Application unexpectedly quits often

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

wga8888

Application unexpectedly quits often

Post by wga8888 »

This happens frequently on my desktop (XP) running 1.08.03. Usually cannot complete a scenario turn.

No occurrences on my macbook running a windows (same XP) also running 1.08.03. The only thing on my macbook windows partition is the XP and four Matrix games.

Desktop has lots of applications on it. Are there any known conflicts? I will try running with all other applications closed (cant do much about the background applications).

I run WITP about 5 hours a day for 18 months with no memory of a crash.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Denniss

RE: Application unexpectedly quits often

Post by Denniss »

Does it really crash or is it just not responding?
Where exactly does it crash/hang?
During AI turn/calculations it often seems to be not responding but it's still working.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

For example, last night I had started a new scenario and was changing the color of my Russian Fronts and armies. No other application was open except one Firefox Browser page showing me the RGB color chart. I had to save every 5 minutes as the application quit three times in the 1 hour spent on this task, due having to restart from the last save. I could capture the microsoft crash report; I cannot interpret it. I do not have this issue on my laptop that is loaded only with XP and four matrix game applications.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

As a side note, when I check for updates via the opening screen on the desktop, I get an immediate error from Microsof Visual C; runtime Error, abnormal program termination, Progam: [pathname] to update.exe
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

I can look at info screens all day. once I try to do something, such as change toggle for an air group to receive replacements, move a unit; the application is prone to quit within a few minutes.

I am getting no useful feedback from Matrix. I have canceled my intent to buy the expansions as I cannot run the program without it quitting consistently.

Given no suggestions, I can try to uninstall, then reinstall the program and the several updates. I can always buy another computer but that seems to be an expensive possible solution without any confidence it will solve the problem. WITE is the only one of my five 6 Matrix Windows programs that keeps quitting. WITE is the most recent release that I have, perhaps the program quitting consistently making it unplayable is just a feature.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
morvael

Post by morvael »

Is it better now on .04? That hotfix repairs one crash that could happen during logistics. Other than that, I'd say it may be related to sound. Did you try to run the game with disabled sound (rename sound folder in Dat folder to something else)?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Also, Windows XP is not supported by anyone at this time. Not by Microsoft, not by Matrix, and not by developers. If some games run on it it's good, but if they don't it's hard to blame anyone.

As for the updater - it's broken but only Matrix can repair it, not 2by3.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Windows XP should not be a problem as game was developed to run on this and is part of its system requirements), 1.08 should never break this (morvael please verify this on an XP system).

@wga - please create a dxdiag file and attach it here for us to have a look. Please ensure your system is not affected by malware and your harddrive(s) have no errors. Sound may indeed an issue if some strange codecs are installed or buggy/broken. Get and run the Codec Tweak Tool from http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm and have it check for broken codecs.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
morvael

Post by morvael »

I have no access to XP, so I can't test this. I don't know on what machine the game is compiled for public release, but as I understand it there may be problems if the game is compiled against newer versions of various libraries found on the host system as compared to what the player has.
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Thank you for the input' I now have some things to try
- I always have my speakers off when running the program. I have just gone into the preference and set all the sound items (Music, South Effects, Mouse Click) to zero. will test; if crashign continues, will rename the Dat/Sound folder and retest
-I am running 1.08.03. I will look for a 1.08.04 in download and members
- My other, windows partition of on a Macbook run XP, without issue; challenged by screen resolution choices makes part of the unit window unavaailable, such as change color). DOS is native and I run the matrix DOS games, several Pacific War games in progress. My host of applications (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, various graphic, drawing, database, MSOffice, etc) are all XP based, I lack the discretionary funds to repurchase 20+ programs to be compatible with the newer windows. I am not a fan of Microsoft concept of force obsolescence. {Not to mention Vista and other later windows were disasters).
Norton Internet Security
- Norton Utilities run int eh background, but so does the other computer that does not crash. I can turn these off and work offline to see what happens.
- I do not know what as dxdiag file is. I can copy the windows crash report screen in its variuos forms, I lack the understanding to interpret it.
-I will get and run the Codec Tweak Tool and see what I learn.

All this will keep me busy and will take some time. My days are consumed by taking care of a very interactive intellectually disabled person; my free time is very limited.

Thanks again for the leads on the items to investigate.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Update
-turning all sound/music settings to zero does not prevent crashed
-renaming dat/sound to soundx did not prevent crash.
-I cannot find a version of 1.08.04 on either download or forum, cannot evaluate if it helps.

Will use all the Norton system tools next. Then will try Codec Tweak Tool.

WITE is the only program that crashes; computer has lots of programs.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

Look at the forum thread titled: "War in the East Beta Hotfix 1.08.04" its in the first post
- Mark
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Thanks, downloaded and installed. Will exercise it toniht

Just completed running all the optimization, defrag tools in Norton Internet Security and Norton Utilities on the computer, taking most of the day.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com

Return to “Tech Support”