Does the game play well on smaller maps?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

JWW

Does the game play well on smaller maps?

Post by JWW »

I'm considering buying the game on sale. In games similar to this in concept, like Civ, Galactic Civ, etc., I usually prefer to play shorter games on smaller maps. Thus the question. I know some might comment that the game is more fully realized on larger maps, but my question is solely about smaller maps. Thanks for answers.
Bingeling

RE: Does the game play well on smaller maps?

Post by Bingeling »

It should work fine on smaller maps. You can create quite fast game (in this context) with fast research and maybe somewhat mature start setup on smaller maps. Or very long, slow games with lots of stars, extremely slow research, pre-warp, and with tons of pirates...

I am not a "shorter game" player myself, maybe others can comment on how fast it is actually possible to play this game.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Small is great to learn on. Obviously, the larger you make it, the more there is to manage... but I like 'em epic.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Small/large doesn't matter as much in this game, as obtaining victory depends more on filling victory conditions than controlling the whole map.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

I actually prefer smaller maps where I can easily manage everything manually without having to resort to extensive automation (on large maps) where it feels like the game is mostly playing itself.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Thanks for the comments. I bought it last night. Working the tutorials. Interrupted ongoing games of Civil War II and To End All Wars to do this.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”