VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

AbwehrX

VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley

Post by AbwehrX »

"In this war without a front, body count will become a measure of success."

Battle of Ia Drang Valley- 1965
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPeHqH4XxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-qZv2H1pE
The Battle of Ia Drang was the first major battle between regulars of the United States Army and regulars of the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN / NVA) of North Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The two-part battle took place between November 14 and November 18, 1965, at two landing zones (LZs) northwest of Plei Me in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam (approximately 35 miles south-west of Pleiku) as part of the U.S. airmobile offensive codenamed Operation Silver Bayonet. The battle derives its name from the Drang River which runs through the valley northwest of Plei Me, in which the engagement took place. Ia means "river" in the local Montagnard language.
Representing the American forces were elements of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division: the 1st Battalion and 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment, and the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, facing elements of the B3 Front of the PAVN (including the 304 Division) and Viet Cong. The battle involved close air support by U.S. aircraft and a strategic bombing strike by the B-52s. The initial Vietnamese assault against the landing 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry at LZ X-Ray was repulsed after two days and nights of heavy fighting on November 14–16. However, the follow-up surprise attack on November 17 that overran the marching column of 7th Cavalry 2nd Battalion near the LZ Albany was the deadliest ambush of a U.S. unit during the course of the entire war. About half of some 300 American deaths in the 35-day Operation Silver Bayonet happened in just this one fight that lasted 16 hours.[3]
The battle was documented in the CBS special report Battle of Ia Drang Valley by Morley Safer and the critically acclaimed book We Were Soldiers Once.
british exil

RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley

Post by british exil »

The film "We Were Soldiers Once" with Mel Gibson showed the battle at LZ X-Ray, the Americans being nearly overrun and the letters/telegrams of the deaths being brought home to the wives.
The Film did leave out the ambush which occurred afterwards, which was where horrific losses amounted. Reading the book just brings out how brutal the ambush was.
I felt the film did show the horrors of combat in Vietnam, especially when the air force came into help.

The book is really well worth reading.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Very well done! Thanks for the links! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Josh

Post by Josh »

Thanks for the link Abwehr, although "thanks" might not be the proper word here as I find it always sobering, hairraising even maybe, to see footage of that brutal battle.
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

you really oughta look up "Rick Rescorla" - he's the guy on the cover of the original printing of "We Were Soldiers" - and read that guy's life story.
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: british exil

The film "We Were Soldiers Once" with Mel Gibson showed the battle at LZ X-Ray, the Americans being nearly overrun and the letters/telegrams of the deaths being brought home to the wives.
The Film did leave out the ambush which occurred afterwards, which was where horrific losses amounted. Reading the book just brings out how brutal the ambush was.
I felt the film did show the horrors of combat in Vietnam, especially when the air force came into help.

The book is really well worth reading.

Mat

The film did leave out the ambush you're right but the ambush also occurred to another Battalion's not Moore's. Moore and his men were pulled out via helicopter.

Return to “General Discussion”