DW - Starfall Ver 1.12

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

fierceking

RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 1.0

Post by fierceking »

I think I got it fixed. I'm not seeing any XL pirate ships so I'm uploading the update
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

great friend. I was really waiting for your news. You're the man. [:D]
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

Updated to version 1.01

Goto first page for info and download link
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

Excelent. Downloading
Tnkz
Tikigit

Post by Tikigit »

Seems to be a slight problem with the Clomidos.

On empire selection one of their victory conditions is showing up as:

"Control the 0 largest none colonies in the galaxy".

In fact I think there may be something a bit off with quite a few races. Noticing some victory conditions and behaviour traits that seem to be complete contradictory and don't really fit in with the theme of the race.

For example the Delphid (Rodents):

Characteristics:

Extremely Passive
Slightly Cautious
Quite Friendly
Quite Intelligent
Extremely Unreliable

Bonuses:

Industrious Miners
Natural Optimisits
Master Engineers
Natural Merchants

Race Victory Conditions:

50%: Conquer the most enemy colonies << ?!? Extremely Passive and bonuses are focused on industry. How does this fit?
25% Control your homeworld.
25% Enslave other races at your colonies. << ?!? Again. How does this fit? Quite friendly???
25% of your empire's population.

It almost feels like somehow when the addon is being loaded everything is being thrown randomly at the wall and whatever lands on a race is kept. Any chance something ended up a bit screwy with the 1.01 download?
RiftHick

Post by RiftHick »

Tikigit, Most of the custom races in the mod are still work in progress and as such things like diplomacy bias and victory conditions are either non existent or placeholders until Fierce gets around to them. You can if you want to change the victory conditions to something you find more fitting. The mod guide tells you what you need to know in order to do this, don't be worried at the prospect it's easy to do it's just time consuming when you have to do it to dozens of races and have to try to make them somewhat distinct. As for the mod guide since I can't link stuff, Erik posted a link to it you can access it by looking near the bottom of the stickied part of the mod forum.

Delphid have had those placeholder conditions for months, if you do decide to change the victory conditions and have additional questions I'm sure someone will answer them people here are usually reasonable enough.
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

Hi. Bad news. New monster ship desing problem for me again. Ship Design 5000 from freighter and pirats.
Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

I suspect that components over 256 are still bugged for pirates...
Maybe we should post in tech support ?
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: danymatrix

Hi. Bad news. New monster ship desing problem for me again. Ship Design 5000 from freighter and pirats.
Thanx for letting me know...

Can someone upload a save file for me to check out. I've started 4 game and ran it in auto till around tech level 5 and didn't see any XL ships. But if the AI is still making giant ships then I can only think of 1 solution.

I think the only solution now is just to change one line in research.txt.

Change this line
----------------------
PROJECT ;1044, Age of Hyperdrive, 1, 37, 1, 10, 2, 4.0,
COMPONENTS ;260, 280, 281, 282
ALLOWED RACES ;PirateX

to this line
----------------------
PROJECT ;1044, Age of Hyperdrive, 1, 37, 1, 10, 2, 4.0,
COMPONENTS ;48
ALLOWED RACES ;PirateX

Component 48 is the Kaldos hyperdrive

For people who are unsure about making changes to the research.txt you can download it and just replace the research.txt in my mod with this new one. The only change is that one line.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/d421k41kuaz30qv/research.txt
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: Tikigit

Seems to be a slight problem with the Clomidos.

On empire selection one of their victory conditions is showing up as:

"Control the 0 largest none colonies in the galaxy".

In fact I think there may be something a bit off with quite a few races. Noticing some victory conditions and behaviour traits that seem to be complete contradictory and don't really fit in with the theme of the race.

For example the Delphid (Rodents):

Characteristics:

Extremely Passive
Slightly Cautious
Quite Friendly
Quite Intelligent
Extremely Unreliable

Bonuses:

Industrious Miners
Natural Optimisits
Master Engineers
Natural Merchants

Race Victory Conditions:

50%: Conquer the most enemy colonies << ?!? Extremely Passive and bonuses are focused on industry. How does this fit?
25% Control your homeworld.
25% Enslave other races at your colonies. << ?!? Again. How does this fit? Quite friendly???
25% of your empire's population.

It almost feels like somehow when the addon is being loaded everything is being thrown randomly at the wall and whatever lands on a race is kept. Any chance something ended up a bit screwy with the 1.01 download?
Rifthick is right....the mod is still WIP even though I thought I was almost finished.

I've never had a chance to look at the victory condiotions yet. I prefer to play sandbox mode and have games that last a long time so my view is kinda skewed.

I totally forgot that people play differently, so my next project for this mod is to fix the victory conditions of the races I've added.
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

Here is savegame
SAVE
Look pirate ship with XL design, and other frigate private independent. Tkz.

About your research txt, we need start a new game to apply this fix? Tkz in advance Friend!
RiftHick

Post by RiftHick »

I'm currently into year 35 of a game using you most recent release 1.01. I have not seen any troll ships from any independent (there are 32 in my game) and not a single one from the dozen or so pirate factions (some big enough to have 200+ ships). I'll keep playing but I already experienced save corruption due to the games inherent memory leak issue (this is why it's year 35 and not 48 lol) so I may or may not get to take this current match all that further.

Danymatrix, yes you will likely need to start a new match for the changes done to be applied seems to be the case for most changes at least based on my own tinkerings with various mod-able parts of the game.
MaxRebo

RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 1.01

Post by MaxRebo »

Registered just to inform you of this, as I can't believe no one noticed it before:
Completely normal, already built ships and bases are being turned into troll ships randomly whenever certain processing is done by the game. They are NOT erroneous AI designs, and they happen to the player too, even with all designs completely on manual.
So far, the only game event which I was able to pin-point with 100% certainty to cause the bug is when research gets finished. A portion of all existing ships (presumably only from the faction that had a research project completed) have random superweapons added to them. This all sounds like a game engine bug to me, probably related to the 256+ components issue.

Potentially, the number of empires+pirates in the game influence how bad it becomes. I'm playing with 19 AI empires so maybe I'm seeing this much more frequently than others here. Also, the game generated 25 pirate factions even though I had the slider on "few" (1400 Stars, 10x10 sectors).

I can provide a save if necessary, but it should be easy enough to reproduce. And someone else reproducing it on their install on a fresh game would rule out me having done something to mine that messes things up (which I don't think I did though).
Bingeling

RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 1.01

Post by Bingeling »

I would think a save with an easy demo of this would be very interesting for Elliot. If they randomly morph into different designs, it looks very much like a game engine bug.

Look at the tech forum and the sticky "Where to upload save files". Include info about any mod needed to run it, and where to get that from.
MaxRebo

Post by MaxRebo »

I was kinda reluctant to open a tech support thread, this is a bug caused by a mod after all. I never had any issues with Vanilla DW.

But since I can't post links, I didn't really have a choice. If fierceking wants to take a look too, the save is named [MaxRebo]_DWU-v1.9.5.12_Starfall-v1.01_ShipMorphBug.dwg on the Matrix Games tech support FTP server.
Just wait a few in-game days until Target Tracking finishes researching, and all hell breaks lose.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: MaxRebo

I was kinda reluctant to open a tech support thread, this is a bug caused by a mod after all. I never had any issues with Vanilla DW.

But since I can't post links, I didn't really have a choice. If fierceking wants to take a look too, the save is named [MaxRebo]_DWU-v1.9.5.12_Starfall-v1.01_ShipMorphBug.dwg on the Matrix Games tech support FTP server.
Just wait a few in-game days until Target Tracking finishes researching, and all hell breaks lose.
Thanx for reporting the bug and uploading the file.

I did take a look and I was surprised by how clear the bug shows what is happening. It looks like every base and ship lost their shield in one instant and gained some type of superweapon. The medium spaceport had like 1 million firepower and even transport ships gained 30k in firepower while losing all their shield. There was no upgrade taking place. Just an instant change from normal to insane XL size of everything.

I hope they get around to fixing this since soon.
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

It's good that you were able to view the event.I take this opportunity to let you know that the ships when they are in the state 'no mission' are trembling, something that not happened in pre-1.0 versions. Perhaps it has something to do with this, or maybe not. I hope it can be resolved soon. I can not wait to start a new era with these improvements. tnk guys
MaxRebo

Post by MaxRebo »

ORIGINAL: fierceking

Thanx for reporting the bug and uploading the file.

No prob. Hopefully they'll consider it important enough to do a hotfix release.

In the meantime, I've started a small game with 700 stars / 6x6 sectors and 6 AI empires, and sure enough, the bug still hits as hard as ever (and not only at completed research projects). So the magnitude of the game probably has next to no influence. Which begs the question, why has no one else ever had this happen to their Starfall games in such an obvious way? What am I doing differently?
RiftHick

Post by RiftHick »

I got my fresh game to year 97 with only a handful of troll ships in the end, the only troll ships where in one way or another linked with pirates. The only troll ships any standard empire had where ships they've boarded from the pirates (easy enough since they don't have shields, engines, warp or the ability to do anything) I knew they where boarded ships as the ships had the pirate tile-set not the races who had control of it. I suppose I should commend the AI for not nuking the ships as that would destroy anything else nearby in a chain reaction but can't help but rage at the fact they aren't able to determine that the ships are useless and should be scrapped along with their handful of pre-warp ships that are somewhere in the vacuum of deep-space. Something else I noticed it was only certain pirate factions that where having this happen, keeping in mind that I disabled all generic races from being pirates so that the only pirates are "PirateX", the few factions suffering this issue where not anywhere near the weakest or strongest factions. One pirate faction was so old (the only surviving original pirate faction) and powerful it was tech level 7 (the majority of other factions where tl 5 at best) and had 700+ ships but not one was a troll ship. I shall temporarily modify the pirate only tech on my end to give vanilla components of comparable effectiveness and start another fresh game, I'll let you know what I find out. If this does turn out to be something linked to the 256 component thing then I guess a temporary solution would be to prevent the newer components from being researched and merely make their respective tech lines boost the existing proven to be working components. This shouldn't require any changes to the pre-determined tech progress lists that each race as though it will throw the resources out of whack a bit as now there will be increased draw on some and less on others. If it comes to that I'll take the plunge and do it on my end and then let you know what I find out Fierce.

Edit:

No go in the latest game, while there no more pirates with huge ships (big because of super weapons) there where a handful of independents still making them periodically. For the first time in 3 fresh games I noticed my own designs being changed from under me. What was effected in cases on my end seem to be the more recently added components and not the older things. I'll take a backup of my tech file and then begin work on what is hopefully only a temporary fix of making all research linked with techs above #256 improve earlier components. I'll begin work on it either later today or sometime tomorrow then if after another fresh 100 year long game things don't venture yet again into the realm of high strangeness then I am willing to give you the modified file Fierce. Once the problem is fixed then it'll be a simple revert of going back to using the current research file.
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

YEAH!

Return to “Design and Modding”