I am done

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

SPerdomo

I am done

Post by SPerdomo »

I want to start by saying that even though I have hardly posted, I am not new to Wif or MWif either.

I have played Wif since the 80s, when I was in high school. I first came in contact with Wif on the computer through the old download for Chris Marinacci’s version in 2003. I was happy when Matrix took over and I have followed the development of the game as a lurker for a long, long time.

I always found the continuous discussions on whether the game was taking too long or not a bit futile… the game would take whatever it needed to take.

I was confident that when it came out, it was going to be great, and it would allow me to finally play with my old WiF friends, now living far away due to work, families, and, well, life. The wait was worth it because I would finally be able to play this game that I love, with them.

Then, when the game was about to be launched and we heard about the price… well, I still went ahead and bought it because, what the hell, I have a good job, and this is Wif! How could I not buy it? Yes, it was overpriced if I compared it to any other strategic games that I play regularly, but, again, this was WiF.

I got the game, and I was surprised at some of the bugs, but I decided to be patient there as well, after all, I understood that the tester did a labour of love on this game, and without them this would not have happened, and, certainly, better a buggy game of WiF than no game of WiF?

Where I was much less understanding, was on other things, for example how "old" everything was, from a download system that, on the age of steam, feels like an old Ford T seating by a modern car, to the pop up windows during gameplay… it all felt like a game from the 70s or 80s… I was.. underwhelmed by it all.

But hey, this was still WiF… I could play it with my friends… except I couldn’t.

I was again disappointed, no AI, no netplay, again, on the age of Steam, when I only need a couple clicks and I am playing Europa Universalis IV with my friends, and here WiF is, 12 years or more into development, and no proper multiplayer, a UI from the origin of times, a download delivery system equally old…

But I am a patient guy. I kept the game, I visited the forums (a bit less and less regularly as the time passed) and kept hoping for netplay, AI, even a solo campaign that I could play with myself without major bugs. I dreamt of having a week long holiday with my friends, hooking the PC to a projector and playing on my living room’s wall, eating pizza until late and enjoying the banter of old times WiF.

Time moves on, however, and I bought a new computer. With Windows 8.1. And I had to go through that old system for downloading once more, and I installed the game… and now I am getting all kinds of errors and can’t make the game run.

So I paid over 100 euros on a game that I have played 10-15 hours by myself, full of nostalgia. I paid over 100 euros for a game that is stuck in technology 15 years old. I paid over 100 euros for a dream. But some times you have to move on from your dreams.

Hearts of Iron 4 will soon be out, it is not WiF. But it will be downloadable through steam, it will have multiplayer, AI, and it won’t cost over 100 euros.

I am not angry, not even much of the disappointing lingers. What I am left with is sadness. Of what could have been and will never be. I am done with this game. I am done with Matrix. I am really sorry for this, but I wanted to let you know. I was happy to invest my money on this, I was going to push for my friends to buy the game, now I can’t even be bothered to try and fix the errors I am getting to make this 2 year old game play on a modern PC and OS. It is sad.
Erik Rutins

RE: I am done

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi SPerdomo,

I'm sorry to hear this - it should be possible to get the game running fine on Windows 8.1 If you contact our tech support through the help desk or at support@matrixgames.com we would be happy to help.

We've also come a very long way since release and NetPlay among other things is in much better shape. I can't help but feel that you're giving up a bit too soon, but I can understand how you got to this point.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Maybe we expected too much after being in the ADG WiF Beta (Chris Marinacci’s version in 2003) [:(]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

The game has improved a lot since release. On Netplay, thinks are looking far better than at release, but we are still not where we should be with that part of the game.

Solitair and Hot Seat really are improving after each public beta. The reason of the slow going is the ever reoccurring "regression bugs". Something gets fixed and due to that fix, something else pops up, which wasn't a problem before. That takes a lot of time out of everyone (and is really frustrating at times).

I can understand that people are disappointed. But we'll get there, if Steve stays healthy to complete this. The number of bugs is slowly going down, that's a fact...

So I can only say: come back in half a year and see how things are at that moment. Don't despair...

Peter
gw15

Post by gw15 »

The solitaire game is absolutely playable and works fine for me. If I have a bug I go back one phase and then it progresses fine.
Barb netplay is almost there and if Barb naval netplay bugs are addressed then Guad netplay could almost be there.
I feel we are much, much closer than we ever have.
Keep in mind that the rules to this game are so well known that if the game doesn't exactly replicate those rules then people yell "bug!". Other computer wargames like CWII, etc. the player doesn't know if there is a bug because there are no separate rules to compare against.
Hearts of Iron has hundreds of bugs but the player never knows it.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

I uninstalled the game last month as well. I have been waiting patiently for the one-map scenarios to be released since the release and have grown increasingly frustrated month after month reading the updates to see that no work has been done on them. I don't see any chance of seeing the Fascist Tide scenario any time this year if at all anymore.

Yup, I have been told that I can play the Global War scenario but frankly, when I'm playing as Germany, I find fighting the Pacific war as boring as hell and when I'm playing the Pacific war, I find the war in Europe as boring as hell. I don't want to play both.

I won't be re-installing this game and definitely NOT buying anything for this game until I get the one-map scenarios.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I understand some customers frustration. Some other are enjoying it well too. Personally, playing solo/hotseat for Barbarrossa, Guadalcanal works well, and Global War may not be perfect yet, still quite playable in my opinion.

Can be played online with TeamViewer or Google Talk, so for now I am not in a rush with NetPlay.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog
I have been waiting patiently for the one-map scenarios to be released since the release

+1

And AI opponent. I continue to wait, patiently and not-so-patiently as the case may be. My MWiF books are still wrapped, ready for some future day...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

The one question I have not seen about an AI for MWiF is:

Do you just want an AI or a good AI [&:] (A good AI is one that doesn't cheat.)

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

About AI...I don't understand why people are so worked up about having this feature. AI is good if you want to learn the game mechanics on your own, but is not gaming best when played against other humans? Affordable AI that can come close to what humans can do is just not there yet, for now its going to have to cheat to be competitive. I remember a post from Steve saying he does not want an AI that will cheat, and while that's a good goal, I just don't see that kind of AI happening any time soon for us wargamers. Frankly I'm happy Steve has put AI on the way back burner. Netplay cant come soon enough for me.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

The one question I have not seen about an AI for MWiF is:

Hi Extraneous.

Good question on the AI, personally I would just like an AI very good, good, not so good, or bad, well maybe not bad.

Most posters if I remember right feel that his game is too huge and complex to have a decent AI, but they might use it to bone up on strategies, or play the game when they want to play it and not wait a week or two for a human player.

Wif board game people seem to only want to play net play because all of their playing days have been against humans and that makes sense for them. There may be some [WIF'ers] who might appreciate a decent AI [whatever that means to each player] but most likely they would prefer human competition.

You use the word cheat, you seem to know games very well so maybe you can explain that better. I know a lot of games have 3 to 5 levels to choose from to play the AI, I assume that these levels might be additional units or more power assigned to each unit depending on the level chosen.

Could you explain better to me what you considers as cheats, not a loaded question as I really do not know if some AI's cheat or more likely I am not aware of it.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

About AI...I don't understand why people are so worked up about having this feature. AI is good if you want to learn the game mechanics on your own, but is not gaming best when played against other humans? Affordable AI that can come close to what humans can do is just not there yet, for now its going to have to cheat to be competitive. I remember a post from Steve saying he does not want an AI that will cheat, and while that's a good goal, I just don't see that kind of AI happening any time soon for us wargamers. Frankly I'm happy Steve has put AI on the way back burner. Netplay cant come soon enough for me.

Hi Jagd, I will try to answer this from my view point only, If you own the board game I understand where you are coming from. The AI to me is an outlet, meaning I can start a game save it, come back later if a family matter crops up and restore the game. It allows me to play when I want to play.

I personally feel you are right about we may not see a real breakthrough on AI's happening soon for us wargamers, agreed. But I see problems here for players who have gotten married and their time is allocated differently then when they were single.

When do they play and if they do is the wife happy about you playing for hours upon hours when she would like for you to do other things, not being smart just practical that's all. Hopefully Steve can allot time to do a decent AI I know I would appreciate it.

I checked all the companies, Matrix, Slitherine, Paradox, Battlefront, and every game has an AI, good bad or indifferent. So programmers think maybe that an AI is a must. Most of these authors of games to the best of my knowledge are teams. Whether good or bad Matrix did not go in that direction to program this game.

No criticism intended, it is what it is, it is the road they chose, it is their company and they have the right to pick any path they want to. I just wished they had chosen a different path for the AI[:(]

Bo
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Bo, I would say the best way for the AI to cheat would be on having favorable die rolls. If the scale was 1 least cheat, to 5 most cheat...a 5 would be favorable (to the AI) weather and turn end die rolls plus any positive results on any die roll you can make in WiF...a 4 would be the same minus the positive turn end/weather die rolls. A 1 would be maybe just one favorable die roll result...ie...combat (naval or land randomly to keep it interesting).
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
bo

Post by bo »

Bo, I would say the best way for the AI to cheat would be on having favorable die rolls. If the scale was 1 least cheat, to 5 most cheat...a 5 would be favorable (to the AI) weather and turn end die rolls plus any positive results on any die roll you can make in WiF...a 4 would be the same minus the positive turn end/weather die rolls. A 1 would be maybe just one favorable die roll result...ie...combat (naval or land randomly to keep it interesting).

Thank you never thought of that, but if that is the case I do not see any problem with it as we know us humans can defeat any AI cheating or not[;)]

I am glad you explained that to me as this must be what is happening to me in 3rd Reich lately [:D] Man is that program cheating [:(]

I think I am just rusty though have not played it for about 5 years we shall see.

Bo
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: bo

Thank you never thought of that, but if that is the case I do not see any problem with it as we know us humans can defeat any AI cheating or not[;)]

I am glad you explained that to me as this must be what is happening to me in 3rd Reich lately [:D] Man is that program cheating [:(]

I think I am just rusty though have not played it for about 5 years we shall see.

Bo

I haven't played that game in 20 years... But it's a nice beer and pretzels game, compared to WiF...
Peter
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

I've yet to find a strategy game with a good AI (as per that acts sensibly), and not an AI that needs extra production or other tricks to be somehow competitive (and usually still screw up with movements and operations).

Hence I do not feel for a grand strategy game an AI worth the effort. As I am sceptical any new player of a strategy game would buy this product as the one to lose his strategy-virginity with, I am confident all of the players who buy MWiF would grasp the basic mechanics of the game, and they can work in solo from there as the game enforces most of the rules.

But for what the OP said, I've windows 8.1 and the game runs smoothly with no problem!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I would be in favour of the AI "cheating" by always getting the best available unit.

So for example if it is a fighter that is decided is required by the AI, then the unit "chosen" is automatically that with the best A2A rating. Of course what is "best" may not always be known e.g. do you need range too? Perhaps the grognards could come up with an order - best to last - that could be used.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

I want an AI as challenging or better than the AI that I scripted myself for my Advanced Third Reich mod using Strategic Command 2 Global Conflict. At this point I'm wondering if Steve will get Fascist Tide with AI working first, or if I will be able to update my mod for SC3 first.

As for cheating, there are difficulty levels and other bonuses needed to compensate for AI weaknesses. No AI, or human opponent for that matter, is perfect. I would characterize the Strategic Command series AI as challenging. It is possible to have a challenging AI, which really bothers some folks but they'll get over it. I am optimistic that Steve will eventually implement a challenging AI computer opponent for MWifF, despite the naysayers. We shall see.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Cohen
I've yet to find a strategy game with a good AI (as per that acts sensibly), and not an AI that needs extra production or other tricks to be somehow competitive (and usually still screw up with movements and operations).

Hence I do not feel for a grand strategy game an AI worth the effort. As I am sceptical any new player of a strategy game would buy this product as the one to lose his strategy-virginity with, I am confident all of the players who buy MWiF would grasp the basic mechanics of the game, and they can work in solo from there as the game enforces most of the rules.

But for what the OP said, I've windows 8.1 and the game runs smoothly with no problem!

Comments on AI have kicked around forever and Yes, an AI is never going to be as inventive as a human opponent, but AI can be much more historical and avoid so many of the balance issues which keep appearing in these games.

If you give the Soviet Union an accurate OOB (10,000s of AFV) and any standard of command and control which a human player would expect, then they become unbeatable. Then you have to fudge and twist the rules to keep some balance. No human player would be prepared to suffer the historical level of command and control that the Soviets had in the early years, but an AI will.

As for sensible behaviour, the historical record is full of not so sensible strategies used by, or forced on, actual commanders. The AI will simulate this, as how sensible were the Allies in 1940, the Axis at Stalingrad and many more.

In a gaming world of 20/20 hindsight, I am happy to have some uncertainty thrown in, however it comes, whether cheats, difficulty levels, etc., but an AI can be programmed to provide those WTF moments that real warfare has in abundance. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
cfc20045

Post by cfc20045 »

I can't personally see a full blown AI working,however I'm happy to be proved wrong and would dearly love to see a full AI incorporated into MWIF. I would also settle for a less complete AI that could compliment the Solo player, by this I mean:

* Automate the setup of Units at the start of the game i.e. you could choose countries where the AI would decide the setup at the start of the scenario. Would speed things up and provide some variety.

* AI could play attacked minors i.e. Poland, Holland, Belgium, Denmmark, Portugal etc... and to the benefit of the minor and not the aligned major power. Never happy with the concept of players flying the Polish airforce straight out of the country at the first opportunity, rather than fighting to preserve they freedom to the bitter end.

* I'm sure it should be reasonably straightforward to add AI for China possibly Russia,

* And one for less AI, an option to turn off the automated routing of the resources so that you can manually setup the convoy routes.
“My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack.”

~ Ferdinand Foch

Return to “World in Flames”