Freedom of Speech

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

RE: Freedom of Speech

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

warspite1,

Lets start this off with lets agree to disagree in the spirit of freedom to choose.[:)]

You choose to believe why the thread was locked. I don't believe it.
Please don't make this into a convert me to your point of view. I won't play that.

My only intention was to voice an opinion from my point of view. It may resonate with some. Not with you or others.

Its okay.

Lets get on with setting up a game of MWiF on Teamviewer and doing an AAR for the few who look forward to that sort of thing.

The fact we are not really on topics about MWiF makes them boring and non-constructive. [:-]

Your honored axis or allied opponent in waiting,
WarHunter

warspite1

Lets start this off with lets agree to disagree in the spirit of freedom to choose.[:)]

You choose to believe why the thread was locked. I don't believe it.
Please don't make this into a convert me to your point of view. I won't play that.

Agree to disagree no problemo. Me trying to convert you to my way of thinking? Nope. What I did say though was you don't have to take my word for it. New thread, same conversation, same topics (just no name calling). If it gets locked you are right, if not then I am. Simples. [:)]
The fact we are not really on topics about MWiF makes them boring and non-constructive.

100% agree. We are back to sad, sad, sad. This sloblocks is being discussed because of where the game is (or isn't) and the few people who even bother posting anymore.
Your honored axis or allied opponent in waiting,

Happy to play a game except there is one problem. I have 4 AAR with Ormster outstanding and quite frankly (and sadly) my motivation and enthusiasm is sorely lacking [&:] This happens from time to time. I am sure I will recover - maybe Erik will have good news in 2 weeks??
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

no such thing apart from in your mind as freedom of speech anyway (post not a reply to anyone either), i don't own the game, and aren't here to flame anyone, but a forum is for all it's members, sometimes those in charge / command need to call a choice one way or another, while some agree others don't, this is life, life isn't and never has been fair, your parents all lied to you, some times it's better to move on and forget about the past and what has and hasn't been said and take the higher road, the one that leads to know where and move on.

i offend as often as i help, but don't mean to, it's just a word taken out of context that once typed can't be taken back once read, that's life, we all make them *(mistakes that is), but some of us don't learn by them and carry on making the same ones over and over again.

i've been a moderator on a number of forums for years, and now don't do any for many reasons, the main one is everyone thinks they are right all or most of the time, when in fact they are wrong, to admit your wrong is a step to enlightenment and tbh i'm always wrong so must be ready for nirvana now.

why post this, why not.

You have more posts than I do so by the rules installed by Matrix I have to hold my tongue and be nice to you [:D]

My parents did lie to me but how did you know that [&:]

Bo
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi bo,

I don't understand your point either and this kind of stuff gets fairly close to trolling. The other thread was only locked because it seemed to be getting personal between posters. Locking a thread does not remove its content and I have not issued any kind of warning about what can or can't be discussed, other than staying within the forum rules. In addition, I then posted replies that covered the more relevant parts of the thread in other threads, which hopefully answered the original poster's question and those of others there.

If I missed responding to a question, please post it again and I'll reply.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi bo,

I don't understand your point either and this kind of stuff gets fairly close to trolling. The other thread was only locked because it seemed to be getting personal between posters. Locking a thread does not remove its content and I have not issued any kind of warning about what can or can't be discussed, other than staying within the forum rules. In addition, I then posted replies that covered the more relevant parts of the thread in other threads, which hopefully answered the original poster's question and those of others there.

Regards,

- Erik

I personally did not see these other posts about your relevant issues of the post, I just felt that to close a post over two posters squabbling over something when other posts prior to this were actually vicious was not needed, nastiness in some posts have been going on for a year which I agree does not help the situation around here.

Trolling is a word sometimes used here when people do not agree with other people and beings you have responsibilities here for keeping the peace I will refrain from now on saying anything that even seems like trolling. Waiting anxiously and quietly for your report on the state of MWIF. I stand corrected.

Bo
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

The thread was closed because Warspite was trolling. Free speech is all well and good, until a bad apple comes along and spoils the whole bunch. I'm happy to say my own exemplary attitude has not in any way been tainted by the actions of reprobates and scoundrels. More threads should be closed, in fact.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

The thread was closed because Warspite was trolling. Free speech is all well and good, until a bad apple comes along and spoils the whole bunch. I'm happy to say my own exemplary attitude has not in any way been tainted by the actions of reprobates and scoundrels. More threads should be closed, in fact.
warspite1

+1

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: bo

no such thing apart from in your mind as freedom of speech anyway (post not a reply to anyone either), i don't own the game, and aren't here to flame anyone, but a forum is for all it's members, sometimes those in charge / command need to call a choice one way or another, while some agree others don't, this is life, life isn't and never has been fair, your parents all lied to you, some times it's better to move on and forget about the past and what has and hasn't been said and take the higher road, the one that leads to know where and move on.

i offend as often as i help, but don't mean to, it's just a word taken out of context that once typed can't be taken back once read, that's life, we all make them *(mistakes that is), but some of us don't learn by them and carry on making the same ones over and over again.

i've been a moderator on a number of forums for years, and now don't do any for many reasons, the main one is everyone thinks they are right all or most of the time, when in fact they are wrong, to admit your wrong is a step to enlightenment and tbh i'm always wrong so must be ready for nirvana now.

why post this, why not.

You have more posts than I do so by the rules installed by Matrix I have to hold my tongue and be nice to you [:D]

Bo

can you link me to that rules please, ty (as it's a silly one and never heard of it before either)

and i try and be nice to everyone, regardless of post counts, but someone is always offended by some remark or other so it's not always easy to get it right all the time, post count only means either a user has more free time, or doesn't mind how they use there free time or wastes it, or just spams a lot, i fit into all 3 sections[:D][;)]

i'm old and daft, not too old, but very daft[8|]and have also been told not to long ago i stir things up, something i must do without knowing it or wanting to happen, i just seem to have a opinion on everything, and mostly the wrong one it seems[:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bo

why post this, why not.

Bo

can you link me to that rules please, ty (as it's a silly one and never heard of it before either)

and i try and be nice to everyone, regardless of post counts, but someone is always offended by some remark or other so it's not always easy to get it right all the time, post count only means either a user has more free time, or doesn't mind how they use there free time or wastes it, or just spams a lot, i fit into all 3 sections[:D][;)]

i'm old and daft, not too old, but very daft[8|]and have also been told not to long ago i stir things up, something i must do without knowing it or wanting to happen, i just seem to have a opinion on everything, and mostly the wrong one it seems[:(]
warspite1

zakblood the rule is this:

Rule 37(b) sub-section (a) (iii):

All members of the forum shall show, at all times, the utmost deference and respect to any member that has more posts than he/she.

Furthermore, if a member has more than 23,000 posts (Senior Member) to his/her name, said member is entitled to receive payment of £5 from any lower post-count-member (Junior Member), on each and every occasion that the Junior Member submits a post on a thread started by the Senior Member. This payment is reduced to £2.50 if the Senior Member has not begun the thread but has merely posted on it.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

lol[:D][;)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thank-you - that's 3 x £2.50 = £7.50 [8D]

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

do you take card?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

do you take card?
warspite1

I do but there is a handling fee of £2.50 so its up to you.

[sits back, a malevolent smile creeps across the handsome, chiselled features of warspite1 as he twirls his moustache]

warspite1

Hee hee, the old rule 37 trick, oldest trick in the book. This time next year I'll be a millionaire!! Mwahahahahahaha

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well when i said card, i forgot to mention board[:D][;)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Rats! Foiled again.......

joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

In addition, I then posted replies that covered the more relevant parts of the thread in other threads, which hopefully answered the original poster's question and those of others there.

Regards,

- Erik

Actually I posted a whole list of questions that were germane to the thread shortly before it was closed. None have been answered.

As to closing the thread, I'm sure the reason this thread got closed while other threads that contain just as many insults between posters remain open is that the thread in question was directed toward a Matrix representative, ensuring that it was read by him. That the other threads weren't shut down has more to do with the fact that nobody at Matrix really gives a #$@$ about MWIF so those threads just never got noticed.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

As to closing the thread, I'm sure the reason this thread got closed while other threads that contain just as many insults between posters remain open is that the thread in question was directed toward a Matrix representative, ensuring that it was read by him. That the other threads weren't shut down has more to do with the fact that nobody at Matrix really gives a #$@$ about MWIF so those threads just never got noticed.
I disagree 100% with that statement. I'm a mod, not active anymore, on the Slitherine Commander Europe at War forum. I believe Slitherine owns Matrix now (or maybe it's reverse). But it's the same compan, same philosophy and same management. As a forum mod, the direction I was given by their "senior management" was to let things go as long as it didn't get too nasty or personal. There were times, maybe once a year, where I'd lock a thread because, in my opinion, it had degenerated to that point. That wasn't very often really but as a mod I didn't tolerate personal attacks. I would "nicely" warn folks first but if it continued I would shut the thread down (i.e., lock it). And believe me, I was more "intolerant" over personal attacks against others than any directed at me.

Another thing, and maybe I'm too old school or just old, I would allow discussion and cruse words at the PG-13 level or lower. If someone "violated" that I was edit their post to change the "offending" word to something like "#$%#@", usually it was the f-word. I would then gently warn the user to watch their language.

So I have to say my moderating style, though I felt was open, is much more restrictive than I see going on here. So I respectable disagree with those posters that feel Matrix is trying to stifle free speech. In my opinion, they've been generous in what they've allowed and I respect that. And I do respect those that disagree with me. Ain't free speech great!

With respect to the comment and implication that no one with Matrix is reading all threads. I disagree with that too. I bet Steve does because occasionally he'll respond to some question or request that frankly I though was in one of those threads he wouldn't be following because he has more "important" things on his plate to take care of than following such a thread. But I gather, he is keenly interested in keeping track how things are going gamewise. All of this by the way is conjuncture on my part and probably have less information on this than most of you here.
Ronnie
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I recently read a succinct summary of Freedom of Speech and it's far, far, more important application to the world today and incitements to violence. The US Government is limited by the Constitution in possible limiting of Freedom of Speech in public. A media company, even an American one and let alone a global one, has no such restriction and is thus not prohibited from keeping people from using a privately funded media platform to say things like "Kill __________"

I think Twitter and many other platforms (YouTube) will increasingly realize the drawbacks of unlimited Free Speech.

Incitement to violence, like we read somebody's post and because of that we go burn somebody...[:-]

You people are calling for:

it would seen daddy and mummy are needed so people don't piss on themselves. Having their own responsibility, wow, no! That's terrible, people would be Free! My God!

Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

why post this, why not.

Yes, although this very defect is even more frequent in the Moderators, [:D] They use to have God complex... They can be extremely enlightened.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

The frying pan told the pot: "go away,you are tarnishing me" [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla
Actually I posted a whole list of questions that were germane to the thread shortly before it was closed. None have been answered.

If they have not been answered and I can answer them, I will. Can you point me to the ones you would like answered and I'll see if I can help?

On your second point, I'm afraid you are entirely off-base.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “World in Flames”