Curious Question about Matrix/Slitherine forums

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

CarnageINC

Curious Question about Matrix/Slitherine forums

Post by CarnageINC »

So I'm looking to get back into some new games and I noticed some of the games I was interested, Germany at War: Barbarossa 41 are not on Matrix but over at Slitherine. Looking into it some more I notice that its a mix, some titles are here, some there, some in both forums.

Just curious why is that? Is their suppose to be a shift toward Slitherine forums? Do they keep this forum open for us old timers to ingrained to change [8D] ?
CarnageINC

RE: Curious Question about Matrix/Slitherine forums

Post by CarnageINC »

Okay, maybe I'm losing my sight . I found the German at War here in Matrix forums. [:'(]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

To try and minimize the duplication of forums going forwards we are having it either on Slitherine or Matrix but not both. There will be a redirect on the Slitherine/Matrix forum to the games forum on the other site. This way the dev team have one less place to manage and the community is less fragmented. Your username and password works on both sites. There are still a few legacy games with forums on both but we're trying to streamline it. Some people have issues with multiple logins on different sites and if you have any login issues support will sort it out and once done it will work forever!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

must agree some good games seem to be being dropped into the depths and having to look very hard to find some, and tbh not that old a type of game either, where as some older ones seem to be higher in the pecking order and not been hidden at all, so while it matter little to some, it can be a pain and a death blow to others
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

To try and minimize the duplication of forums going forwards we are having it either on Slitherine or Matrix but not both. There will be a redirect on the Slitherine/Matrix forum to the games forum on the other site. This way the dev team have one less place to manage and the community is less fragmented. Your username and password works on both sites. There are still a few legacy games with forums on both but we're trying to streamline it. Some people have issues with multiple logins on different sites and if you have any login issues support will sort it out and once done it will work forever!
A great idea.
There is also http://www.ageod-forum.com/forum.php for Ageod games.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I wonder how they decide what goes to Slitherine and what goes to Matrix. Personally I'd put the more groggy games here and the more casual games over at Slitherine.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I hope everything goes to Slitherine. I like the General Discussion chat over there better. They actually talk about wargames.[&o]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Note you can also access every games forum from its product page. Now there are over 200 games there are hundreds of subforums so navigating it is an increasing problem. We're looking for ways to make the forums easier to navigate. As a general rule the more active the forum the longer it stays at the top of the forum listings.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Note you can also access every games forum from its product page. Now there are over 200 games there are hundreds of subforums so navigating it is an increasing problem. We're looking for ways to make the forums easier to navigate. As a general rule the more active the forum the longer it stays at the top of the forum listings.
For what it is worth: My vote would be to keep CTGW forum here at Matrix!
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I wonder how they decide what goes to Slitherine and what goes to Matrix. Personally I'd put the more groggy games here and the more casual games over at Slitherine.

Here's what Ian posted on Slitherine to a thread I started asking about why some games only have the Matrix Logo, some only Slitherine logo, some both logos, and whay now some games are only being covered in one forum or the other.
Hi guys,

both Slitherine & Matrix are strong companies with strong communities and identities. If we used the Matrix forum as the basis for the future it would alienate Slitherine customers and vice versa.

We've experimented with various approaches over the last 5 years and we've decided the best thing to do is make all games available via both sites but to focus on presenting the games that each community is looking for. The Matrix audience is more interested in deeper hardcore strategy games and so we only put up news that is relevant to that. We only promote games that appeal to that audience. Hardcore wargames are Matrix branded - e.g. War in the West, Brother Against Brother etc. Slitherine games are general aimed at a slightly wider market though to the rest of the industry are still hardcore strategy games. This covers games like Panzer Coprs, Pandora, Order of Battle etc. These games are Slitherine branded.

We could just combine everything but we think we'd have a lot of unhappy people it we did. It would certainly make life simpler to do that but the simplest option is not always the best. To avoid duplicated forums the plan going forwards is to have only one forum per game either on Slitherine or Matrix, depending which umbrella it is under. You'll see a redirect in the forum pushing you to the appropriate forum on the other site. The combined login system should allow you to use your credentials on either site and if not tech support will sort it out (there were some logical issues with combining some accounts due to duplicated usernames and it takes a bit of manual setup to sort it all out).
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

How do you guys get registered for the Slitherine forum? I just tried but although am told I am already registered, I cannot login and when I try and create an account it says I've already got one?

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I hope everything goes to Slitherine. I like the General Discussion chat over there better. They actually talk about wargames.[&o]
warspite1

+1

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How do you guys get registered for the Slitherine forum? I just tried but although am told I am already registered, I cannot login and when I try and create an account it says I've already got one?

I have checked your account and your Slitherine account is already unified, so the same login details (username and password) should be enough for you to login at Slitherine. I suggest that you reset the password at:
http://samelogin.slitherine.com/Account ... urnUrl=%2F

IF you still experience issues than just email me at support[at]slitherine.co.uk and I will fix the issue.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

I have checked your account and your Slitherine account is already unified, so the same login details (username and password) should be enough for you to login at Slitherine. I suggest that you reset the password at:

IF you still experience issues than just email me at support[at]slitherine.co.uk and I will fix the issue.

warspite1

Thanks VP [:)]

CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

So Slitherine forums are the place to be anymore? This kinda like home though [:(]
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

I like the unified link, however VP their is no direct link to Slitherine forums like there is for the Matrix forums. Oversight? Can a link be place in that page?
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Okay, forgive me for being shallow here. With the Slitherine forum it feels very bland. The avatar system here lets members give a personal touch, I can glance at a familiar avatar and go "oh hey what did Warspite say". You can't do that over there.

One other thing thats mildly irritating to me. My name there is CarnageINC_slith, why this is and why I can't not seem to change it drives me nuts!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

One other thing thats mildly irritating to me. My name there is CarnageINC_slith, why this is and why I can't not seem to change it drives me nuts!
Indeed, you have an older Slitherine account named CarnageINC. Only this account is registered under a different email address than your other ones. So when you have logged in the Slitherine site/forum on the 28/05, the unified account system created a new account named CarnageINC_slith. The system would have only recognized your other Slitherine account CarnageINC, if:

1. You have previously merged that account in the Unifed Login System

2. If the Slitherine account was registerd under the same email address as the other accounts.

In short, you need to contact us support[at]slitherine.co.uk, so that we can reset your accounts passwords, split the CarnageINC_slith from your Unified account and merge the correct one to it.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I like the unified link, however VP their is no direct link to Slitherine forums like there is for the Matrix forums. Oversight? Can a link be place in that page?
Please remember that while the Slitherine forum account shares the same details as the site account, that's not the case on Matrix. On Matrix you have a forum account and a members account. I don't know why the original Matrix web designers opted for having two accounts. Maybe it was related with security.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Okay, forgive me for being shallow here. With the Slitherine forum it feels very bland. The avatar system here lets members give a personal touch, I can glance at a familiar avatar and go "oh hey what did Warspite say". You can't do that over there.
Maybe one day this will change. [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”