Air defence of Polesti

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Stokie

Air defence of Polesti

Post by Stokie »

Hi All,

What am I doing wrong !? I have 100 Me109 JG77 and 6 Rumanian Fighter Sqn's in Polesti in and around the city
but none fly intercept missions what am I doing wrong. (the AB are in the direct bath from the planes bombing
from the Crimea.) My opponent is bombing it to death !

Air setting are at Fighter intercept = 300 % to fly 10%

Have turns saved and screen shots (cannot seem to load screen shots!!)?

Thanks
Stokie

karonagames

RE: Air defence of Polesti

Post by karonagames »

He may be bombing at night which is what I usually do as the Sovs, so you need your night fighters set up. I don't think you have many at the beginning of the game.
It's only a Game

Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

He may be bombing at night which is what I usually do as the Sovs, so you need your night fighters set up. I don't think you have many at the beginning of the game.

Its a none factor he is wasting his time, even WitW = oil non factor.

If hes stupid enough to bomb it let him

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Stokie

Post by Stokie »

Thanks for both the Answers yes he was bombing by night, switched one fighter /JG to night fighter mode and this bought down some planes. But interesting to know that bombing Polesti has no long term effect. This leads me to ask does bombing any Industry have any effect ?

Thanks
Stokie
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Stokie

Thanks for both the Answers yes he was bombing by night, switched one fighter /JG to night fighter mode and this bought down some planes. But interesting to know that bombing Polesti has no long term effect. This leads me to ask does bombing any Industry have any effect ?

Thanks
Stokie

To your direct question. No and that in the context of the Soviet-German struggle makes sense.

The Germans did bomb Moscow and Leningrad repeatedly, but for political reasons as much as anything else. Once the Caucasus wing of their 1942 offensive stalled, they bombed out all the oil production facilities in Grozny.

The Soviets started out with a doctrine that included strat bombing - one of the first acts of the VVS was a night bombing raid on Berlin (I think they hit the right city). They did more night raids from 1944 onwards but as with the German attacks on Moscow/Leningrad I think this was largely political. The Soviets were alert to the potential to bomb Ploesti and certainly planned it. The problem was their hold on the Crimea was marginal in the early stages of 1942 and not really re-established till 1944. At that stage the Americans were hitting Ploesti from Italy and I suspect wouldn't have welcomed Il-4s (or LL B-25s) getting in the way.

Now as a Soviet player I do bomb Ploesti (and one of these games I am going to bomb Berlin on T2). Mainly because as the Soviet player in most of 1941 you are getting kicked around and its rather pleasing to lash back - however minimally. Pelton is known for his views on the importance of morale, well player morale counts too and being the active player even in a minimal way is good for my morale ...[;)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”