Programming language

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

robinsa

Programming language

Post by robinsa »

Hello everyone

I'm just curious as to what programming language was used to make this beast? C++?

Are there any tools we currently lack in the community? And finally, has there been any effort to help tracker get rid of Java? ;)
wdolson

RE: Programming language

Post by wdolson »

Most games for desktops are written in C and C++, there is too much of an overhead hit for interpreted languages like C# or Java.

I've never been able to get tracker to work on either of my primary use computers. I have a lot of development tools installed and I think they interfere with Tracker in some way, but I haven't had the patience to figure it out. I'm a big fan of programs with as much as possible directly linked into the program. That makes them as independent as possible from the vagaries of system installations, which leads to fewer tech support hassles.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

I also think it was written in a combination of C and C++. Personally I don't have Java installed and as such I cannot run tracker either which is why I asked if there has been any thought of making a non-java version. I'm somewhat of a novice programmer but I would be willing to chip in if there is a tool that the community is missing. I will however be away for most of the summer so it would have to be closer to autumn.
dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

There is a way to forgo the separate install of a Java runtime environment to your system but the developer would have to rewrite the entire UI to take advantage of it.

http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/deploym ... erview.htm (Launched as a self-contained application)

It would be great if the game exe could be rewritten to include tracker type reporting inline with the rest of the game in its own programming language. Of course that's been asked for time and time again.
Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I happen to know what the game was written in, I wrote part of it and I have the source code.

An in game tracker type tool would be nice, but an expansion of that type with the current code infrastructure would be very difficult to do.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”