Help with Orders?

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Grim.Reaper

Help with Orders?

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Hello, the new command interface is taken a little time to understand and had a couple of questions as I played the tutorial.

1) In the tutorial, it says to right click on the ground where you want your unit to go and then once you let go of the mouse button the orders popup menu will be displayed. The tutorial text says now to select what you want the unit to do AFTER it arrives at the location on the map. I then choose a formation like line, thinking the unit will travel to the location and once arrived, will form a line. But the way it seems to work for me, as soon as I choose the line formation, my unit IMMEDIATELY moves into line formation versus waiting until it arrives at the destination as the tutorial text indicates. Is the tutorial text incorrect about the order happening AFTER arrival versus IMMEDIATE? Or am I doing something wrong? I would prefer in cases to travel in column and then form the line once they are in position.

2) In the tutorial, it says you can queue multiple orders together such as move a unit into line formation and double time. The tutorial says once the popup menu is shown, first select the line formation, then select the double time order, and then select the button that executes the orders. But when I attempt to do this, right after I select the first order of line, the popup closes, then I have to reopen and then select the double time order, then the popup closes again, so I need to reopen and then choose the execute queued orders button, but at that point the unit is already doing the multiple things. Am I doing something wrong? Or is the tutorial text incorrect on how to do it? Doesn't make sense that the popup menu closes after each individual order since that defeats the purpose of using a queue.

Any help would be appreciated.
con20or

RE: Help with Orders?

Post by con20or »

1) They should travel in column unless there are enemy nearby. They certainly will when road marching. It could be you are too close to the unit in the fort, they will deploy into line then to fire at the fort.

3) You have to right click on buttons to queue them, then hit send.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: con20or

1) They should travel in column unless there are enemy nearby. They certainly will when road marching. It could be you are too close to the unit in the fort, they will deploy into line then to fire at the fort.

3) You have to right click on buttons to queue them, then hit send.

1) I tried this from the starting point on the tutorial and they immediately formed a line then moved towards the fort. I even issued a movement order in the opposite direction of the fort and they still formed line immediately. I'll have to try outside of the tutorial, maybe something is specific with it.

2) Thank you, I missed the text where it said you had to right click each option, it worked now.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I tried with a non-tutorial battle and had the same issue. The enemy did not appear to be close and I even marched my unit away from the front lines. I right clicked on the map, from the order menu selected line and immediately they formed a line then moved to the location versus waiting until they arrived.

I must be doing something incorrect....
con20or

Post by con20or »

I just tried it there and it worked fine. The unit moved in column, changing to line at the destination.

We had many forum requests from the previous games to cut down on troops road marching close to the enemy so the radius has been increased significantly, that is probably what you are seeing especially if it is a line-of-sight sandbox battle.

Try a 'hunt them down' sandbox battle type to make sure you have noone around and see if it works then.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: con20or

I just tried it there and it worked fine. The unit moved in column, changing to line at the destination.

We had many forum requests from the previous games to cut down on troops road marching close to the enemy so the radius has been increased significantly, that is probably what you are seeing especially if it is a line-of-sight sandbox battle.

Try a 'hunt them down' sandbox battle type to make sure you have noone around and see if it works then.

Using the setup you described, it worked. Seems like the radius must be fairly large then since in the other battle I tried, my unit seemed pretty far away, certainly far enough away where moving in column seemed to make sense and didn't represent a huge threat. But at least I know the reason now.
con20or

Post by con20or »

Yes, it is quite large. Units need sufficient time to deploy when approaching the enemy so we did not want them road marching to destruction. Line of sight battles are just for very small skirmishers, attack, defend and hunt them down are what you will use most.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”