http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605&mpage=1&key=

I also disagree about the R&D being gamey because there is a link in the document to a thread where I clearly show that Japan was doing R&D before the game started. So there is no reason for EVERY R&D factory to be damaged at the start of the game. It is a game mechanic with no basis in reality. So in a game where so much detail has been made to be as accurate as possible, having all the R&D factories all start damaged bothered me [:)]

Also a JFB could get all their advanced planes years earlier and it still would not make any difference in who wins. By '45 the Allies are just too powerful. Given the right circumstances, the Allies could probably win in '44 with no problem. But most games stop in '43 anyway so not many people get to the '44/'45 period and actually see the massive amount of power the Allies have. I have gone the distance as Japan in a PBEM and was constantly amazed at the amount of power the Allies could bring in several places at once. Until you actually experience it as Japan it is hard to describe [:(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”