Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: Unorthodox

Post by obvert »

Yes, the Scen 2 helps with the number of units and air groups of course.

He played with abandon with airframes, not considering losses due to his souped-up industrial capacity with India and China in hand. Very different, but still, gives some clues how to defend this kind of hold on the Northern areas.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

early Hokkaido and Taiwan and Oki are a far more common occurrence than any other direct assault in the war.

These eventualities have to be a part of any defensive strategy.

Obviously very tough to do if you don't strip Manchukuo. But then if you last that long, it is a victory in an of itself
Andy M
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Yes, the Scen 2 helps with the number of units and air groups of course.

He played with abandon with airframes, not considering losses due to his souped-up industrial capacity with India and China in hand. Very different, but still, gives some clues how to defend this kind of hold on the Northern areas.

If I read Radar correctly, he at first tried to hold Hokkaido, then realized the inability to do so. I was actually a little stronger here than he was with 2 more tank regiments.

I am going to try and hold the fort city, that will at least close the straits for his surface ships and give him ground troops to bomb.

He then tried to protect the HI and turned it into a total defensive war, with select counter attacks as the Allies get sloppy. He was going for favorable victory point ratio pretty much, but he still wanted to protect Luzon and the conquered western provinces.

I have totally eliminated almost all plane r&d, and moved to really jack up plane production. I get two more carriers shortly, and will attempt then to put together a KB raiding force again.

Lots, and Lots of troops heading back, and the goal becomes prevent an invasion on the western HI. Throwing away planes and ships on less than well thought out opportunities is a loser.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

We shall see what kind of victory points I can garner here while he is still relatively weak.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Some of the best lessons are the hardest.

Think how much better you will do with a Scenario 2 game started from the beginning.
Just watching over your sholder has helped me understand the game.

I just shifted 7th Inf/A to Kurisho in my game (15th March 1942) and more will come later.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: obvert

+1

I disagree. Bombing the beaches made sense to me. Great that there's VPs now from the ships, but... just bombing out Sapporo will make those points back for him several times over. You really need to pay attention to land combats to see the effects of disruption, but it's there. Even if your bombs cause no casualties.

With three US Divisions, plus tanks, it would take a hell of a lot of bombers to drive disruption up to the point that it could overcome a 4:1 advantage in raw AV. Perhaps you could do it if there was no opposition in the air.

Otherwise, between Allied bombing and bombardment efforts and the disparity in troops, there was little chance Japan could have held on to the base.

I've seen it happen in a few cases. Not against divisions as much as against smaller units, but it's only a matter of scale.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I disagree. Bombing the beaches made sense to me. Great that there's VPs now from the ships, but... just bombing out Sapporo will make those points back for him several times over. You really need to pay attention to land combats to see the effects of disruption, but it's there. Even if your bombs cause no casualties.

I understand the bombing the invasion hex. The only supply there is in the units themselves, bombing would raise disruption and increase supply consumption hopefully diminishing his attacks.

So maybe you are right. Heck, I dunno.[;)]

However, the only way I think I could have held was flying in troops to Kushiro on the first day the invasion moved south. I didn't. Nor did anyone recommend that I do so. Instead I reinforced the island, and simply moved 2/3rd of a division there.

Such is the fortunes of war.[:)]

Now it is to dealing with the current situation, making the Allies pay as high a cost as possible, and to hold on to what I can in Hokkaido.

I kind of feel sorry for you Lok, since you are already facing Kamis against MM, and he supersized his squadrons. My goodness, how that would have changed the battle here.

They haven't seen action yet but they will.

Also, the only supply being that which is in the units is not entirely accurate. I've landed units and 20K supply at a base (just did it against Arto). If I click on the stack of units, it shows a Ground Unit info screen. It shows all the supply. I want to say that when I landed at Munda against him I had a USMC division, some arty, and an HQ....and 60K supply. Obviously that doesn't all fit in the units' organic stockpiles. But it was there and remained there when I took the base.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Some of the best lessons are the hardest.

Think how much better you will do with a Scenario 2 game started from the beginning.
Just watching over your sholder has helped me understand the game.

I just shifted 7th Inf/A to Kurisho in my game (15th March 1942) and more will come later.

Forts. And not only forts, but transfer the restricted divisions to a free General Defense HQ so as to cost a lot less in PP. Prep the HQ army units too. But if you build up one area, and leave another weak, then the Allies will simply bypass. No easy answers.

You will need much more than the 7th A there.

A couple months after invading Hokkaido, Greyjoy invaded with over 6000 AV. Radar met it with 6,000 AV. I doubt I can get a total of 6000 on the HI in two months. I will try, I guess I am half way there now.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
You will need much more than the 7th A there.

Yes I know. There is about 22 months difference in our game times, so I am taking notes now. My opponent is very aggressive as well.

Lighting a candle for you at Yasukuni Shrine.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The next day.

For the first time in a while, no Japanese torpedo bombers make a night run.

During the day, a nice wave of bombers goes in at Kushiro, before the sweeps. I lose a lot of planes and secure one hit. Many more bombers coming after this, 800 all told. It will be a long day.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (127.77 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

When I get sweeped the combat seems to take forever, but here the sweep is over very quickly.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

A decent raid, after George sweeps. Still, losses are heavy for not that much gain.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

A small splinter raid costs 6 Oscars and 8 Betties, but they get a CVE with a lucky bomb drop.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Tony does pretty well.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Hopefully the Deathstar stays out there.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (87.34 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

For the cost of 250 Japanese planes, I managed to sink most likely two CVEs, set one Battleship on fire, and damage two more.

I managed to put damage on Kushiro, and Bihoro is heavily damaged. But, Allied engineers repair Kunashiri and grow it to level 2. It will be huge shortly.

I also shot down a dozen P47s, but the Allies lost only 50 planes all told, almost all fighters.
Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

So, I guess the Allies can fly in fresh planes from the Carriers to protect all the shipping...

I wonder if the Deathstar will move back into the area or go after Paramushiro?

He has a huge convoy (I am guessing, 10 ships spotted, but I guess it is huge -- they all are) and it is probably loaded up with 2000 planes heading from Aluetians and is south and east of Paramushiro now.

I guess barges aren't so horrible. In one day, they picked up and transported a full brigade to Hakodate and disbanded. Some of the barges had 0 fuel when created, and they refueled, picked up a third of division and are unloading now.

I think the CD guns and mines might scare the Allies from wandering in here again. Hakodate that is.

I made quite a few barges, in case the Allies decided to bomb them...didn't realize they were this fast.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Next up is Invasion Honshu.

I have to prepare to fight a 6000 point invasion fleet in two months. My guess is Sendai/Iwaki, but really could be anywhere.

10 Depot divisions don't go nearly far enough...especially with 35 morale and 50 experience.

Strategy for tomorrow is to sweep again. Rest the bombers.

Prepare for an invasion.

Reinforce Hakodate and Muroran.

Look to hurt cause damage...

I realize he might invade in the north middle of Honshu near Sadogashima. Okay, really everywhere.
Attachments
air losses.jpg
air losses.jpg (362.09 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Quick question. Tracker listed 14 destroyed P47s yesterday, the game 11.

Tracker lists 160 P47s destroyed all told. The game lists 191. I take it that tracker is much more accurate?

He gets slightly less than 600 of these beasts and production stops next month. The Allies have 4-5 squadrons over in Indochina, so it will take him a while to get them here even thru the upgrade/reinforcement route.

He seems to be flying the Jugs at 20K so as to really intercept and destroy bombers in Hokkaido.

However, the bad news is a better version of the P47 comes along at 175 per month starting in March. In three months the Allies get 700 of them.

Then no more P47s until 45 basically. So I need to down quite a few...but I do have a fighting chance. Without P47s the air war is a lot more even.

Now I won't have jets, but I will have Franks. Figure I need to lose 3-4000 Franks to take them out over 1944. I think I can do it. Or at I will try.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The much neglected Lilly dive bomber. They have done great service here in late 43 and early 44. Pity I lose one squadron in July of 44.

Late in 43, flying from Truk they savaged several destroyer TF with eyes on either bombarding or raiding into or past Truk.

Here is 44, three of the squadrons flying from the Kuriles savaged transports and cargo ships sending troops to the bottom. A strong enough showing that cause the Allies to divert CVE and the Deathstar to attack their airfields.

That dissipation in Allied fighter strength allowed me to damage 2 CVEs and 3 Battleships last turn.

They will rest for a couple of days, and then be ready for those 11 hex raids once again.

Attachments
airlosses.jpg
airlosses.jpg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 82 times

Return to “After Action Reports”