Supplies, Convoys, and OOB (Beginner questions)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gregormendel

Supplies, Convoys, and OOB (Beginner questions)

Post by gregormendel »

1) Determining supplies required. Say I want to keep my Manchuria garrison supplied. Where do I see the amount of supplies that all forces in Manchuria (Kwangtung Army) require? Do I need to get out a pen and paper and write down what each base in Manchuria requires and then add it all up? Should I use multiple ports or will one Hiroshima-Moppo convoy take care of it? How many supplies are being lost on the roads from Moppo to the inland forces? I read somewhere that you only need to send 1/3rd of the supplies required? How much more should I send for units that will be in combat? Does the "supplies required" number on the base screen take into account construction, damage, etc..? Or does it just represent what the current garrison requires?

2) Resources Where can I see how many resources are being produced in Sakhalin? Hokkaido or in the home islands? The total resources produced figures on the industrial screen are quite useless. They work for things like airframes and engines which magically appear in bases but not for resources and fuel that need to be in a certain location to have an effect. Do I need to get out a pen and paper and write down what all of the bases in those specific areas are producing and add them up? I have no idea how many ships I'm going to need in order to get the right amount of resources from the Empire to the Home Islands. Going through each base individually is not my idea of fun. Especially in 2015 and especially when a simple geographical sorting could make the whole thing much easier. What am I missing here? Oh and what does it mean when something is producing "20-400" resources/HI/LI, etc... A few well placed pop-ups or some very basic infographics would go miles in a game like this which makes their absence even more infuriating.

3) OOB Where is it? Right now I am going through individual HQs and hitting the "ground units" button to show all the ground units within that HQ. Do I really have to get out a pen and paper and write down what my OOB is? HoI had a nice little tool that I could click on and gave me a nice tiered menu showing who belongs to what all the way from regiment (X) to Command HQ (XXXXXX) in one screen. Where is that?

I feel like I understand the game (after weeks of research) but now that I'm ready to begin an actual turn the vast majority of my time is occupied with busy work. I can specify what altitude air groups can fly at (ridiculously unneccessary level of granularity, isn't that what the air group commander is for?) but I have no idea how many resources are being produced in China and what roads they are on or what port they are going to. I guess I put "stockpile resources" on Shanghai but I have absolutely no idea if this is going to collect all the resources in China in an efficient manner.

Does WITP tracker help? I want to play the game as it was designed and intended and am reticent to use a third party tool. But certainly the player wasn't intended to go through each base on the map one by one adding up numbers?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! I'm hoping that many of these problems are "turn 1" problems and that I just have to bite the bullet and get on with it but I honestly see the problem getting worse. I have no idea how many supplies a unit actually requires or how many resources are being produced in China. What happens when the OpTempo picks up and I've got to figure out what is in Borneo, Java, etc...? Do I need to get the pen and paper out again and go back to adding everything up by individual bases? Isn't that what computers are for? Heck, isn't it less realistic the way it currently is? I wonder if MacArthur ever asked his staff how many supplies were required by forces on the main Philippine Island and was told "Well sir, better get out there and start counting!"

edit: Oh, and one last question (kudos to you for reading this far and not hating me yet), do all aircraft require only 1 pilot (no co-pilots, navigators, gunners)? My DB/TB groups seem to have the same manpower requirements as my fighter groups.. and my level bomber groups for that matter. WAD?
gregormendel

RE: Supplies, Convoys, and OOB (Beginner questions)

Post by gregormendel »

Another question regarding convoys; can I set up my AO/AK convoys to drop-off at multiple bases or is it all point-to-point?

For example, can I have one cargo TF from Truk stop off at each garrison in the Marshall Islands before returning home or will that be pointless since all of the supplies will have been unloaded at the first stop?

rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

For example, can I have one cargo TF from Truk stop off at each garrison in the Marshall Islands before returning home or will that be pointless since all of the supplies will have been unloaded at the first stop?

yes point to point. i use hub and spoke your mileage may vary.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Kull

Post by Kull »

There have been a few threads recently from guys who are starting AE by playing Japan, and i can only caution that it's a HUGE step up on the degree of difficulty chart. I started off with the Allies and it was absolutely the right move for me. There are MANY complexities involved in understanding the warfare elements of the game, and that can take months of gametime to really grasp. But when you play Japan you also have to plan ALL your production, run an economy on a fraction of the resources available to the Allies, and move these resources all over the map, while at the same time planning out a massive multi-pronged series of invasions involving much of the map.

That is a LOT to learn, all at the same time. Most of you would be far better off (and far less frustrated) by starting off as the Allies and only moving on to Japan once you have a solid understanding of the basic elements. I'm sure you are bright guys and will pick it all up as time goes by, but there is a better way.

Plus, when you do finally play as Japan, you'll have gained real insight into the strengths and weaknesses of the Allied units and positions, and that can only help.
gregormendel

Post by gregormendel »

ORIGINAL: Kull

There have been a few threads recently from guys who are starting AE by playing Japan, and i can only caution that it's a HUGE step up on the degree of difficulty chart. I started off with the Allies and it was absolutely the right move for me. There are MANY complexities involved in understanding the warfare elements of the game, and that can take months of gametime to really grasp. But when you play Japan you also have to plan ALL your production, run an economy on a fraction of the resources available to the Allies, and move these resources all over the map, while at the same time planning out a massive multi-pronged series of invasions involving much of the map.

That is a LOT to learn, all at the same time. Most of you would be far better off (and far less frustrated) by starting off as the Allies and only moving on to Japan once you have a solid understanding of the basic elements. I'm sure you are bright guys and will pick it all up as time goes by, but there is a better way.

Plus, when you do finally play as Japan, you'll have gained real insight into the strengths and weaknesses of the Allied units and positions, and that can only help.

Thanks, I think this is sound advice. I was really looking forward to seeing how much I could get out of Japan as compared to historically and also felt that it would be less of a headache to simply deal with 2 nationalities and a large amount of units compared to 8 or so allied nationalities and the gigantic horde that is the USN.

I think I have a solid grasp on the game mechanics as Japan and could play through a turn but I'm not sure that I want to. I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing things the long way and simply don't have the time to go through bases and add up numbers on my work laptop. I'm going to give it a go with tracker as the problem just seems to be a lack of information. Thanks again.

edit: and of course I'll have your start-up guide open which I've just now found : )
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

I just started playing again after a hiatus of almost two years so I'm not sure if this old thread is still up to date, but I'm taking it as a refresher course in setting up shipping (and the economy)
tm.asp?m=2933397&mpage=1&key=

Edit : - and Mike Solli's AAR

tm.asp?m=2959613
gregormendel

Post by gregormendel »

Okay, I'll narrow my gigantic list of questions into the three most important:

1) Where can I find how many resources are being produced in a certain area? Is there anyway to tell, for instance, what the entire supply needs of Hokkaido are or the total amount of resources that are being produced in Hokkaido or do I need to go through each base manually adding the individual numbers?

2) Where can I find my OOB besides going through the "ground units" button? I'd like to know what air, naval, and ground forces are assigned to Southern Command. Where do I find that?

3) Do all aircraft require only 1 pilot regardless of the aircraft type?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: gregormendel

Okay, I'll narrow my gigantic list of questions into the three most important:

1) Where can I find how many resources are being produced in a certain area? Is there anyway to tell, for instance, what the entire supply needs of Hokkaido are or the total amount of resources that are being produced in Hokkaido or do I need to go through each base manually adding the individual numbers?

You do it once, and once only, using paper and pen. For this exercise the "Industry Management" screen (short cut key "J") is more than adequate. That once only exercise will quickly show you where the input/output gaps are in non connected terrestrial areas. The overland logistics model automatically moves things without the need for constant player attention.

2) Where can I find my OOB besides going through the "ground units" button? I'd like to know what air, naval, and ground forces are assigned to Southern Command. Where do I find that?

Use the ground units list (short cut key "G") and then use the various available filters.

3) Do all aircraft require only 1 pilot regardless of the aircraft type?

Yes.

I read your OP and your tone was not persuasive to engender a respond. Just because you could not find things is not evidence that the information is not provided in game.

Alfred
gregormendel

Post by gregormendel »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I read your OP and your tone was not persuasive to engender a respond. Just because you could not find things is not evidence that the information is not provided in game.

Alfred

Oh boy... I asked if I had to go through each base manually or if I was missing some sort of interface. There is no interface to show you certain pieces of information without getting out a pen and paper and adding the information yourself. I could find the information I needed, I never said I couldn't, all I said was that the method was ridiculously inefficient and time consuming. I think I called it "busy work".

Once again, I just wanted to know if there was a more sophisticated way of adding the numbers. Turns out there is and that system is called WiTP AE Tracker. This purist response to noobs to only use what is in the game is unhelpful. The game is amazing. I'm not crapping on your game so please don't get defensive.

Regardless, thank you for your answers.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There are some player made tools that provide some of the aggregate information like the Tracker. Tracker can be a bit tricky to get going, but there is a very long thread on the forum about it with a lot of suggestions to help people get things to work. A lot of players swear by Tracker.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Tracker tells me exactly when I'm going to run out of oil.

Amongst other things!

Return to “The War Room”