New Dawn

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rosbjerg

New Dawn

Post by Rosbjerg »

-Mod deleted-
Overlord015

RE: New Dawn

Post by Overlord015 »

OOohhhh~ [&o] about time someone did this kind of lore/theme (was planning to do so myself, with a different approach, but such is life), downloading as I type this. Looking forward to playing this. Btw, did you do anything to the techtree/components? If not, and if you plan to, with what kind of philosophy you plan on approaching the redesign/tweaks?
eosomeow

Post by eosomeow »

Wow looks really cool! I plan to test it out ASAP :D Downloading now.
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Btw, did you do anything to the techtree/components? If not, and if you plan to, with what kind of philosophy you plan on approaching the redesign/tweaks?

Very little, I've done modifications to speed (slowed down) and toned down the different race techs for some balance issues, added 3 new late game wonders, Galactic Senate, Secret Police HQ and Imperial Palace. Each give 50% development, so nothing new there. Just some added spice.

As for philosophy, I want the differences between races to be subtle, but manifesting themselves mid to late game. Same with governments. I really disliked the "Way of X" governments, so they are out - way too overpowered. Here every bonus is paired with a disadvantage, like in real life. But some are better than others, as it should be.

And hope you both enjoy it :)
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

I've been thinking of overhauling my government types as well. Overhauling the balance between races and governments, to try to tone it all down and make that all matter a lot less, and be more window dressing than core substance, to give a more equal, balanced playing field. I'll be curious to see how your mod (which sounds great!) plays out :)
Overlord015

Post by Overlord015 »

I've played a couple of hours, is it intentional that some races have 0% growth rate? If so, I'd reconsider, as its very, very punishing especially when there are other races with up 15% growth rates.
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

I've just run my second game through to the end and the Dravidi (the 15%s) never get that crazy. As I understand it's simply a bonus above normal, no?

For instance
'Reproduction rate: base rate of population growth. This rate is also modified by other external factors
ReproductionRate ;1.19

is a 19% bonus, but if reducing it to 1.0 means zero growth in general?.. In that case, yeah. That would be a huge problem
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

- mod deleted -
Overlord015

Post by Overlord015 »

I'm not an expert on the balance, I've only recently started messing around with this game myself. Hopefully a player more experienced with the inner workings of the game can come and chime in on this. The way I see it is that the issue here is not with the 15% races, heck in relation to vanilla balance, 15% is a pretty low rate actually. But the ones with 0%, while not going to the point of actual 0 growth, will have population growth in the decimals, and to even get a 1% (and from what I've seen 1% often equals a 1m pop growth, that is excruciatingly slow) growth rate you'd often have to drop taxes to 0. As the percentage you set often acts as the max "ceiling" of growth for said race. While it may solve the issue of players min-maxing themselves to full pop by the end of the age of shadows, it'll probably make it even harder than it already is for AI to crawl out of, and make it very hard to compete economically with 5%+ growth rate races, even for players (especially in higher difficulties).
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Looking over it, I think you're right - I did notice some races were struggling excessively with the economy and this could certainly be the reason. I thought perhaps governments (and by that I mean happiness bonuses or the lack thereof) were to blame, but I think this might be the culprit.
Lyoncet

Post by Lyoncet »

This looks great! And I'm all for mods that incorporate Icemania's AI mod! (If only we could get the higher-ups to make it baseline! [:'(])
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

This looks like a great idea. Reminds me of a cancelled soase mod I was looking forward to: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-victory

Looking forward to trying yours
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

I would love to get a hold of those ship models! *drool*

Of course I don't have the CCCP in the game, but still.
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Updated the mod. 2 races have been rewritten + several codex entries - and with several rebalances done to economics, colonization and growth. Every race is now pretty much on par with each other, but with personality differences and goals - added by adapting some of the ideas from The Extended Universe and Iceman's extended AI mod.

Future goals- write up a better backstory supported by the ingame codex, better balance as I play more. :)

Hope you enjoy - and download link is in the original post.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

this mod seem interesting, I will try it one of these days
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Outstanding work
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Thanks, let me know if you enjoy it or have some ideas, feedback, tweaks etc.
phi6

Post by phi6 »

This is awesome. Noticed you managed to merge AI, lower range and speed and extended universe mods together. I'm doing something similar myself, making sure components and research elements are merged correctly. Did you run into any problems yourself?
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

The 3 mods are actually fairly compatible, so it was just trial and error (with a lot of error) - but mostly the biggest problem was just me figuring out how to do things, it's my first mod for this game - and while it's very accessible, juggling all the numbers and edits can get a little overwhelming.

What are you making?
Emperor0Akim

Post by Emperor0Akim »

Hi there,

I found Distant Worlds just a few weeks ago and I am so happy to again have something to scratch my Space Empires itch.

I am trying out your mod right now, I have no actual feedback on the experience right now, but as native german speaker I stumbled over "die grosse entweichen". It always gives me great pleasure to laugh about really bad translations, I mean who doesn't and I guess my english sounds the same sometimes.
But enough preamble. For the sake of quality assurance

die grosse Entweichen roughly translates back to the(as female pronoun) big leakage.

if you want to use correct german :

the great exodus - der grosse Untergang ( "der" is the male pronoun, "die" female, "das" neutral )
the big escape - die grosse Flucht
the last diasporra - die letzte Ausbreitung ( which does not translate well and really sounds lame in german :)

Personally I would suggest something differen. Germans are not big on exagerating adjectives when it comes to
great historical events. The event gets named and does not need an adjectiv because it is known how big, evil or something it was. Like the Holocaust. It does not have to be enlarged.

So just use

Der Untergang - The Demise
Die Flucht - The Escape

or if you want to use three words

Die letzte Hoffnung - The last Hope.

Well this got longer than I planned.
I hope it was at least a bit helpfull :)
Constant DW2 Wishlist :
Sort build locations by Solar System
Cycle Idle Ships
ETA for Ships and Fleets
Messages for finished Ship Missions
Messages for Character Promotion ( Skills / Traits )

Return to “Design and Modding”