new screenshots

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

e_barkmann

new screenshots

Post by e_barkmann »

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Ostwindflak

RE: new screenshots

Post by Ostwindflak »

It looks marvelous already! Thank you for the update, very encouraging to see the project still marching on. [:)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes will like to beta this one when it's ready :)

looks great[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

+1 on the beta.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I would like to be on the Beta test team for this. I have the time and interest.

I am familiar with Napoleonic tactics and I believe that I could be of assistance.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Yup... greatly looking forward to this one...

All the best,
Kip.
petersolo

Post by petersolo »

The screenshots look great. I have a couple of questions though. I noticed on another site that squares cannot move. This is not correct. Squares could move. Also if the game is going to be at battalion level how will you handle light companies? Will you be able to skirmish in front of the battalion with your light company? If you are commanding a light infantry battalion how will you use them in skirmish mode if needed?

I have played the battleground series from years ago, specifically the Waterloo and Quatre Bras games and thought they had some very good concepts in place regarding the use of light troops.

Peter
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I noticed on another site that squares cannot move. This is not correct. Squares could move.

Hi Peter

I was aware that in some desperate situations squares could very slowly relocate...but it was uncommon. Do you have references you could cite regarding this? I would be interested read more on mobile squares

cheers

Champagne

Post by Champagne »

It's not a "game-killer" if squares must be stationary. In the face of a cavalry threat, infantry squares had to maintain a strict and compact formation, so, trying to take some footsteps in order to move would only tend to make it more difficult to maintain the square formation. Any defect in the square formation risked complete destruction for the whole battalion. As such, it was common practice for squares to be immobile.

There is some indication that infantry in square could move. A large French infantry square at Wagram marched into battle. At Waterloo, one of the last formed French battalions is said to have marched off of the field in square formation. It was an Old Guard battalion.

However, once enemy cavalry displayed a threatening presence, the square had to halt and establish its compact battle formation. I can think of no example of an infantry square marching in the face of enemy cavalry threatening to charge.

So, if the game engine works best with immobile infantry squares, IMHO, this is not a show-stopper.

It would be nice if artillery crews had the ability to find cover in nearby friendly infantry squares, however. Even the old Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle computer game had this feature.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
petersolo

Post by petersolo »

I can't lay my hands on anything at the minute but I have read quite widely regarding Napoleonic battles and played Clash of Arms La Bataille system which is very detailed.
It is true that infantry would have to be well trained to move in square so it won't be a game breaker. However the Old Guard were certainly capable, as mentioned above. More importantly for me is the accurate use of light companies in the skirmish role as well as light cavalry skirmish abilities.

Peter
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Peter,
accurate use of light companies in the skirmish role

agreed - the currently published sow engine does not have this capability (not really an ACW thing anyway).

We have a small group of players here in Australia that regularly play sow online multiplayer battles (as well as the napoleonic mod additions), so please drop me a pm if you'd like to have a go when Waterloo comes out.

cheers

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant
I noticed on another site that squares cannot move. This is not correct. Squares could move.

Hi Peter

I was aware that in some desperate situations squares could very slowly relocate...but it was uncommon. Do you have references you could cite regarding this? I would be interested read more on mobile squares

cheers

Reading 'Waterloo - The French Perspective' : Andrew Field, which describes the attack of the Middle Guard advancing in square formation :

quote General Petit (French),

'It was about 7pm ....... the 3rd and 4th Chasseurs and Grenadiers marched forward. They crossed to the left of the road where they were formed into battalion squares with the exception of the 4th Regiments that, because of their weakness of numbers, formed only one square each.'

'Formed in square in echelon, they moved forward, General Friant at the head of the 1/3rd Grenadiers ......'

British reports refer to the Guard advancing in coloumns :

quote Ensign Dirom - 1st Guards (British),

'The French columns showed no appearance of having suffered on their advance, but seemed as regularly formed as if at a field day.'

quote Macready - 30th Regiment (British),

'They ...... came over the hill in beautiful order'

The British officers saw the Middle Guard advance as well ordered and controlled formations, which they referred to as columns, but French reports are consistent that the Guard was advancing in squares. The battalions of the Middle Guard were able to move in square and maintain their formation under intense fire, over difficult rising ground. The square formation, for the attack, seems to have been chosen after seeing the repulse of the earlier 1st Corps advance, that had been routed by the charge of the Household Brigade.

There seems to be some doubt as to whether the Guard intended, or was able, to deploy on reaching the top of the slope, but the square formation had given them the opportunity to present all-around fire against the defenders, rather than the restricted fire possible in a more conventional column formation. There were comments on the volume of fire the Guard poured onto the opposing Allied units, presumably whilst still in square formation.

The repulse was partially achieved by a Dutch battery, which was moved into a flanking position and delivered devastating fire into the Guard formation, which if still in square, would have been more vulnerable.

The Guard had little support and retreated as the fire of the defending units increased, as they closed onto the flanks of the attack.

As the French army dissolved in rout, several Guard units left the battlefield in moving squares, held with such resolution that most Allied cavalry units were reluctant to attack and so moved off to find easier targets.

This description is of the Middle Guard at Waterloo, which were elite troops, however it should have been possible for elite troops of other nations to achieve a similar performance, if placed in similar circumstances.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Rasputitsa,

thanks for the info, interesting. I have been meaning to buy the publication you referenced.

cheers chris

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Rasputitsa,

thanks for the info, interesting. I have been meaning to buy the publication you referenced.

cheers chris

Also by the same author, 'Prelude to Waterloo - Quatre Bras - The French Perspective', both titles are available on Kindle, although not so convenient for maps, but there are obviously many other sources for maps to complement the read.

I am only getting back into Napoleonics after a long break, but I found these publications a very useful addition to an already established collection of the 'usual suspects' on the subject. There is also one on Talarvera, but I haven't started it yet. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

purchased both as epub files (via http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk ), bargain for a total of $20. Very interesting take on the 'one sided' history of Waterloo, looking forward to finding time to read in detail :)

cheers Chris

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

purchased both as epub files (via http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk ), bargain for a total of $20. Very interesting take on the 'one sided' history of Waterloo, looking forward to finding time to read in detail :)

cheers Chris

It is one author's work, but very compelling, as it contains so many references from the French side of the hill.

Normally I am suspicious of revisionist history, but this does not have that feel, the revisions took place long ago, as Wellington established his legacy. This feels more like continuing to correct the errors of the past.

With the Young Guard deployed to recapture Plancenoit and hold off the Prussians, with one unit of the Old Guard supporting them, with the remainder of the Old Guard retained as a final reserve, the attack at 7pm was made by the Middle Guard only, but so many histories make the assumption that the whole of the Imperial Guard took part. Whereas, it was more of a 'forlorn hope' with very little chance of success, unless the Allied army was on the point of collapse and already retreating.

Good Read. [:)]

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

hopefully as it's out soon and after tonight's live feed some more new pictures and info will get released
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

+1 on the beta.

seems they have done a internal as it never came here to beta either, shame as would have also liked to have tested it, so will be looking and commenting more later in the live feed and see what does or doesn't pop up[;)]
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

Hi, Have just watched the trailer and the GFX look quite nice compared to SOW Civil war. Nicer colours and shading etc. Have the GFX been enhanced for the trailer or do they actually look like this?... because looking at surtur's twitch report the GFX do not look as good as the trailer and nor indeed do the screenshots. Just to be clear I'm not complaining, I'm just interested to know before I buy.
Thanks
Huh?
con20or

Post by con20or »

I thought the graphics in the trailer were quite a bit worse than the screenshots! Thw twitch feed was on youtube so it would not be as clean and sharp either.

Here are some more screenies for you to help make up your mind.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterl ... -screenies

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”