Reality check

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Rosseau

Reality check

Post by Rosseau »

My first game ever (Lebensraum, solitaire, Jan/Feb 1942). I'm not sure if my experience jives with WiF community reality [;)]

1. The best East Front computer land game I have played in 30 years. However, very challenging for Germany. I am no where near Moscow despite "favoring" Germany in my role playing.

2. The naval game so far has been the most difficult and tedious. However, I expect that may change as Japan takes on MacArthur. My feeble plan is to build up a defense ring rather than go all out for Pearl.

3. Seeing up to 10-sec delays and screen redraws after most unit moves. I can deal with it.

4. The game only crashes maybe once in several hours.

5. And the combat dice can really make or break you [:D]

brian brian

RE: Reality check

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

My first game ever (Lebensraum, solitaire, Jan/Feb 1942). I'm not sure if my experience jives with WiF community reality [;)]

1. The best East Front computer land game I have played in 30 years. However, very challenging for Germany. I am no where near Moscow despite "favoring" Germany in my role playing.

you'll pick up on offense as you pick up the fine detail in the land combat system

2. The naval game so far has been the most difficult and tedious. However, I expect that may change as Japan takes on MacArthur. My feeble plan is to build up a defense ring rather than go all out for Pearl.

that's not a bad strategy for Japan at all. grab the perimeter first, then reduce any Allied hold-outs in the interior while they are out of supply (hint: use a few CVs and TRS on an air impulse until you finally dis-organize the starving defenders), then hold on to your two core sea areas as long as you can

3. Seeing up to 10-sec delays and screen redraws after most unit moves. I can deal with it.

this would drive me completely insane

4. The game only crashes maybe once in several hours.

5. And the combat dice can really make or break you [:D]

wait till the turn ends on the earliest possible impulse in the summer in the Ukraine

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thank you. Also have Japanese transports (and SCS rule in effect), HQ and infantry in Hong Kong. I load up the infantry and it allows me to place the unit next to the Phillipines landmass. But the ship doesn't move there visibly and I never get a chance to unload.

Do I need to be in a certain naval section to accomplish an invasion (amphib rule is off)?

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You need to load the unit, then move the TRS into the adjacent sea zone with a naval move. There are combat penalties if you aren't in at least the '3' box in fine weather, higher for rain. Can't be done in Storm, Snow or Blizzard. During an impulse allowing land movement (a Combined with land moves left, or a Land) there will be an invasion step after the land movement step. That's when you make the invasion.
Paul
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks Paul. That was my thinking, but will try it again. We're from NE Ohio and had a few trips to Canada. We find the further north we go, the more beautiful it is (in summer). Almost got to that North Pole train ride, but ran out of driving time [:D]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

It's gotta be a bug, Paul. My invasion fleet appears in the units-in-hex view box in Lingayen Gulf but not on-screen, and no opp to attack. I will try an invasion across the Channel by Brits next.

Let me know if and how to post bug report if you agree it's not WAD.

Thanks!!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Well it does sound odd. Just zip the game save and load it as part of a post. You can't use quick reply at the bottom of the forum page, you need to use the reply button in the top right of the last post in a thread. Then the embed picture in post will show at the bottom left of your reply. Check the box and click to its left where it says: "Click here to upload" and from there you can navigate to where your zipped save game is, and select it.
Paul
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks Paul. I will post to Tech Support with a dropbox link. On the positive side, no crashes in like 10 hours of play.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

My "Reality Check" is hammering me with the new RAW version being tested and written, and having a product that will remain behind in terms of rules / balance.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

It's gotta be a bug, Paul. My invasion fleet appears in the units-in-hex view box in Lingayen Gulf but not on-screen, and no opp to attack. I will try an invasion across the Channel by Brits next.

Let me know if and how to post bug report if you agree it's not WAD.

Thanks!!
The answer to this question was provided by CAD in another thread. The invading units cannot be in the zero section box. They have to be in sections 1, 2,3 or 4 to be eligible to invade.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, sorry to post such an idiotic question. FWIW, I am praising MWIF to all I know.

EDIT: Invasions working fine now. What a noob [8|]

Return to “World in Flames”