Do not play WitPAE while drunk!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

godochaos

Do not play WitPAE while drunk!

Post by godochaos »

I generally have a rule that I don't due my turn on Friday night when i'm getting my drink on, but my PBEM opponent and I have just been absolutely amazing at maintaining a furious pace of turns and I violated my rule in my zeal to churn out turns asap

So its early war(allies) and oh my precious I have saved up some awesome Lightnings and i'm ready to convert a squadron to Lightnings and I do. Huzzah!

The next day I look and the air unit I converted to Lightnings is gray restricted....[:@] FUGGGGGGGGGG [:@]
hey no problem I can fix this! I have 24 P-26A's saved up in the pool i will just convert the squadron to P-26a and the Lightnings will go back in the pool- nope can't do it

I realize I squandered a bunch of Lightnings. I recently got swept at PM and lost 8 aircraft to his ZERO losses(no pun intended), those lightnings would have been really wonderful there!

Tell me your favorite drunken mistake move, come on there has to be someone out there as crazy as me who made the mistake of playing WitPAE drunk![8|]
Feltan

RE: Do not play WitPAE while drunk!

Post by Feltan »

At the risk of invoking a former US President's tag line, it all depends on what you mean by being "drunk."

Falling down sloppy drunk?  No way .... you can't play WITP-AE in any condition like that.  If you are wasted away in Margaretville you should play Monopoly with a hot chick; the consequences for going bankrupt well known by both participants.

However, if you are hinting at a mental state more like a Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" .... well, I think you could argue that is the condition when you SHOULD play WITP-AE.  Assuming you know the game well, there is a certain Zen characteristic to the rhythm of turns; there is holistic top-level perspective that needs to be maintained.  As I often poke my Allied PBEM partner ... there exists a mysticism about a well executed KB strike and rapid retreat into the fog-of-war hinterlands.

Sinking an enemy carrier, any carrier, deserved a good shot or two of Scotch.  Relish and savor the moment ... it doesn't get any better.

Contemplating the next three months of operations is best done with wine glass and a good bottle of Chardonnay next to the computer.

I am sure there are some avid WITP-AE players who would heartily disagree, but this game and moderate buzz from some too expensive brand of booze go hand-in-hand.

godchaos, your issues is one of quality and quantity .... leave the gallon jugs of Mad Dog 20/20 to 3rd person shooter players ... this game deserves a bit more respect!

Regards,
Feltan
godochaos

Post by godochaos »

I think I might have been drinking Miller Lite, I'm ashamed to say it.

I just need to move to a higher quality beer and then I won't ruin the war[:D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: godochaos

I think I might have been drinking Miller Lite, I'm ashamed to say it.

I just need to move to a higher quality beer and then I won't ruin the war[:D]

As long as you were playing Beer Wizard (or Wizard Sticks? I can't remember what it's called), it's acceptable.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I can't even consider imbibing while wargaming. Totally lose focus.

I get my attitude adjustment and total focus from a different category of mind alteration.....all one need do is consider that I was a teen in the '70s to get the drift.

My old wargame buddies had a name for games we played while drinking:

"Beer and Pretzels" games.

Risk probably leads this category.
Hans

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I generally have a rule that I don't due my turn on Friday night when i'm getting my drink on, but my PBEM opponent and I have just been absolutely amazing at maintaining a furious pace of turns and I violated my rule in my zeal to churn out turns asap

So its early war(allies) and oh my precious I have saved up some awesome Lightnings and i'm ready to convert a squadron to Lightnings and I do. Huzzah!

The next day I look and the air unit I converted to Lightnings is gray restricted....[:@] FUGGGGGGGGGG [:@]
hey no problem I can fix this! I have 24 P-26A's saved up in the pool i will just convert the squadron to P-26a and the Lightnings will go back in the pool- nope can't do it

I realize I squandered a bunch of Lightnings. I recently got swept at PM and lost 8 aircraft to his ZERO losses(no pun intended), those lightnings would have been really wonderful there!

Tell me your favorite drunken mistake move, come on there has to be someone out there as crazy as me who made the mistake of playing WitPAE drunk![8|]
warspite1

I cannot play any game - unless its a true beer and crisps type game - while drinking alcohol.

The sad fact is I am crap at games anyway - without making things worse by being under the influence.

I see it as - if I play games sober I am like the German Army. I will lose eventually even if I manage to play decently for a time.

If I drink I am like the French Army 1940.

[:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

The hardest drink I do is Diet Dr. Pepper. So, I can't really blame any bad moves on being under the achifluence of ichihol. (Just say it out loud and think about it).

Although, I have seen some great play by others in traditional map and card board counters after the consumption of a few adult beverages.
godochaos

Post by godochaos »

It is possible that Friday nite that I might have been enjoying some of natures rich bounty also, ummm but I can't remember [;)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It is possible that Friday nite that I might have been enjoying some of natures rich bounty also, ummm but I can't remember [;)]

The Devil's Lettuce?
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Can't play AE while drinking. The buttons are too small.

I load up Kerbal Space Program and see how many ways I can kill Jebidiah.

The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Hah, I always do my turns on Friday and Saturday while in various degrees of intoxication! [:D]

Probably made a lot of stupid mistakes but who cares? As long as you enjoy yourself and have fun. [:)]

Havn´t killed poor Jeb in a couple of weeks now. Perhaps its time to do so!
Skygge

Post by Skygge »

If some important Naval encounter is possible, or I know some important attack will go in, I have a large shoot of
Fernet Branca ready.
Either to celebrate succes or to wash down the failure.

Then there are the Friday or Saturday night when you get home from whatever and think yourself capable of doing
a turn, which can turn out to be another wrong evaluation made that day.

Attachments
FB.gif
FB.gif (48.4 KiB) Viewed 235 times
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

I think I manage things fairly well with four or five scotch on the rocks over a couple hours or longer.

Now then, weed! Well, I instantly find myself getting all these fetishes like, falling in love with the DD named Trout because I enjoy trout fishing or spacing out for hours over Va'vu dreaming about grass skirts tempting me to give up working for a living and WITPAE for the sun, waves, sand, and coconut massages.
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

Playing against the AI, one always has the option of rolling back the turn, in the event of severe impairment. Like when I recently 'forgot' to set my fine CA group to follow the lead CV TF as it withdrew, & they were left to remain on station in Betty-infested waters. Major oops, I took a mulligan on that turn.

But I've had many fine hours of escapist pleasure, messing about w/ AE, multiple refills of Chardonnay box-wine over soda&ice, music of choice drowning out the AE soundtrack. Lately it's been Miles Davis, but it could as well be Mozart or Psych Furs that aid my next clickfest thru the USArmy pilot assignments.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Good job I haven't a turn in my in box, as I'm three sheets to the wind tonight!
sanch

Post by sanch »

Well I just sank 2, maybe 3 Allied CV's, so I had to have a glass of JD on the rocks. Great stuff! (Wasp (maybe), Lex and Hermes).
obvert

Post by obvert »

Ahh, this is a topic I can relate too!

Not sure I've screwed the pooch because of drinking while playing AE, but there have definitely been times when I got home after a good several at the pub and fallen asleep on the couch with the unfinished turn still open! (Usually when the wife's out of town).

As for normal practice, I'll most often pour a good scotch or bourbon. One or two loosens things up and makes me remember to try things that are fun because this is a game! I'll report back if this causes serious problems in the future. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Barb

Post by Barb »

Glass or two of some fine wine to WITPAE couldnt hurt... But I wouldnt play WITPAE with a whole bottle.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

This section from another thread instantly came to my mind
ORIGINAL: Symon
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I blame drunkenness at Dev HQ. [8D]
And you would be right [:D] Don Bowen likes single malt and so do I. I sent him the best bottle of Scotlands finest I could find when we were working with that development nonsense.
Oh, yeah; we are serious drunks. And we miss some things, out of the thousand and one things we had to contend with. I've seen that one. It's a minor blivet on a big plate. If you really want it fixed, we can do. But be very careful about how we do it.

Ciao. JWE

Sounds to me, as you are playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Also if JWE stops by, please change back to your old avatar - it seems so much more appropriate for this thread.

Return to “The War Room”