Moving from East Coast USA to Cape Town

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

brucebbi

Moving from East Coast USA to Cape Town

Post by brucebbi »

Not sure if I can move ground units from the East Coast USA to Cape Town. Can this be done?
Mundy

RE: Moving from East Coast USA to Cape Town

Post by Mundy »

Yep, put them in strategic mode.  It will even let you send them there if they're still under a restricted command.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

It will even let you send them there if they're still under a restricted command.

This seems surprising. But even so, once arrived in Capetown they would be stuck until bought out, correct?
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Yes, they still can't board a ship at this point.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

It does mean you can get units you plan to buy out started on the journey while still saving toward the buyout.
Hans

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Yep, put them in strategic mode.  It will even let you send them there if they're still under a restricted command.

You don't need to do this.

Put the LCU in Move mode. Click on Set Destination Hex. Click on Cape Town. A Y/N confirmation box will appear. Click Y. The LCU will arrive at CT still in Move mode. You save 4-6 days packing and unpacking.
The Moose
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Put the LCU in Move mode. Click on Set Destination Hex. Click on Cape Town. A Y/N confirmation box will appear. Click Y. The LCU will arrive at CT still in Move mode. You save 4-6 days packing and unpacking.

I believe you but what is the advantage? Unless you are going to invade somewhere from Cape Town, wouldn't you need to put the troops in Strategic Mode to get them on the map?
Bill Goin
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I believe you but what is the advantage? Unless you are going to invade somewhere from Cape Town, wouldn't you need to put the troops in Strategic Mode to get them on the map?

No. Use Amphib. TF.

I virtually never move troops by ship in Strat mode. Occasionally into India where they're immediately going thousands of miles once they land. But I accept the space inefficiency to gain the pack time as well as not have an ugly surprise when I land.
The Moose
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Aren't there penalties on disruption, fatigue and morale when moving LCUs in amphib TFs over long distances?
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

That was my impression.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

That was my impression.

I've never checked to see if those factors change while in the wormhole. Out of it and the trip is no longer than many in the game. If they need to recover when they land so be it. I'd rather they recover than have to fight in Strat mode.

Play it however you like.
The Moose
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

No. Use Amphib. TF.

I virtually never move troops by ship in Strat mode. Occasionally into India where they're immediately going thousands of miles once they land. But I accept the space inefficiency to gain the pack time as well as not have an ugly surprise when I land.

Interesting. Never thought of that one. A new factor to consider. (And the comments about disruption are another factor to consider.)
Bill Goin
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Don't the troops arrive in Cape Town in 37 days or so? This non-ship move equals the off-map move by ships doing 2 hexes per phase/4 hexes per day. You can get to Cape Town faster using ships for off-map movement.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

True- but you can start them moving without buying them out first which if you plan it properly- saves you time.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

True- but you can start them moving without buying them out first which if you plan it properly- saves you time.

And it doesn't risk leaving the motorized support behind and needing a second set of transports.
The Moose

Return to “The War Room”