1.08: Giving the Mig-21 A Fighting Chance in CMANO

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikmykWS

1.08: Giving the Mig-21 A Fighting Chance in CMANO

Post by mikmykWS »

hellfish6

RE: 1.08: Giving the Mig-21 A Fighting Chance in CMANO

Post by hellfish6 »

Cool. Thanks!
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Interesting take, what if the MiG21's could Shoot a Amaramski type missle? Say Adder's? Did not one of the East European Air Forces have the Israeli's update their 21's? I seem to remember I had a nasty shock when I ran into them, not one but MANY of them.
But By Grace Go I.......
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

India ran their MiG-21 Bison, as I recall. Didn't last very long in service, though.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Romania upgraded their MiG-21s, though I can't remember what set them apart. The Indian Bisons were upgraded by Israel, right?
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Thanks, very usefull
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

The Romanian Lancers have westernized avionics (Israel) but don't have any long-range AAMs. The Indian Bison's were primarily upgraded by Russia.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Ah still food for thought eh? Especially if only needed in 20 miles. Heck the missile would cost more than the plane.
But By Grace Go I.......
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah Indian's Mig-21's were upgraded with Adder's and probably more critically radar capable of seeing something at a range that make the Adder's useful. Did some research and think Uganda or somewhere like that got 6 of these aircraft as well although probably replaced by Sukhoi's.

Still need to implement the Romanian Lancer but we've collected a good amount of detail on it.
The Lancer fleet now constitutes the backbone of the Romanian Air Force, performing air defense, close air support and training roles. The aircraft can carry both Eastern and western armament, and perform extremely accurate attacks with both “iron bombs” and precision guided weapons. Lancer is cleared for missiles such as the R60, R73 and Python 3 missiles, 250 and 500 lb bombs, laser guided munitions, targeting, ECM and Reconnaissance pods etc. The Lancer has demonstrated a circular error point (CEP) accuracy of 7 mil/radian and below, while maintaining 1-2meter CEP with laser guided weapons. The aircraft is also cleared for asymmetric loading of weapons, which provides a more flexible and economical use of weapons. Among the 110 aircraft, 85 are configured for ground attack, equipped with a ranging radar, while 25 are air defense variants, using the Elta EL/M-2032 air combat radar.

Better radar and better short range missiles. Nothing though that would make it a good match.

Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

I seem to remember reading in a flight sim tactics manual somewhere about useful tactics for older generation fighters in a modern environment. Using a ridge a very low altitude to screen the Migs from enemy radar, they wait for enemy aircraft to get nearly overhead and then zoom climb, firing useful IR guiding AA missiles like the Archer or Python series. I haven't tried this is command yet but now that it's on my mind it's going to happen, lmao. Of course, if your adversary is also at low altitude you may not know where they are until their come out from behind terrain that blocks LOS. Still, this is better for a Mig driver then a BVR fight. Interesting to think of ways to use older aircraft to any effect in a modern air war.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Sakai007

I seem to remember reading in a flight sim tactics manual somewhere about useful tactics for older generation fighters in a modern environment. Using a ridge a very low altitude to screen the Migs from enemy radar, they wait for enemy aircraft to get nearly overhead and then zoom climb, firing useful IR guiding AA missiles like the Archer or Python series. I haven't tried this is command yet but now that it's on my mind it's going to happen, lmao. Of course, if your adversary is also at low altitude you may not know where they are until their come out from behind terrain that blocks LOS. Still, this is better for a Mig driver then a BVR fight. Interesting to think of ways to use older aircraft to any effect in a modern air war.

Low level masking is somewhat helpful but also mitigated by modern LD/SD radars to a good degree.
DrRansom

Post by DrRansom »

Another tactic for scenario designers is to put older fighters on dispersed airstrips which aren't immediately visible to the player. That creates a minefield of fighters and requires a systematic air campaign.
MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

The speaker in this video has, among other things, a few interesting things to say about the Mig-21 bison at 4:40 in part 1 and at the end of part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKBi66g6nOA
Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Very neat videos...that Bison is a threat.
But By Grace Go I.......

Return to “The War Room”