Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

pandoraefretum

Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

Post by pandoraefretum »

Harpoon Strategy Guide

Scanning : I have reached scanning of page 230 of Harpoon II : The Official Strategy Guide
I find this book very helpful ; but it has become difficult to find a hard copy.
When I finish, would some kind soul please convert it into a pdf ? Thanks and enjoy the read

Roland
Primarchx

RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

Post by Primarchx »

It's a good starter primer for Command. I recommend that and the rules to Harpoon 4 as beginning reading for new players.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Haven't looked at it in years but it may be applicable. It's not written about our game or models though so just for the high level stuff.

I think Harpoon 4 is a great game but the amount of computations to complete a turn are cumbersome and not really attractive to new board gamers. I would suggest the NWS games instead. They get it[:)]

Mike
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

The main reason I start with those two resources is to provide a good basis of understanding of naval sensors and weapons. However I haven't played the NWS games.
Marder

Post by Marder »

wow thanks [&o]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

The main reason I start with those two resources is to provide a good basis of understanding of naval sensors and weapons. However I haven't played the NWS games.

Yeah it's also a way for you to needle us given our past history with those folks. We get it, you got us. Now listen to our silence

Mike
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Huh? Not my intent, Mike. Honest.
pandoraefretum

Post by pandoraefretum »

Nor mine,

BUT couldn't this book be re-written / re-worked relatively quickly for Command ?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: pandoraefretum

Nor mine,

BUT couldn't this book be re-written / re-worked relatively quickly for Command ?

A static book/manual doesn't make sense because we update the game so much. We've been looking at easy ways to create a living manual that we can grow with the game. Nowadays you do all sorts of neat things from video to pdf print etc. The catch is the time and effort involved in doing this (dev game or dev webapp etc).

Mike
pandoraefretum

Post by pandoraefretum »

Well, I was thinking a keen player with experience could do it, rather than the Developers (who are already doing enough). I'd almost have a go myself, except wait, I'm not really an Authority on Naval Warfare and have no Naval background... BUT surely someone could give it a go ?! Maybe, as in the original book, 2 people could co-Author such a work ?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Its a lot to ask people to do and I firmly think it should be a group effort between the devs and avid players to be any good. The developers explain models and how things work and the players explain how to use them. Its similar to a dev and sys analyst pairings we see in our day jobs. I also think we're unique in that both Warfaresims and our players have a buttload more programming, web and social networking skills than most gaming communities so we'd just do an amazing job.

If only we had the time....[:)]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Huh? Not my intent, Mike. Honest.

Okay. Sorry. Very much a kneejerk reaction on my part. Given whats going on in Poonland these days I can't tell if people are sincere or its just some muppet trying to tear us down for you know, daring to develop a good game. Best to just ice the sucker and walk away.

M
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

lol, shoot first, ask questions later, just like my SAG's..... :) Command's development really highlights the problems in creating a written manual for a game of this scope and complexity. I remember my Falcon 4.0 binder/manual....that was over 400 pages for 1 aircraft! A community effort is the only way to go. Personally, if people are going to put the effort in, it makes way more sense to tack on the the great stuff Baloogan has already done. Listing every single platform in the DB really ought to be the hard part, and that's done already. General functions and tactics will likely work best. The number of different situations one might find in Command is infinite, so trying to account for every situation is a fools errand.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

There is already a wiki, why not just use that and keep help keep it updated.
Noldofinwe

Post by Noldofinwe »

What might be an idea is to generate documentation of all the platforms ingame, a bit like Javadoc and to generate a wiki from it. This allows players to refer to it in guides. But a big part of the game of course is the database, so that might be a bit of a copy and I'm not sure if you guys want to publish that.
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

ORIGINAL: Noldofinwe

What might be an idea is to generate documentation of all the platforms ingame, a bit like Javadoc and to generate a wiki from it. This allows players to refer to it in guides. But a big part of the game of course is the database, so that might be a bit of a copy and I'm not sure if you guys want to publish that.
The DB is already accessible online as integrated part of the wiki featured at baloogancampaign.com
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

There is already a wiki, why not just use that and keep help keep it updated.

Yeah that's the solution that Baloogan graciously put in place. Catch is while being in place for over a year only the cool/fun stuff got populated into it (OOB's, db's etc) but the boring, inane, click here,do that, this is how this works hasn't made it yet. That's really the problem we need to solve.

Keep in mind I'm not really complaining. I get why it hasn't been approached. Manual writing is a grueling, mind numbing process that is right up there with doing you're taxes.

Right now I think the most valuable resources available are: active participation on the forum (us and community); the existing manual and web page updates, Baloogan's and other's video collections and a number of great articles posted there and on the warfaresims's page. Coiler's work stands out.

Need to work out a method and a possible platform that really ties all this great stuff together. Need the player to find exactly what they're looking for. Need us to be able to know what will be looked for. Need a way to do all this that doesn't completely suck up our dev time and player's game time.

Maybe Hooli has a solution[&:]

Mike
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think the real issue is people not taking advantage of what is already available. There are great official and community resources available. They are not prominently displayed on the forum, but even a little searching will get most of what you want. This game is not one you can stroll into and have everything handed to you. I think the preference that has come out from the community is have the devs focus on game development and community members will take care of the other stuff.
Noldofinwe

Post by Noldofinwe »

I would also want to add that as a new player the game is quite difficult to get into. There are 3 tutorial missions, and I know some scenario's are more manageable than others, but something that would help to get into the game would be a string of scenarios or a campaign if you will that teaches the gameplay and that adds context to the individual scenarios. That might also help attract new players for who the learning curve might be to steep otherwise.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah we're looking at adding a new air tutorial soonish. Lots has changed and the original one is pretty difficult.

Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”