BAB v1.06Beta available for testing

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Gerry Edwards

BAB v1.06Beta available for testing

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone

Our newest Brother against Brother patch is available for testing here. Below is the change list for this update.

V1.06Beta – June 5. 2015
-Added new counter art.  Special thanks to Richard Evans.
-Fixed bug in PBEM++ interface
-Added safeguards to PBEM file operations to help prevent errors due to abnormal terminations
-Increased the refresh time in PBEM main dialog
-Added additional calls to Windows message queue management to try to minimize "unresponsive application" errors

Cheers,
Gerry
Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
zakblood

RE: BAB v1.06Beta available for testing

Post by zakblood »

thanks, downloaded
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I really like the look of the new Union counters, particularly how they almost look like the Nato icon is stitched on. It's a big improvement to the overall aesthetic of the game--- so much so in fact I'd recommend changing any screenshots with counters on the store page.

All that said, is it intentional that there is no change to the Confederate counters? Or perhaps were they just not uploaded with the patch?
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

I'm on it. Thanks. :)
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: map66
All that said, is it intentional that there is no change to the Confederate counters? Or perhaps were they just not uploaded with the patch?

I wonder if we forgot to re-name them for the public beta. Take a look in your gfx/hexwar sub-folder and if you see a concounters.pcx use it to overwrite the csacounters.pcx

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

I don't see that concounters.pcx file in that folder
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

1, you won't see it as it's not in there and has been left out by mistake

but unless he means CsaCounters etc?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (39.54 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Radagy

Post by Radagy »

Sorry, no such a file right now.
Anyway this patch wa a huge leap toward a game with decent graphics.
I have high expectation in regard of better appearance and UI improvements in the future.
The more I play BaB, the more I love this game's historical accuracy and mechanics. Nevertheless it definitely deserves more polishing.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I'm not sure how it came to be that the CSA counters were omitted, but I shall post the file here ASAP.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Thanks Eric. I'm looking forward to seeing the Confederate counters--- the union ones are a huge improvement.

On that note, is there any chance there can be a fix in the next beta so that the zoom out during combat setting will be saved when one exits the game? I imagine it's just adding a line to the .ini file, so a 30 second thing... But as the game starts to look better and better, I more and more want my PBEM games to show the combat resolution at the "normal" zoom setting, which is not possible now with out starting a game against the AI first to switch the setting.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Here are the CSA counters. Unzip and put the .pcx file in Gfx\Hexwar.
Attachments
CsaCounters.zip
(114.17 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

On that note, is there any chance there can be a fix in the next beta so that the zoom out during combat setting will be saved when one exits the game? I imagine it's just adding a line to the .ini file, so a 30 second thing... But as the game starts to look better and better, I more and more want my PBEM games to show the combat resolution at the "normal" zoom setting, which is not possible now with out starting a game against the AI first to switch the setting.

I'll put that on my short list. It is a pretty easy change to make.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Thanks, and new Confederate counters look great as well. It seems like the small tweaks made to the echelon symbols make them easier to read as well.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I just applied the 1.06Beta along with the CSAcounter file, and I have to say I really like the the new counters. I play almost exclusively using the nato chits and the new counters give a very nice 'solid' look to the counter.

Thanks for incorporating these!

Rick
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

+1

Thanks!
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”