tracing a path for re-organizing units

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

brian brian

tracing a path for re-organizing units

Post by brian brian »

This is a part of the game I need to dial in a lot better on cardboard.

A unit can be re-organized by an HQ by tracing a path from the HQ to the unit up to the HQ's re-org value in _motorized movement points_

I know we have blown that in some games. It does lead to a few questions though

Does it matter if the Motorized Movement Optional is in use? (I think clearly the answer would be no, and I can't imagine a reason not to play with that Option).

Then there is the Weather ...

The path is supposed to be traced "like a basic supply path" - so clearly you can't trace through a ZoC unless a unit on your side occupies the ZoC'd hex.

But basic supply paths are reduced by bad weather in certain specific ways. Weather affects movement points in a different way, generally doubling movement point costs in Rain, Storm, or Blizzard.

Which do you use for calculating possible range for re-organization?

A final one - what happens if the Railway Movement Bonus Optional is in play?

(I never ever use that one)

I liked a House Rule type Optional (not in MWiF at all of course) from the last Annual about moving in Snow.... but I have no idea how to use that one during the Re-Org phase.
paulderynck

RE: tracing a path for re-organizing units

Post by paulderynck »

Not sure anyone plays without the motorized movement option, but if they did then woods and mountain etc. would cost less and re-org range generally extended on average.

Weather effects matter so in Rain it costs 2 per clear hex, etc, but it doesn't reduce range because supply range is less nor does the HQ's re-org value change. It says you trace "like a basic supply path". So correct r.e. enemy ZoC effects and that's it.

You can always re-org an adjacent unit, even if it's in Swamp (providing not across all-sea or alpine).

If playing with the Railway Movement option (which IMO is hateful and imbalancing) then tracing in Rain down a RR in clear would cost 1, through forest each hex would cost 3 etc.

That optional rule about Snow has been clarified subsequently to not apply to re-org nor advance after combat (and possibly breakthrough & overruns), but does apply to overruns during movement. We used it in our last playtest and concluded it was one of those "sounded like a good idea at the time", but overall we ended up not liking how it affected the game.

Paul
brian brian

RE: tracing a path for re-organizing units

Post by brian brian »

thanks Paul. I think mostly I just forget to apply weather effects as after land combat is over, you are already thinking about the next weather roll, and it is just too easy to count the HQ's re-org value only in hexes.

Return to “WIF School”