How does port supply work?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

juv95hrn

How does port supply work?

Post by juv95hrn »

I don't get how port supply works?

I have blitzed into Talinn and outrun my railhead south of Riga, and although the port itself has fuel and supplies the units and HQ outside it seems to draw supply from the distant rail head. Shouldn't they be able to draw supply from the port? Or do you have to be positioned in the port itself to get supplies from there? (of course I have not extended the rail net from the ports.) Estonia is emptied of enemy troops and I control all territories there between ports and units.

I would be greatful if someone could explain.

"20.1.3. PORT SUPPLY
Except for tracing supplies over the Lake
Ladoga zone, a port hex that borders a sea
zone that allows strategic naval transport (i.e
Baltic/Black Sea/See of Azov/Caspian Sea)
that has at least one friendly port connected
to the supply grid via rail will be considered
connected to the supply grid. However, only
the port hex is connected. Tracing from this
port hex for supply purposes to a hex or
unit can be done along friendly controlled,
undamaged rail hexes (even though these
rail hexes are considered not on the grid),
if not leaving an enemy ZOC, without
increasing the hexes from the rail. The MP
cost will be increased by 1 for each such
hex traced. If the hex traced to is next to an
enemy unit 1 will be added to both the hex count and the MP count. This represents limited
use of rails in these circumstances and better communications lines/roads along rails, thus
allowing supply (although somewhat less than normal) via ports connected via these major
waterways."

Also, is it better to keep the HQs as close to advancing land units as possible (but further away from the railhead)? Or should HQs lag 5 hexes behind their units and stay as close as possible to the rail head? Or does it not matter, since the MP cost from land unit, via HQ is the same? Ie. should I stack the HQ with my advancing units or let them drag behind to push up supplies more efficient?
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
Numdydar

RE: How does port supply work?

Post by Numdydar »

If you check you will find that Talinn is NOT available for supply until the islands to the West are captured, i.e. converted to German control. Which is a pain if the Russians have any troops over there. It usually takes me a Corp to clean those areas out. But until that happens, no sea supply can be gained.

Also you will find that by the time you clear that area and Talinn repairs, your RR line should be pretty close to the Leningrad area if you send one up that way.

I got caught this way when I first played Road to Leningrad. [:@] So learned that going south of the city and around the lakes in the south tended to work much better versus rushing to Talinn.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Think I agree with Numdydar... IMO Pskov to Leningrad is better tactic, and South of Lake Ilman might be best.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Think total distance to "supply source" is what matters and the corps most likely should be along that path... want corps positioned to allow their support units to play their roles.
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

Thanks. This means it's worth garrisoning these islands (ösel?) after all. Does HQs and ABs count as garrisons? They are still red but I will see if they turn Axis next turn.

What about Parnu and Riga? Are they blocked too by the islands? Where did you find this info?

These ports contain supply and fuel too. Seems kind of silly to not use it, even if you can't ship in new stuff.

You are right about all 3 ports being damaged 97-100%. But the menu says there are lots of supplies in the ports.

What about supply and fuel in a land bound town fx. Pskov that I just captured? Will it be available to my troops next turn if I can't get enough from the rail head? Sometimes you get a pop up with a message when you displace en enemy HQ. But if an enemy captured town contains fuel and supply, shouldn't you be able to draw from that?

I will probably not send many fast units this way next time but I am more interested in learning how the game works for future reference.

"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”