Pagan Today

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

Pagan Today

Post by JohnDillworth »

what a pretty Island. With the remains of Japanese aircraft scattered about.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/2 ... 42168.html
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
chazz

RE: Pagan Today

Post by chazz »

This is ridiculous. I'm sure that there are other islands the military could use.
=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos
ndworl

Post by ndworl »

Bombing is actually very good for conservation. It does little actual damage and precludes any economic development, which is the main cause of environmental loss. The Australian Government a few years ago was considering exploring for natural resources in Shoalwater Bay, which had been a military training area and bombing range for decades. The greenies protested, on the grounds of its pristine wilderness characteristics.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

On the opposite side, I think the government of the Mariana's would be foolish to turn this down.

Immediate $$$ inflow into a struggling economy in trade for an essentially unoccupied and potentially dangerous piece of real estate.

Then, in future years, the US Government will no doubt spend additional $$$ to "clean up" and rehabilitate the island.

When it is all said and done, the government of the Mariana's is simply going to rent the island to the Marines for a few decades and reap a windfall of cash. And while that is going on, maybe the volcano will settle down -- because there is no other use for the island until that stability occurs.

The only population with standing to truly object is the tree snails. :-)

Regards,
Feltan
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

On the opposite side, I think the government of the Mariana's would be foolish to turn this down.

Immediate $$$ inflow into a struggling economy in trade for an essentially unoccupied and potentially dangerous piece of real estate.

Then, in future years, the US Government will no doubt spend additional $$$ to "clean up" and rehabilitate the island.

When it is all said and done, the government of the Mariana's is simply going to rent the island to the Marines for a few decades and reap a windfall of cash. And while that is going on, maybe the volcano will settle down -- because there is no other use for the island until that stability occurs.

Regards,
Feltan
Oh, dude, you are so right. San Clemente Island has been a USN live-fire and USN/USMC bombing range since 1934. There are several endangered and indigenous species on the island. The military is quite sensitive to their existence. We have a sailboat race, every year, that uses San Clements Island as a rounding mark. The military graciously adjusts their operations to accommodate heo race.

I have found that military professionals are not just a pack of Nazi goons, like some of you would like to think. They personally care as much as anyone about where their warheads impact and what kind of damage it does.

The original article is from a penis challenged, brainless, wanna be blogger that thinks his useless nonsense will hit on social media. and his dick will get bigger, and he'll be able to get girls. Have no respect, at all, for that kind of trash, I won't even bother to reference it.

Thoughtful people, on both sides, can probably make it happen. And make it happen righteously. So long as one keeps the assholes out of the equation. J
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Gotta agree with Symon.

And I'm sorry if you find this offensive John, but I'm embarrassed for the forum to have a link to anything published by The Huff and Puff post.
Hans

Sredni

Post by Sredni »

I drive in and out of a bombing range from time to time for work and I'll see more wildlife in an hour on the bombing range then I will in the 10 hours previous of varied farmland and forested area's. All you gotta do to let nature thrive is severely limit human activity. The occasional bomb is way less destructive then unending hoards of weekend offroaders and campers and people going fishing.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It would be bad for tourists and the locals because of unexploded ordinance.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Regards,
Feltan

Speaking of snails, have you been on the south side of the Columbia river valley? There's dozens of waterfalls like this:

Attachments
falls785.jpg
falls785.jpg (495.63 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Well, I see at least three good bombing targets.

Regards,
Feltan
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

And there's these huge Banana Slugs all over the place like these

Attachments
Two_Banana_Slugs.jpg
Two_Banana_Slugs.jpg (171.12 KiB) Viewed 205 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

And this

Attachments
bananaslu..2239800.jpg
bananaslu..2239800.jpg (451.79 KiB) Viewed 205 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

And other slugs like this

Attachments
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg (179.58 KiB) Viewed 205 times

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Truly the most disgusting slug is , without a doubt , the couch slug!

Attachments
life_slob.jpg
life_slob.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 205 times
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Speaking of snails, have you been on the south side of the Columbia river valley? There's dozens of waterfalls like this:

You mean the Columbia River Gorge? I live within a couple of miles of the entrance to the Gorge. West of the Cascades from about Eugene, OR north there are massive slugs. They can get up to about 4 inches in length.

The waterfalls in the Gorge were created by the Missoula River Flood, which is the largest flood in the geologic record. It was originally thought to have just been one flood, but its now believed to have been a series of massive floods, each one a little smaller than the last. The largest of them sent a wall of water 1500 ft (500 M) high down the Gorge. It sheered off the lower portion of a number of valleys with rivers in them that flowed into the Columbia which turned them into waterfalls. It was a massive event with scars visible everywhere around here today.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I usually don't listen to you Science types, but that slug called AW1Steve is pretty scary. I normally consume such as him, but I just can't stand belly hair. What's a gorn to do?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It's probably past his beddy bye time, it certainly is for me, but I'm pretty sure that the offending organism is another forum denizen who he will not name. It couldn't be me as I have scales rather than hair.

So who is that piece of work with the faded lime-green trousers?

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The picture is from here:

https://modernbitch.wordpress.com/
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Bill, you're supposed to be protecting children like me from stuff like that. I won't tell if you won't, but what about the small young gorns who don't know anything better? They came to this planet expecting a decent education and you give them what? They now know what gorns are, thanks to you. I wanted them to become astronauts, or lawyers or physicians. Or taxidermists. Above all.

Dragoastro

Post by Dragoastro »

Isn't the B52 (long) retired? The author greatly reduces his credibility with has sensationalist style and lack of attention to details.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”