HJ (SHC) vs Pelton T1-T4 Soviet pics

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Huw Jones

HJ (SHC) vs Pelton T1-T4 Soviet pics

Post by Huw Jones »

Played a number of games over the last 6 months, mostly with intermediate players, mostly as Soviet, thought I was doing well, then played Sapper who showed me the errors of my ways in our VERY brief game.

Adjusted tactics and strategy since then, lets see how well they work against another veteran, Pelton:

Turn one I disband a lot of things, Fortress that are not needed, Air Commands, some SAD bases, some Army Corps for CC purposes, then just build Sappers with the remaining admin points, not many admin points left on T1 though.

T2+ Carry on with the same but more building and less disbanding each turn.
Huw Jones

RE: Huw Jones(SHC) vs Pelton- T1 Soviet pics

Post by Huw Jones »

T1 Pskov

Skirmish line out.

Aim to hold Pskov until T4 if possible and as much of the Pskov River line I can until until T3 and pull back, again if possible.

Attachments
T1 Pskov.jpg
T1 Pskov.jpg (345.82 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

You should start building RR units. All armies must have 2, boosting the fort building.
You have 10 at start, so would be wise to send them to the most important sectors. And around Pskov, the 3 swamp hex is the most usefull defending zone, what real slow the german advance. Best terrain against panzers.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

You should start building RR units. All armies must have 2, boosting the fort building.
You have 10 at start, so would be wise to send them to the most important sectors. And around Pskov, the 3 swamp hex is the most usefull defending zone, what real slow the german advance. Best terrain against panzers.

Once I can can work out how to get better photos up, I will carry on with posts and my turn notes, as far forward as the photos don't give things away.

Of the initial RR units, I think 8 not 10, 2 RR units went to the land bridge, 6 RR to the Pskov area.

Personally I prefer sapper regiments, they have a better construction value, plus can fight.

It should be noted that the 8 RR units you start the game with, the TOE is just 90%, I reset the TOE to 100 on T1.

Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Photoscape is a good option, and I use it.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

It's free and has screen capture option, plus it's easy to cut the unused parts, and resize the image.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

Its all gibberish to me, I thought a crop was something you grew, my tech guy will show me, then I will be fine.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Huw Jones

Its all gibberish to me, I thought a crop was something you grew, my tech guy will show me, then I will be fine.

your tech "guy"?

So its me vs your company?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHs9atxCeU

If your worth less then a billon then your not worth as much as one of the people that have lost or done a draw.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

your tech "guy"?

If your worth less then a billon then your not worth as much as one of the people that have lost or done a draw.

jaja I will need all the help I can get, he just looks after my computers, when required and I get him to show me how to do things I don't know.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

your tech "guy"?

jaja, he just looks after my computers, when required and I get him to show me how to do things I don't know.

Ahh a friend
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T1 Center

Pull back to land bridge over a turn or two, with skirmish line out.

Attachments
T1Minsk.jpg
T1Minsk.jpg (337.57 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T1 South.

Aim to pull back gradually to the Denepr River, trying to keep the forward units at the out range of the German in units, forcing his Arm to use up MP attacking them.

While I build fortifications along the rive and evacuate as much industry as I can.

Attachments
T1South.jpg
T1South.jpg (397.11 KiB) Viewed 660 times
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

My guess is that Pelton is going to make you pay for this strategy. In the south, I think you either put up a solid line at the pre-war border forts or completely pull back to the Dnepr. Setting up the checker board in my opinion will just result in lots more units getting swallowed up during a time when he has to move anyway. So giving him free units while he's covering ground he needs to cover to me isn't the way to go. I prefer a solid line or complete withdrawal (most likely withdrawal as the Lvov pocket is sealed meaning you probably don't have the strength for a solid line). I can't see the CVof the units, but I also would have been tempted to break at least one of the encirclements.

Same comments from the North. I think you're just giving away free units that he can take when covering ground he needs to cover anyway.....

Will be curious to see Pelton's next turn.

Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

ORIGINAL: mattp

My guess is that Pelton is going to pay for this strategy. In the south, I think you either put up a solid line at the pre-war border forts or completely pull back to the Dnepr. Setting up the checker board in my opinion will just result in lots more units getting swallowed up during a time when he has to move anyway. So giving him free units while he's covering ground he needs to cover to me isn't the way to go. I prefer a solid line or complete withdrawal (most likely withdrawal as the Lvov pocket is sealed meaning you probably don't have the strength for a solid line). I can't see the CVof the units, but I also would have been tempted to break at least one of the encirclements.

Same comments from the North. I think you're just giving away free units that he can take when covering ground he needs to cover anyway.....

Will be curious to see Pelton's next turn.

In the North, I don't think he will encircle the skirmish line, as that will stop him pushing on Pskov, he will push them out of the way.

In the Center maybe he will encircle the odd unit, but otherwise same as North.

In the South, yes some will get circled for sure, even if you had the units available, I don't think its wise to build a solid wall yet.

As to breaking pockets, most of the time I can in the South on T1, but not possible in this game, breaking pockets is always the first thing I look at.
Huw Jones

Huw Jones(SHC) vs Pelton- T2 Soviet pics

Post by Huw Jones »

T2 in the north two arm managed to cross the river south of Pskov.

I disbanded the 2 Northern Front Corps, putting the units in one Army, which I then attached to the Northwest Front, upgraded a Northwest Leader to a 6.8.

Then hit the Arm with everything that could reach from two armies of the same front, forcing them back across the river.

I don't think most players will try and pocket the skirmish line as it will slow them up to much, it will also lead to a bigger defense line is along the Pskov river on T3.

If Pelton managed to get 3 units across, I doubt I would have had the CV to hit him, the skirmish line saps up MPs, reducing the amount of arm than can cross the river.

Attachments
T2Pskov.jpg
T2Pskov.jpg (366.64 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T2 Minsk

Attachments
T2Minsk.jpg
T2Minsk.jpg (345.76 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T2 south, Lvov pocket are moving to the mountains.

Two more pockets created, broken for now.

I disband the Black sea fleet commander, and then attach the airbases to the Volga MD commander.

I like to have all fronts/MDs on the map with supporting airbases.

I railed the majority of the best Arm to around D-Town, to dig in, some on T1 and more on T2.

Hopefully I can keep the railroad to Odessa open and evacuate the industry on T3.

Attachments
T2South.jpg
T2South.jpg (377.58 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Peltonx

RE: Huw Jones(SHC) vs Pelton- T2 Soviet pics

Post by Peltonx »

Checker boards can be a pain in the ass if you don't know how to deal with them.

Good game so far.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Huw Jones

Huw Jones(SHC) vs Pelton- T3 Soviet pic

Post by Huw Jones »

T3 Pskov

Attachments
T3Pskov.jpg
T3Pskov.jpg (365.82 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T3 Minsk

Attachments
T3Minsk.jpg
T3Minsk.jpg (344.32 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

T3 South

Two small groups re-pocketed, plus 2 new pockets.

Odessa industry evacuated, plus some other Cities close to the fronts.

A counter attack failed South of Kiev, leaving a number of units unable to pull back as far as I wanted, due to the Germans unit ZOC.

Attachments
T3South.jpg
T3South.jpg (392.7 KiB) Viewed 660 times

Return to “After Action Reports”