First Impressions?!?!

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Kensai83

First Impressions?!?!

Post by Kensai83 »

How are your first impressions of SOWW????

Please write!!! [:)]
roy64

RE: First Impressions?!?!

Post by roy64 »

Massive disappointment, the toolbar is confusing & moving the camera around the map is very awkward. Scourge of War Gettysburg was perfect. Why change it? [&:]
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

Im enjoying it, AI seems to be improved and has different strategies if I repeat a scenario.
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Roy try to activate the grog toolbar of Rebblugler if you want some more GB style toolbar (it is also for have a feedback for the future grog version of toolbar) you can also deactivate the contextual menu from the options if you want.
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
oho_slith

Post by oho_slith »

Massive disapointment for now. I would like to give it back in the current state.
The movement is almost always in line, column of division is rarely used (1 percent) by the ai opponent. Once I saw an melee ATTACK in column of division, but the rest is line units moving around and overlapping after a while.
Playing with 1:4 ration makes units-lines overlap very strong but also 1:6 ratio results sometimes in crosses where units cross each other in the center in 90 degrees. Whole chaos after a while with bigger scenarios.
There are brigades, no colonels and their regiments on the french side at least.
I'd wish I could say something more possitive. Maybe there is an option for default units movement over the battlefield that I overlooked - I hope so.
Gettysburgh was more realistic but Waterloo is a ACW Game in Napoleon uniform.

oho
LittlePowell_NSD

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

ORIGINAL: roy64

Massive disappointment, the toolbar is confusing & moving the camera around the map is very awkward. Scourge of War Gettysburg was perfect. Why change it? [&:]

The new movement/controls does take some getting used to. But once you get familiar with it, trust me, you'll wish Gettysburg had the same controls.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Here is a 26 minute first look video, not mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOfoo0cl8KI
con20or

Post by con20or »

cool video!
roy64

Post by roy64 »

I hope so, but I'm really missing the right click to drag the map around, at the moment I have to spend most of my attention making sure I'm right clicking the toolbar & not the map.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Great experience so far!!! 9/10
For LAN MP games do we need to be online?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
con20or

Post by con20or »

No, just direct connect. I have played with friends just using a single SKY router.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

I'm satisfied. Looks good right out of the box.......how many games can say that???????? I have even tried it out in MP and good to go.

Use the optional tool bar in the mods section it is a must especially if your roots are in SOW Gettysburg.

Roy64, Get a three button mouse. The middle button is what you need for map navigation. I'm in the same boat that you are in. I have to buy a new mouse.
roy64

Post by roy64 »

I have a three button mouse, it's the right click & drag that I'm missing.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

it's the right click & drag that I'm missing.

Right click and drag anywhere on the bottom panel to make it work like GB interface.

Looking very impressive so far, but as others have said, if you're familiar with previous games some practice with the new ui will be needed to get up to speed.

Reeks of quality, well done chaps.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

'melee ATTACK in column of division' historicaly the French did that a lot
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
roy64

Post by roy64 »

Yes I know, that's what I don't like.[:(]
Squid

Post by Squid »

I think i have played or owned just about every napoleonic game released over the last 20 years.

This is the best, bar none.
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

The new movement/controls does take some getting used to. But once you get familiar with it, trust me, you'll wish Gettysburg had the same controls.

Umm...no I won't. There was just no need for the context menu and after controlling the camera with Right-Click for 3 years, having the entire system changed is a bummer. Yes, I'm sure it's something to get used to, but overall I find it far more confusing than it needs to be. Hopefully all of this can be modded....

Other than this however, I've enjoyed my first few games...
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

One thing I sort of hate is that the French assault column looks sort of silly. It has WAY too much depth to it. I can sort of understand the rationale if trying to simulate a 6 company column, but it seems to throw the scale way off and the depth is far too much. The middle and rear ranks should be closed in more with the front rank. Assault columns historically didn't have nearly this much depth to them and in game it's difficult to tell lines apart from Column by Division. not sure why it was made this way, but it's sort of a downer...
itkotw2000

Post by itkotw2000 »

This is my first Scourge of War game so I don't have much to compare my impressions to.
I started the game by picking the first battle as French (taking a forest then farm). The battle starts by telling you to probe the forest and the game detaches three units to skirmish. I seriously feel like the game is trying to fight me at every click of the mouse and turn of the camera.

Once you give a move order, there is no telling where your unit will end up. There is no way to tell approximately what space your formation will take up when it reaches its destination. This is important because the game does not like to overlap formations and it will rearrange your troops which ever way it sees fit. If my supporting artillery is to the south and the enemy to the north, the game might try to "fix" my formations by sending my troops to the north east. Far too often you will give an order to a unit, and then a minute later look back and see the unit walking in the other direction.

Since the first battle involves a farmhouse/fort, there are instances where your line wheels around and half of your formation is on one side of the wall and the other half on the other side. Your troop formations do not really collide with the wall. It is abstract. When this happens you have no way of telling what your troops are really doing (I get this feeling most of the time I play this). Are they fighting past the wall? Are they firing at the wall? Did they make it past the wall? Are they firing at the troops in the courtyard? Trying to defend the wall as the British gives you the same problems. It was very hard playing the British to get setup in the fort, at least in a way that appears to make sense.

The part that really interested me and is pretty much the only reason I considered the game is the Sandbox Campaign. Thought of out maneuvering the enemy and trapping/tricking them seems to me what the battle of Waterloo was all about. I managed to start three different campaigns, each ending prematurely after one battle. It went so poorly I had to restart. First battle of the first campaign I had a French division of infantry and a division of cavalry detached and stationary in a town. The enemy advanced on the town and the battle started. Only my infantry division was there in the battle, no cavalry. Started over. First battle of the second campaign I had two detached infantry divisions in a town, stationary. The enemy advances and the battle starts. My forces start out defending the town while facing north. Time goes on, I don't see any enemy. I send out a couple scout units. Time goes on - no enemy. Then I realized the enemy was coming from the east and the game set my forces facing north. There is no real hint to the direction the enemy is coming. I you cant go back and look at the strategy map to get your bearings. Started over. First battle of the third campaign. I had two detached divisions in a town. The enemy advanced and the battle started. It took me a second to figure out the game set me as the attacker and the enemy (that just advanced to the town) as the defender. I was looking forward to a hard defense(I was out numbered) That was it for me too many hours spent fighting the game, start over...

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”