Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Noldofinwe

RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

Post by Noldofinwe »

Chop them up in multiple smaller focused ones, perhaps even add a very basic one about movement and how to find stuff in the interface. Also use smaller amounts of text, and perhaps its better to have more but smaller and focused message pop-ups.

Thats just my 2 cents as a new player, I love the depth and details, but sometimes I'm not sure what to do :)
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Or maybe just have a .pdf type of pop up that explains the basics before it launches? I honestly liked the difficulty of the air tutorial, it made me learn things.... and played it over and over trying to beat it, which of course made me learn MORE things. :)
CV60

Post by CV60 »

One of the reasons I did my AAR
tm.asp?m=3740101
was to help illustrate how put together an operation using aircraft and surface units. Is something like this battle study helpful to new players? I could do more, although to do it with the existing scenarios gives away some of the scenario surprises for players.
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
Noldofinwe

Post by Noldofinwe »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, butbut this is a good example.
Cv60, your AAR is great for intermediate players but 9 out of 10 completely new players would have no idea what they just read. No offence meant :) its just half off the text is acronyms that most people have never heard off. I still have to look upup every time if ASuW or ASW is against submarines or surface objects. That's what I meant with easing new people into it, otherwise you'll probably scare them off instead of hooking them in. Its great to learn new stuff,but you need some kind of context. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the game itself different, I just think you could get more people hooked, if there was a friendlier introduction.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It was and continues to be stated several times...but bears repeating...

This a game that you have to make the effort to have some background on naval warfare. There are threads on reading that helps. There are tons of videos with playing examples. But some of the basics are on the player.
CV60

Post by CV60 »

No offense taken. I always welcome constructive criticism such as yours. You raise some good points. In the back of my mind has been to do a series of scenarios to illustrate concepts in Hughes' FLEET TACTICS and Vego's SOVIET NAVAL TACTICS books. But they would be for more intermediate-level players.
Cv60, your AAR is great for intermediate players but 9 out of 10 completely new players would have no idea what they just read. No offence meant :)
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
22sec

Post by 22sec »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Haven't looked at it in years but it may be applicable. It's not written about our game or models though so just for the high level stuff.

I think Harpoon 4 is a great game but the amount of computations to complete a turn are cumbersome and not really attractive to new board gamers. I would suggest the NWS games instead. They get it[:)]

Mike

In case anyone that owns any of the MNC games didn't know, I completed a VASSAL mod back in April.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/ ... -downloads
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
Galahad78

Post by Galahad78 »

Just wanted to thank the OP for this fantastic initiative! [&o][&o]
daft

Post by daft »

Well, I'm a developer looking for a project for my off hours... And I bet there are quite a few more like me on here. :)
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Good stuff and reading here.....thx
But By Grace Go I.......
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: Noldofinwe

I would also want to add that as a new player the game is quite difficult to get into. There are 3 tutorial missions, and I know some scenario's are more manageable than others, but something that would help to get into the game would be a string of scenarios or a campaign if you will that teaches the gameplay and that adds context to the individual scenarios. That might also help attract new players for who the learning curve might be to steep otherwise.

Look, I'm dancing as fast as I can, okay? [:)]

tm.asp?m=3871560
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Well I got to thinking, I guess we would have to add this one to the mix...actually also a VERY good BOOK>

A history I did up a while back....was quite good at the time..

Harpoon History

Still to this day I feel blessed to actually have a hard copy of this.....[&o]

Res 502

But By Grace Go I.......
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Anyone know how to get a copy of this? I'm guessing it is out of print. Is there a .pdf available? (I actually have the Ultimate Edition Harpoon DVD...any chance it is buried in there somewhere with all the other goodies?)
ORIGINAL: JRyan

Well I got to thinking, I guess we would have to add this one to the mix...actually also a VERY good BOOK>

thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I have a copy, but hard copy.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Its not on the DVD. I tried to get some numbers etc and Larry was helpful but it just got to be a chore that was no longer worth pursuing. I will however say, if the H2 Guide is being done in PDF then I am sure this one could also but I am not sure about copyright etc.

The best way in my humble opinion is to look on eBay for a Challenger pack edition of Harpoon, it comes with it. I won mine on Bids though....

I tried to get every version before Ultimate edition came out.
But By Grace Go I.......
pandoraefretum

Post by pandoraefretum »

Well I'm not sure about copyright etc. either... I'm scanning it to convert into an ebook to take with me on holiday this Summer. Plus, I doubt anyone will have the patience to wait for and download every page I scan.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

I am not worried about it, it is LONG out of print, and will never be reprinted.
But By Grace Go I.......
TheCabal

Post by TheCabal »

Any chance the Battlebook as well as the Harpoon 2 Official Strategy Guide gets virtual?

I own the Harpoon Ultimate Edition. Lot's of manuals and I don't have a clue if the "Battlebook" and/or "Harpoon 2 Official Guide" is in them or not.
I tried looking for these two but no chance. Google is full of fake-gargabe-sites.
TheOttoman

Post by TheOttoman »

ORIGINAL: pandoraefretum

Well I'm not sure about copyright etc. either... I'm scanning it to convert into an ebook to take with me on holiday this Summer. Plus, I doubt anyone will have the patience to wait for and download every page I scan.
have you looked into http://1dollarscan.com/

They will scan the book for you and turn it into a nice searchable PDF

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”