Windows 10 due - now

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Windows 10 due - now

Post by Chris21wen »

Say's it all. I'm optimistic so the game will work fine, got to be better than 8 anyway.
RogerJNeilson

RE: Windows 10 due next month

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Well I stuck with 7 and await the brave souls who will try this in 10 and report back to us...... There is no rush to adopt it straight away.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

I think we've got a year before the early free adoption runs out so no rush. I'll upgrade, but I'll wait half a year for the worst of the bugs and issues to get ironed out. Hopefully witp ae works well.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I read in another Matrix tech forum some folks have already said their Matrix games work fine on windows 10....

That said...I just wish Bill Gates' child would just go away and leave me alone now..

Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

The upgrade is free, I'm going for it. As long as I don't start seeing like Microsoft logos on my PBYs.

Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Well I stuck with 7 and await the brave souls who will try this in 10 and report back to us...... There is no rush to adopt it straight away.

Roger
+1
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Microsoft's track record...

windows 3.11 (where I started)... good.
'95... not so good.
'98... good.
Millennium... not so good.
XP... good.
Vista... not so good.
Win7... good
Win8... not so good?
Win10... ??? We'll see.[:D]

These are just my personal observations and just MHO. I too use Win7 and have no inclination to change at this point.
I just wish Bill Gates' child would just go away and leave me alone now..

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Microsoft does tend to have problems with every other release of Windows. I thought Windows 95 was pretty good. It was far, far easier to use with the internet than Win 3.1.

I'm a programmer writing programs for Windows and only just upgraded to Win 7 last year from XP. I used Windows 2000 for a long time until it became nonviable and I had to switch to XP. I have no plans to upgrade further until I have to. Win 7 is OK, but I liked XP much better. I used to use Windows Explorer heavily and they utterly broke it to a point where it is unusable in Win 7. I use a third party replacement, which has many more features, but it lacks the simplicity of WE in XP and it's prone to odd behaviors at times.

I'm so old school, I tweak everything to look as much like the Windows 95/NT 4 interface as possible. It was a lot more basic than later interfaces, but I hate learning a new interface. I've learned that it might be related to my mild dyslexia. I have a friend with pretty severe dyslexia and she can have a melt down if someone moves an icon on her desktop. We navigate the world symbolically and based on patterns. When the pattern is changed, it gets very annoying. I have to think through every little step instead of just following the patterns.

For me that's the most annoying thing about OS changes. It is quite possible to build an OS that can be skinned with any interface you want. For example you could have a Windows core OS with an interface that looks and behaves like any previous model of Windows, Mac OS (assuming you got around the intellectual property issues), or any Linux interface. Underneath it would do the same thing, but the user experience could be tailored to whatever worked best for them. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 are actually the same guts underneath. Almost all the changes were in the user interface. Vista got something difficult to use, 7 improved usability, 8 broke it again trying to merge the phone and desktop OS interface, even though they are used very differently.

The desktop OSs are in a difficult spot in their evolution. Personal users are moving heavily over to portable devices, but desktop/laptops are still heavily used in work environments plus personal users who have heavy duty applications (like games too big for a portable device or other CPU intensive or graphics intensive applications). Microsoft has screwed up their OSs trying to chase the personal user market for some years. They have had a good chunk of it through inertia, but Apple has always appealed better to the casual users (personally I can't stand Mac OS, I can't grok it, but it's not made for people who think like I do). Microsoft's strength has always been with business users and they have made their OSs too cutesy trying to appeal to the unsophisticated user base rather than focus on their core customers.

XP was fantastically popular with business users to a point where they extended the end of life much further than they had originally planned. Business has adopted Win 7 to a large degree. The company I work for makes industrial test equipment and they were using XP for their test systems when I started. I had to make changes so their software would work under Win 7, but they plan to stay there until Win 7 become unavailable.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Roger
+1
+1 +1
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

+1 from a fellow (former) computer nerd. Personally, I think OS2 Warp was the best operating system ever. Too complicated for the casual user, but really robust and customizable if you knew what you were doing.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Just a "heads up" for those contemplatiing making the switch to Win10... You will lose Windows Media Center. Apparently, Microsoft is getting out of the media player business. A real bummer, although there are a few third party replacements, if you check around. I don't have a video library full of recorded files, but with all the licensing requirements for playing such things (and WMC interacted with that) I wonder where this will leave people's video libraries ? Will they just become unplayable ?.. or will you have to go through some convoluted conversion process to save them ?

Just look before you leap ! [:D]
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I wouldn't miss it. Among the first things I do with a new Windows installation is delete all the links to the Media Center. IMO VLC is vastly superior and it's free.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I still have fond memories of RAT TRAP on the Coleco..LOL
(Yes...a keyboard was made for even that..)

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I've decided to let all the early adopters act as beta testers for MS for that first year, I'll switch over when the free upgrade period is about to expire. That will give me a chance to see how every one else likes it and what no longer works on it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I've decided to let all the early adopters act as beta testers for MS for that first year, I'll switch over when the free upgrade period is about to expire. That will give me a chance to see how every one else likes it and what no longer works on it.

My plan as well. Desktop with 7 and laptop with 8.1 will both get upgraded toward the end of the free period. :)
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well I have always upgraded as soon as I could up until Win 8. Loathed the interface. I had to put 8.1 on my wife's PC and was surprised at how much better it was than 8. Although still not as good as 7.

I have not had any issues with games or anything else after upgrading. Personally I think Win 7 is the best of MS' OS's to date.

From playing around with the Win 10 builds I actually do think Win 10 is going to be pretty good. Although not without some bumps for some of us [:(]

But anyone that is still on XP should upgrade ASAP as you are just asking to be hacked or have your PC act as a bot. Hackers may not want your information but they would sure would like to use your PC as an agent for no good. It really amazes me that people are still even using XP knowing what the dangers are.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I'm with Shark7 on this one... give it some time to let a few of the bugs to crawl out before biting the apple.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
koniu

Post by koniu »

So it is today[8D]
I hope we will soon have feedback how WITPAE run with new system.
So if someone will upgrade in next few hours or days, please report here how windows and game behave
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: koniu

So it is today[8D]
So if someone will upgrade in next few hours or days, please report here how windows and game behave
Upgrading a PC now, but I won't get AE right away. [:)]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: koniu

So it is today[8D]
Upgrading a PC now, but I won't get AE right away. [:)]

You sir are brave. I'll hold off until they fix the bugs.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”