Campaigns on the Danube v3.03 Beta is Now Available for Public Testing!

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
HybridSpyda

Campaigns on the Danube v3.03 Beta is Now Available for Public Testing!

Post by HybridSpyda »

Hi Everyone,

The next public beta for Campaigns on the Danube (v3.03) is now available in the Members Club.

This patch includes fixes for various bugs.

Happy Gaming!
Matthew Ravenwood

QA & Operations Manager

Rasputitsa

RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.03 Beta is Now Available for Public Testing!

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks, nice to get back to the game, now that the unit counter mix-up seems to be fixed. Only just started, but looks OK so far. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Kai

Post by Kai »

Thanks so much!!
Kai

Post by Kai »

Strange issues with screen resolution.

My monitor is running at 2560 x 1440

However, when I choose that screen resolution in COTD, the screen is narrow and part dark.

Here's a screen shot of my monitor: Image
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Just started re-playing the game in v3.03 beta and having a problem when detaching units, the Corps commander tends to follow the detached units, rather than staying with the rest of his corps and ignores the corps' objective. This results in attempts to redirect the errant corps commanders and extra orders being imputed, but after several turns, the game begins to run very slowly. Switching off and restarting the game from a game-save restores it to normal speed.

In one case I had new units just entered the map and attached then to a Corps, expecting them to move off and join the selected corps, but the reverse happened, the Corps commander left his objective and existing units, moving rapidly to the rear to join the recently attached units. I had attached new units to other Corps, because although they come onto the map attached to Napoleon, they make no effort to join Napoleon (except Engineers, which did their duty).

Have games saves if it helps.[:)]

P.S When the game slows, it's the computer which has been brought to a crawl and remains that way, until I can get 'Campaigns' to close. On closing, the game I get this message :

Attachments
Access Violation.jpg
Access Violation.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 146 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

thanks so much for the beta, will see how it goes and report any issues

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

Thanks!!!!
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

After a disaster playing 'Charles Variant' scenario in v3.03 beta, player controlled supply a shambles (my fault), turn after turn of rain, but computer slowing to a crawl after a few turns, restarted same scenario, with computer controlled supply (making player inputs occasionally), weather much improved thankfully, everything working more smoothly, using 'detach' order with more care (see earlier post).

I know the rain issue is a chance element, but it certainly throws out your plans, the other problems were with the running of the game which added to the pain.[:(]

Using Windows 8.1, changed compatibly mode, which was set for 'XP', now compatibility for 'Vista', seems to be working better, not sure if it's a co-incidence, but see how it progresses. Not getting the 'Access Violation' crash when closing the game, altogether better experience.

Not sure what has improved the running of the game, could be the compatibility mode, or by making more use of computer control, I'm not overloading the system with player inputs. Either way, it's a more realistic way to play and relieved to see it working better.[:)]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Had another exception message, this happened after I had left the computer, with a game running, and came back later to carry on a move, after it had been in hibernation.

Attachments
FrenchInf2.jpg
FrenchInf2.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

This is how it looked in the game folder :

The French Infantry Icon has changed and is blocking the game, I did a game save, re-started and all returned to normal. I don't know if this is problem with the game, or the computer, but it isn't something I have seen before. [&:]

The game is still in progress, nothing was lost. [:)]

All the properties of the 'frInf' file looked normal and matched the properties of the other unit counter files.

P.S. : this seemed to be a compatibility problem, I can't remember why I changed compatibility mode for 'Campaigns' to XP, I guess I was having problems running earlier versions of the game in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 and was using compatibility for first XP, then Vista. Now I have reverted to standard Windows 8.1, with v3.03 beta, all is running OK. [:)]
Attachments
FrenchInf.jpg
FrenchInf.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Upload error

Attachments
Replacements.jpg
Replacements.jpg (110.81 KiB) Viewed 149 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Slight glitch showing replacements needed by units, seems just display data, the replacement system seem to work OK.

Attachments
Replacements.jpg
Replacements.jpg (110.81 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Here is the problem with detached units.

Lefebvre has orders and the objective set to defend PASSAU, which is where most of the Corps units are (blue arrow). I have detached Wrede to defend SCHAERDING and that unit is in the stack ringed in red, with Lefebvre choosing to follow the detached unit, rather than stay on the ordered objective with the main part of the Corps. Incidentally, Napoleon is attached to Lefebrve's corps and also has chosen to go with Lefebvre, following the detached unit.

I am prepared to risk Wrede's detached division to try and hold the Austrian VI corps from escaping, but I am now also risking the corps commander and the army commander himself.

I am not sure if this is a feature of v3.03 beta, or was there before, but commanders always seem to chase off after units selected to detach, rather than stay with the main part of their corps, which they should still command.

Attachments
LefebvreN..Wredex.jpg
LefebvreN..Wredex.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 148 times

FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Rasputitsa, any chance you could send me your saved game files of the above problem?

fhunter@telus.net
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Rasputitsa, any chance you could send me your saved game files of the above problem?

fhunter@telus.net

Message sent [:)]

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”