Question about multiplayer

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

FroBodine

Question about multiplayer

Post by FroBodine »

I have never played a Scourge of War game, but I love Napoleonics. I am very interested in this new game.

I read some other threads that talked about multiplayer games involving manu players per side. Can this game be played just head-to-head, with one player per side? Is that too much to command for one person? Basically, how does this game play in one on one multiplayer games?

Secondly, all the complaints about the massive changes to the interface, and how cumbersome and non-intuitive it is really gives me pause. One of the developers said they made the new interface more intuitive and easy, but everyone seems to be saying it is just the opposite.

Hmm.
con20or

RE: Question about multiplayer

Post by con20or »

Multiplayer can be played with 1v1, 2 vs the AI, it is up to you and your friends. it is not too much because you can fight with anything from a single brigade up to a whole army. Start small, brigade and division battles are my favourite anyway :)

The game is only out 24 hours - I would not worry about the interface being too cumbersome, I love it. We designed it to be more intuitive, easy for new players. Most of the team do too it is just very different from our old one and needs some of the old players are getting used to it. Look at any of the videos, the guys demoing it are flying around, ordering as required.
vincere

Post by vincere »

I am picking this up at the weekend.

One of the BIG plus points is the sandbox so hope you guys make this MP at some point.

Also, would like to play MP with my son in my house on two machines. Is that fair/ able to do if I buy the boxed version?
pakfront

Post by pakfront »

Sandbox is already available in multiplayer.

I believe you will need to purchase two copies of the game if you wish to run it on two computers (at the same time in MP*). That said, I think it is worthwhile, I purchased two copies of Gettysburg so I could have friends play at my house. We often play sandbox, PVP (head-to-head), or more commonly PVE (coop-vs-AI.) The latter is tons of fun and we always have epic stories to regale our wives with afterwards.
vincere

Post by vincere »

ORIGINAL: pakfront

I believe you will need to purchase two copies of the game if you wish to run it on two computers. That said, I think it is worthwhile, I purchased two copies of Gettysburg so I could have friends play at my house. We often play sandbox, PVP (head-to-head), or more commonly PVE (coop-vs-AI.) The latter is tons of fun and we always have epic stories to regale our wives with afterwards.

Sandbox Campaign is MP already?

Yes, if needed will buy two copies; but usually can run copy on two PC's. A grey area if in same home with family, that's why I'm openly asking here :-)
con20or

Post by con20or »

Sandbox is what we used in SOWGB and now in SOWWL to generate battles, it can be used in SP and in MP and gives amazing replay value. You are probably referring to the sandbox campaign, which is currently for SP only.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Can we install 2 copies for personal use. Laptop + desk Desk top?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: pakfront

I believe you will need to purchase two copies of the game if you wish to run it on two computers. That said, I think it is worthwhile, I purchased two copies of Gettysburg so I could have friends play at my house. We often play sandbox, PVP (head-to-head), or more commonly PVE (coop-vs-AI.) The latter is tons of fun and we always have epic stories to regale our wives with afterwards.
Same here!! We usually have 4-6 guys over. The ladies usually just roll their eyes [8|]
PVE is amazingly fun. If It was just against the AI I would only give this game a 6/10 with MP games it is more like 10/10!
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
AP514

Post by AP514 »

to Vincere:

I think it is like older SOW products...you can place the game on any computer but only 1 can/will work at a time.
(you have to remove the activation code from computer 1 to get the computer 2 to work)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: AP514

to Vincere:

I think it is like older SOW products...you can place the game on any computer but only 1 can/will work at a time.
(you have to remove the activation code from computer 1 to get the computer 2 to work)

I dont think that is the case with Matrix versions at least. I'm pretty sure I have SOW:Gettys on my Desktop and my laptop (for when I go out of town). Though since original question was about MP, I have no idea.

Rick

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Does this game use Slitherine's PBEM+ multiplayer system for finding and hosting games? Or, does it have its own version of setting up multiplayer games, so you don't have to post an e-mail here asking for an opponent.

Basically, what's the best way to get an opponent for a game of SOW: Waterloo?
Steveonfirst

Post by Steveonfirst »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Does this game use Slitherine's PBEM+ multiplayer system for finding and hosting games? Or, does it have its own version of setting up multiplayer games, so you don't have to post an e-mail here asking for an opponent.

Basically, what's the best way to get an opponent for a game of SOW: Waterloo?

There are 3 - 4 SOW veterans who have been playing large scale civil war MPs over the last 2 years. We do custom OOBs on any of the available maps, command mainly corps strength with AI cranked up. Not sure if the others will get into Waterloo, but mine is on order (too big to download, takes too long.) Once we get some ramp up time, one or more of us will probably be ready for some MP. Will post here as we progress.
Hancock The Superb

"There are times when a corp commander's life does not count.." Major General W.S. Hancock- "Thunderbolt of the Army of the Potomac"
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

it has a built in lobby system. However I usually find it best to arrange game times in advance once you have found a few online contacts.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you. So, it's real time multiplayer? Meaning you have to play the entire game in one sitting? Or is it like the Combat Mission games where you give your orders, then send in your turn to the next guy, they do their orders, then the turn plays out in real time. Something like that?

Or is it strictly real time the entire game, and you have to remain online and play it out?
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Or is it strictly real time the entire game, and you have to remain online and play it out?

Yes. Works best in teams with gaming headsets for comms (for those that aren't HITS/courier fanatics lol).

Our group usually play 2-3 hr games. The most intensive gaming you could imagine. I would need some serious brownie points accrued to be able to take a day off to play the entire battle!

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

I would not worry about the interface being too cumbersome, I love it.

I agree, I dont find the one provided as a Mod better. Please keep and develop this option :-)
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
con20or

Post by con20or »

Glad to hear it - I love the new UI too. It is very easy to edit - once we release the SDK you can move buttons around/add as you like.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”