How does the sandbox campaign work, please?

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

FroBodine

How does the sandbox campaign work, please?

Post by FroBodine »

Could some kind soul please explain how the sandbox campaign works? Sandbox and campaign usually aren't in the same sentence in computer games. Sandbox is open ended where you do what you want. But, if it's a campaign, then something must be unique about it.

Thank you!
con20or

RE: How does the sandbox campaign work, please?

Post by con20or »

It's quite cool - probably my favourite new feature. Basically you have a large map of (alot of) Belgium and lots of French and Allied forces to manouver depending on what side you pick.

Here is a vid showing a quick run through

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterl ... ies-part-4

Different campaign goals - some want you to find and destroy the enemy, some want you to capture their base and supply depot, a few others. Casualties and other stats carry over from battle to battle. You can rest in towns and there is even a basic RPG element whereby you can upgrade troops who have done well in a previous battle. Say you have a green regiment who fights well in one battle - you can upgrade one of their stats for the next battle if you leave them sitting there long enough training. But the enemy may interrupt you...it is all real-time but you can speed things up and slow them down - you can have multiple battles ongoing and switch between them as you like. If you build up enough time troops can be moved while campaign battles are going on and you can cut off a line of retreat for an enemy army.

Fog of War is present - so you won't always know where the enemy is but will have to scout for them, leave forces at crossroads - basically it is everything that sandbox was missing - a way of stringing battles together and making sure you don't waste your resources and troops. It is a blast.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

That link does not work. It wants me to log in or create an account. Is there a link to watch it without having to have an account to your forums, please?

hjc

Post by hjc »

Try this instead, some forum names got changed - I've got an account there and the above link didn't work for me either.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterloo-media-section/67912-scourge-of-war-waterloo-diaries-part-4

cheers
con20or

Post by con20or »

Thanks BofH - I renamed the 'sneak peeks' section last night now that the game is out. It is now the media section :)

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”