Rules for attacking submarines

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Erik2, Lukas

ncarson

Rules for attacking submarines

Post by ncarson »

I seem to be missing something about how to attack subs. I surrounded one with two destroyers and two cruisers (guarding a cv) and even tho the destroyer was parked alongside and the sub became only because the cruiser accidentally ran over the sub, the destroyers were unable to attack, but the cruiser could. On the next turn, the sub was damaged, but the cruiser could not attack, and the destroyers, even tho they were beside the sub, could not attack the now visible but submerged sub.
What are the rules and procedures here?
vonRocko

RE: Rules for attacking submarines

Post by vonRocko »

Each ship must do its own search before it could attack. So even if the sub is exposed from another ship, others must use the search button first to be able to attack. Of course that means they must already be within range of the sub, because you can't move before searching. I hope that helps.
ncarson

RE: Rules for attacking submarines

Post by ncarson »

That's pretty much what I figured out as well. But it seems curious (and might not be the case) that the cruiser could attack when it "ran over" the sub, but never could attack again. But I am pretty sure that the first attack came from the cruiser during its move. Thanks. I guess what the destroyers have is a "failure to communicate"!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”