Troop transport question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gregb41352

RE: Troop transport question

Post by gregb41352 »

Oh, I'll stick with it. Just my cup of tea. It will take a little longer than I'd anticipated though, just to play a few turns. Could you recommend an AAR to help a total beginner learn the game?
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

ORIGINAL: gobadgers

Oh, I'll stick with it. Just my cup of tea. It will take a little longer than I'd anticipated though, just to play a few turns. Could you recommend an AAR to help a total beginner learn the game?
Oh there is a ton. I'm sort of perusing myself. Each one has a different style and different kinds of writers and personal writing habits and presentations. I would suggest you read the first 10-20 entries of some sample AARs, and continue with the ones that catch your interest. They are entertaining though if you like this sort of thing. Though I keep a jpeg map of the game nearby as often I have to find the bases they are talking about. [:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

OK, I think I get it. I'll have to delve back into the rules to see what the procedure is to assign the forces I want to move to an un-restricted HQ I think. Edit: which cohimbra just answered thank you.

Although the South Pacific HQ is un-restricted and these forces are all attached to that HQ.

Damn, I played some super complex wargames back in the day but NOTHING like this. I need a semester course in the rules. How did you guys learn how to play this? I'm open to suggestions lol.

I'm not playing with any mods. Trying to learn the vanilla game first. And not all that successfully.
I really appreciate the help though guys.

Most new players end up here asking questions. Or they are among the hundreds of guests looking in and learning the ropes passively. It takes a while, but you'll start to get the hang of it.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Id guess the OP is playing one of the short scenarios, probably Coral Sea where the units are restricted to prevent the allies reinforcing Port Morsby. I.e. You either stop the invasion convoy or the Japanese win.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Gobadgers

This is THE most complex game, I am still learning it and have been playing since day 1. With one or two exceptions the people on here are extremely helpful and will answer questions happily. See how much help piled in when you put the screen shots up..... I have been asleep otherwise I'd have said similar things.

Best way to 'learn' the game is to accept you will never know it all and just start stumbling along - its how I play.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Hi, gobadgers - I'm on the learning wagon myself, just into my second (I made the first one short - stopping in March 1942) game. I think I knew how intricate
this game is from the start (checked around quite a bit and waited a few months before I ordered it) so I decided to make a couple of "starts", before starting
in earnest. I also decided to play the first games "simple", to break the learning curve a little. Get it "in the blood" so to speak. This, I feel, is working.
Even then I¨m still trying to avoid too many fancy twists. Take your recent problems as one of those unavoidable in RL......and, good luck!

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

This game is a masterpiece... so comprehensive it takes a West Point Logistics course and six months of bootcamp to play it. [:D]
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

ORIGINAL: GamesaurusRex

This game is a masterpiece... so comprehensive it takes a West Point Logistics course and six months of bootcamp to play it. [:D]
And that's just to get started ...
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: GamesaurusRex

Not sure bootcamp helps....[;)]

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Hang in there,

Watch Some Videos:
https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/

The one you want for your question:
Political Points and Restricted

It is near the end of the list
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It looks like you're playing some kind of mod that has a restricted So Pac Rear Area HQ that is restricted. This is indicated by the (R) on the unit name. Restricted units can't be loaded onto any ship. They can be transferred by air to a base with the same HQ if they can be airlifted. To be able to load a restricted unit onto transport ships, they need to have the HQ changed. Some units are permanently restricted and the text for the HQ shows up in white on the unit screen. Others can be changed for a PP cost, these show up in yellow.

I'm not familiar with this mod, so I can't tell you what the situation would be with these units.

Bill

Only a seriously sick JFB would construct a scenario with a restricted SouthPac.

I hope he also gave the Allies 1000 PP a day.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”