Fleet Policy and saved games

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Ruger01

Fleet Policy and saved games

Post by Ruger01 »

I am playing the Star Trek mod and each time I load a saved game after say a restart or something. The fleet controls go back to automatic and I have a huge number of fleets to remove. How do I stop the fleet policy from changing back to fully auto?
Ruger01

RE: Fleet Policy and saved games

Post by Ruger01 »

Actually it looks like a number of policy settings revert back as well as the autosave function.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Weird, I have never seen that happen. I have never tried that mod, but I doubt it is mod related.

What I have also not done, is saving and loading my policy settings. Maybe there is something "default" or similar there? Like, you have saved something to use as default?
RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

Did you check that your fleet preferences are set to "manual" on both the Options screen and the Empire policy screen?
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
Ruger01

Post by Ruger01 »

I did not and they were not. Thank you. Seems strange that you have to make these kind of setting changes in 2 places.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I have never noticed options and policies being out of synch. That sounds like a bug.

The reason why there are two spots, is of course that the policy screen arrived with an expansion. It was probably in Return of the Shakturi. So there is the original settings (options), and the improved settings (policies screen). And they overlap.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

This may not even be the problem, but, do you the the new ships are Automated button checked or unchecked. Also, when you change a setting, make sure you save your settings before you apply them. I play and test the StarTrek mods daily and haven't come across this issue. So check these things and post here or PM me....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

I see the fleet policies not being followed at all.. often too..

1. I play pirate play and i set a fleet to "engage only nearby" or "engage when attacked" .. and then I set to "homebase only" or "attack target only"...

and all I get is once I click to attack 1 enemy in a system, they go off and start attacking all enemies/mines in the system! i just want them to only attack the 1 mine/station and then stop and wait!

2. Whether I automate or not, the fleets don't repair themselves! they just get attacked and damaged and then they don't repair until I manually hit repair!

3. My fleets sometimes go off and chase enemies completely out of the system and into another system where they get obliterated.. I want my fleets whether they are automated or not to just stay in one system and defend!

I know some of you also must be experiencing this..
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

2. Whether I automate or not, the fleets don't repair themselves! they just get attacked and damaged and then they don't repair until I manually hit repair!
AFAIK, the AI doesn't actually use the Repair at Nearest function for fleets. Instead, it detaches any damaged-need-repairs ships from fleets. Those ships individually realize they are damaged, then report to the nearest shipyard for repairs. Once repaired, they are put back in the general pool and can get picked back up by the fleet assignment AI.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

I don't have fleet automation on in the empire settings ..

When I automate fleets I only press "A" on the keyboard,

I think if I turn on fleet automation in the empire settings, it will take my fleets from me
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

What will turning on Fleet formation actually do anyway? If I make a fleet manually will it just override that and disperse them?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Fleet formation is the job of assigning ships to fleets. If you turn it on you will probably see the AI reshuffle your fleets from scratch according to the settings in the empire policy screen.

It is also quite possible that fleet stances (home base, defensive, attacking, range) follows this automation setting. And some other related stuff may as well.

This is probably one area where a mix of manual and automatic setting don't mix well.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

Ok thanks Bingeling,

So then it sounds like I can attempt to set my policies in the policies menu to something close to what I want

but turning fleet automation on in the empire menu sounds like it will make that fleet I manually created to defend my homeworld disperse.. so yeah i guess i will try a game with fleet automation on.. but we will see how well the AI takes care of my systems!

I do still have the issue of my fleets chasing off enemies and completely leaving the system sometimes and then staying out of the system.. i just want them to stay in the system and defend..

I have them set to defend,System Targets, System only... and selected a homebase in the system..
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

If you turn on automated fleet formation, the computer gets to form and disperse fleets as it sees fit, though I think manually-controlled ships and fleets might be safe from the computer's interference (I'm not sure since I don't like enabling fleet formation automation; if I create a fleet, assign it a home and defensive posture, and automate the fleet, I want it to stay put, and it probably will not do so with fleet formation automated). The computer will also be able to set fleet home bases, postures, and attack targets. If you want to assign a fleet to defend your homeworld, turning on automatic fleet formation is about the worst thing you can do; any fleets you create can and probably will be dispersed or reassigned by the computer.

If you want to play with fleet postures, what you want to do is turn off automated fleet formation and instead automate individual fleets once you've assigned each fleet a posture, a home base, a range, and, if appropriate, an attack target.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”