Italian Sub Cannot Initiate Combat in Cape Verde Basin

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

Italian Sub Cannot Initiate Combat in Cape Verde Basin

Post by rkr1958 »

The Situation: The Italians took a naval and the Germans a combined. They both moved subs into the Cape Verde Basin. The Italian sub is unable to initiate combat. Yes, it was the Italians phase and the sub is organized. Only the German sub(s) could initiate. However, the Italian sub was able to participate in the combat.

Attachments
CapeVerdeB..eCombat.jpg
CapeVerdeB..eCombat.jpg (866.9 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: Italian Sub Cannot Initiate Combat off Cape Verde Basin

Post by rkr1958 »

Game file.
Attachments
1.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Ronnie
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I'm not sure this matters very much. The program is making the decision maker the major power with the most units in the sea area.

===

It would be a hassle to write code to enable all the major powers with eligible units in the sea area to decide whether or not to initiate combat in the sea area.

Note that there is code to do that for naval interceptions, just not for initiating naval combat during the naval combat phases.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I'm not sure this matters very much. The program is making the decision maker the major power with the most units in the sea area.

===

It would be a hassle to write code to enable all the major powers with eligible units in the sea area to decide whether or not to initiate combat in the sea area.

Note that there is code to do that for naval interceptions, just not for initiating naval combat during the naval combat phases.

Steve, I think the bug is more than just the fact that both Germany and Italy have subs in the area. Unfortunately, I don't have a saved game for this but I did experience a case when the Italians alone had subs in Cape Verde and weren't able to initiate combat. So you don't have to do it, I'll take the game file that I uploaded and create such a case to confirm the bug. Regardless, I'll let you know what I find out in a few minutes.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

===

Steve, I think the bug is more than just the fact that both Germany and Italy have subs in the area. Unfortunately, I don't have a saved game for this but I did experience a case when the Italians alone had subs in Cape Verde and weren't able to initiate combat. So you don't have to do it, I'll take the game file that I uploaded and create such a case to confirm the bug. Regardless, I'll let you know what I find out in a few minutes.
Steve, I was mistaken. If alone, the Italian sub can initiate combat so I agree that this "bug" is really a "feature" and doesn't need to be fixed, except ... what if the Germans had taken a land and the Italians a naval or combined? Then it would be significant. I'll let you know in a bit on that condition.

Attachments
CapeVerdeB..eCombat.jpg
CapeVerdeB..eCombat.jpg (660.37 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

===

Steve, I was mistaken. If alone, the Italian sub can initiate combat so I agree that this "bug" is really a "feature" and doesn't need to be fixed, except ... what if the Germans had taken a land and the Italians a naval or combined? Then it would be significant. I'll let you know in a bit on that condition.
It this last case with the Italians taking a naval and the Germans taking a land, the Italians were able to initiate combat in Cape Verde Basin with the two German subs there. So, I agree that this "feature" doesn't need "fixing". I'm sure you have much more critical things to spend your coding time on than this one. [;)]
Ronnie
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

It this last case with the Italians taking a naval and the Germans taking a land, the Italians were able to initiate combat in Cape Verde Basin with the two German subs there. So, I agree that this "feature" doesn't need "fixing". I'm sure you have much more critical things to spend your coding time on than this one. [;)]
Thank you for checking all this out for me.[&o]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

===

But can the decision maker (Germany in this case) disorganize the Italian sub to cause the search to be initiated?

It definitely is critical if it must be a German sub that initiates.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

===

But can the decision maker (Germany in this case) disorganize the Italian sub to cause the search to be initiated?

It definitely is critical if it must be a German sub that initiates.
Just tried it. The Italian sub can be used by the Germans to initiate combat. For example, in the attached game you need to switch to the Germans, choose to fight the naval combat in the Cape Verde Basin and select the Italian sub.

So the answer to your question is yes, the Italian sub can be used to initiate the combat. Just not by the Italians.
Attachments
3.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Thanks rkr. Not sure how well known or well documented this is, but it's important we found out. I appreciate your time testing it!
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”