the Campaign sandbox

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

goodwoodrw

the Campaign sandbox

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have been playing this method recently,a point on ownership. Playing the control the majority of town mode. A question, do you have to garrison each town you pass through to maintain ownership? It appears the town only show ownership when you have troops there!
Formerly Goodwood

hjc

RE: the Campaign sandbox

Post by hjc »

It seems that way to me too. Which means if one owns enough locations you're open to being defeated in detail.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Wouldn't you just want to organize a grand army and wipe out the enemy in one big battle? I have yet to start my campaign.
hjc

Post by hjc »

ORIGINAL: jomni
Wouldn't you just want to organize a grand army and wipe out the enemy in one big battle?

There is a specific "crush the enemy" kind of campaign that can be chosen if you want to do that.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

It appears would need to fragment your army to hold all the locations giving the enemy a path to systematically destroy your army bit by bit.
Formerly Goodwood

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Fighting sandbox campaigns the engagements I'm seemed to get is enemy Artillery and Calvary. 95% of all campaign battle are against this type of force. very boring
Formerly Goodwood

e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I think this issue is being addressed
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

hello, i have been playing campaing for 5 hours and I have doubts/questions:

1-why if I select french army always I have less troops than allies? I select all OOB (napoleon) and I have 10k or 20k less troops than wellington.
2-all the battles in the campaign mode have an objective to conquer? I mean the battle is not about routing all the enemy troops but is only conquering the objective?
3-will be there reinforcements? supply? etc? it seems incomplete but very fun.

thanks!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Wouldn't you just want to organize a grand army and wipe out the enemy in one big battle? I have yet to start my campaign.

That's what the ZULU tried to do to the British as Isandlawana and the British basically did at the Kings corral fight. Forming some kind of huge square I think with a number of cannons inside this time. Blew the crap out of Chetswayo's Impies.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

ORIGINAL: BASB

I have been playing this method recently,a point on ownership. Playing the control the majority of town mode. A question, do you have to garrison each town you pass through to maintain ownership? It appears the town only show ownership when you have troops there!

Yes, you have to hold the town with a garrison
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

ORIGINAL: Maulet

1-why if I select french army always I have less troops than allies? I select all OOB (napoleon) and I have 10k or 20k less troops than wellington.
2-all the battles in the campaign mode have an objective to conquer? I mean the battle is not about routing all the enemy troops but is only conquering the objective?

thanks!

- If you play with the french, you can use the mod "full_french_campaign" and the oob proposed from this; because of asymmetry of structures between the french and allied forces (the allied structure has 2 armies inside) the force generation routine doesn't create a balanced structure.

- It depends from the type of battle generated, in some in some the objective is the victory factor in other is only secondary as a point generated and force the enemy to give up is prioritary.

- Currently not, but we foreseen the increase gradually the complexity campaign system.
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

ORIGINAL: mitra76

the problem of this method is you have every hour less and less troops if you don't have reinforcements.
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

thanks!

- If you play with the french, you can use the mod "full_french_campaign" and the oob proposed from this; because of asymmetry of structures between the french and allied forces (the allied structure has 2 armies inside) the force generation routine doesn't create a balanced structure.

- It depends from the type of battle generated, in some in some the objective is the victory factor in other is only secondary as a point generated and force the enemy to give up is prioritary.

- Currently not, but we foreseen the increase gradually the complexity campaign system.

thanks! I hope to see this complexity very soon [&o][&o]
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

the last one: where could I look for this mod "french full campaign"? I am looking for it but I haven't found anything.

edit: ok ok it's inside the game! i was looking for it in the forums LOL [:D]
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

the problem of this method is you have every hour less and less troops if you don't have reinforcements.

The complexity lay in this; you have to decide to what give priority: reduce the enemy danger and deploy later in the towns, create a screen force to protect the garrisons or accept the risks of being attacked in numerical inferiority.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

the last one: where could I look for this mod "french full campaign"? I am looking for it but I haven't found anything.

Is already installed with the game, you have to go in the modification to activate it.
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

thanks mitra!
ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

On the campaign if I have 2 units going towards the same town, the 1st gets into action can or will the 2nd feed in a reserves? or is it 1 unit 1 battle at a time? it would be nice to be able to pin a force down so as a bigger forces can hit hit. As I can, say send Kemp't Inf div out on its own it has Arty but no cav as yet I can not find away to attach cav to him. I can not mix and match Divs and Brigs etc.
Jim_NSD

Post by Jim_NSD »

At this time you do not get in battle reinforcements. That is on our list of future improvements.

-Jim
Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”