Getting old : tired eyes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

patrickl

Getting old : tired eyes

Post by patrickl »

Arggh, getting old and eyes are tired. Getting more shortsighted and have astigmatism. Love AE but may have to really cut back on the hours. How do you cope? I am 54.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Bullwinkle58

RE: Getting old : tired eyes

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Arggh, getting old and eyes are tired. Getting more shortsighted and have astigmatism. Love AE but may have to really cut back on the hours. How do you cope? I am 54.

I'm older. Do shorter turns. [8D]
The Moose
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Hire a general staff. Dictate orders to them. Maybe you could draft your wife and kids for this purpose. [:D]
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Try -altFont in your command line. It increases the font a little. I have had bad eyes for years. It helps some. The above suggestions help too. A little....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

You're a young pup! I've a decade on you and still going strong.... what was it we were talking about????
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

I sometimes use my flat panel tv as a monitor for my computer, works well and much easier to see than laptop screen.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Get a big 120 Hz screen!
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

See to have your glasses updated. Particularly important if you are astigmatic. It Changes all the time. Good luck!

Fred

P.S.: Soon your nearsightedness shall start going back.
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Hire a general staff. Dictate orders to them. Maybe you could draft your wife and kids for this purpose. [:D]

tried doing that , she didnt even think it was funny...

tried also my daughter but she wont play anything unless the game has 'pinkie pie' or 'twilight sparkle' in it. However, she did advise using 'godzilla' against japan.
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

What is the command for alt font? How do I make the change?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

-altFont

patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Thanks guys for your posts. A bigger screen seems promising. I have to have limit playing AE in the evening. [:(]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Do try the font change...it is much cheaper than laser surgery.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

-altFont

In case you don't know this gets added (with a space before it) to the command executable line in the properties of your desktop shortcut.

Been severely myopic with a severe astigmatism (6.5 diopters in left eye, 7.5 diopters in right eye), discovered at the age of 10 since birth.

20/180 vision in left eye 20/240 in right eye. What I see without spectacles in my right eye is legally blind with spectacles in the US.

I run the game at a low resolution to make objects larger and use the altfont switch (sans serif is way easier to read) and I spend almost every spare minute at home playing AE.

Oh yea, and next Monday I will be four years older than the OP.

All I have to say is "Suck it Up and Soldier On!"
Hans

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Might also help if you occasionally just close your eyes for a few minutes and give them a rest.

I have also been known to get up from the computer and just take a quick walk through the house every 30 minutes or so (my legs tend to ache if I sit in one place too long). That also helps with the tired eyes.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: patrickl
Me too; nearsighted with astigmatism. I now have glasses with an opthalmic coating that cuts transmission of high energy blue wavelengths. The difference is remarkable. I can work for long periods without eye fatigue. I am 67.

[ed] I'm forcing all my employees, with glasses, to get this. It's not at all expensive as an adder for new glasses (maybe $30-$40), but I'm paying the freight for all new eyewear just for the protection. I'm also getting optical quality blanks, with the coating, for everybody else who doesn't ordinarily wear glasses. This is really good stuff.

Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
JockJimmy

Post by JockJimmy »

There was once a happy time when I didn't know who "Twilight Sparkle" is. [8|]
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

Symon Tell me more. I have astigmatism(bad) and just had an eye exam. I always get the coating for scratches(still crap) and the darkening lenses(white snow). What else do you recommend and who do you buy your glasses from? I bought just the lenses last time around and it was still 700 bucks and STILL had double vision. The eyeware company told me i was at the edge of correctable vision.
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Gads, my eyes starting going about five years ago. Now using grocery store bought reading glasses. I may need to go in and see and eye doctor. Haven't seen one since I was 12 yrs old. I'm 56 1/2 yrs now. Just close up gets me. But out deer hunting I can spot deer laying down in a field or shelter belt up to a 3/4 mile away. Go figure.

Maybe with us poor bastards, we should start a 'Sick Bay' thread. Similar to the movie 'Mister Roberts' "Two aspiren, marked for duty. Here I'll take one with you".[:D]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Being 13 years your senior, I suggest not giving a damn. It may not do much for your eye sight, but will vastly improve your life style.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”